Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooling post charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to know if anyone else is seeing this, Tesla service tech tells me it is "typical behaviour" for batteries the age of mine.

For past 6 months or so (i.e. since upgrade xxxIforget) anytime I have charged to over 80% SOC a pump (now confirmed as the cooling pump) runs for hours, up to 8, when the car is left sitting idle! This is a big pump and uses up some of the kms I just spent time putting in.

After asking for 6 months and being told nothing, a Tesla tech has now called me and advises this behaviour is now a feature of the BMS to optimise the life of “older batteries “. Mine is a Sept 2015 build with 60,000 kms so not that older! This even happens charging at 2.4kW on mobile charger, and anywhere over 80% SOC. So I charge at 10 km/hr (6.1 mi/hr) then loses up to 2 km/hr just sitting idle. Is this being experienced by anyone else? Pump makes a high pitched mechanical whine/ringing under hood when running.

You would guess this is to ensure that any hotspots are continuously cooled past some danger period for the batteries at high SOC, maybe it is a protection developed after the charging fires a year or so ago? What do you people think? It is not a major problem, but if you charge to just get to your next destination with a bit of comfort, but then don't leave immediately, the bit of comfort has evaporated by the time you actually leave.

I am experiencing the exact same thing. It is a bit of a drag to lose charge you just put in, on the other hand I would rather not have my house burn down. I'm just wondering what a new pump is going to cost me when this one wears out after running 8 hours a day every day?

maybe it is a protection developed after the charging fires a year or so ago?
Yes, that is exactly why. They put some extra EXTRA safeguards in on the old batteries to try to prevent that. It is probably overkill for most of them, but they are wanting to be extremely cautious about it. I have a March 2014 S85, and since that update several months ago, it does the same thing, and I hear that whining most mornings when I go out into the garage to leave for work (which I'm not doing now--laptop camping).

Yep, my BMS cooling loop pump runs pretty much all the time now. I can hear it when I'm (otherwise silently) rolling into work searching for parking. Before the beginning of this year when my MCU1 started to die, it was likely drowned out by the music I was playing, but since I now get to drive in tomb-like silence, the pump is very noticeable.

I still haven't had an electrician out to install a proper charger so I use the spare mobile charger I have on a 120V outlet; 4mi/hr except when the pump kicks on and that gets cut in half. Had to start hitting up the local Superchargers which probably aren't doing my 85kWhr pack any favors on health/longevity :-/

Yes, that is exactly why. They put some extra EXTRA safeguards in on the old batteries to try to prevent that. It is probably overkill for most of them, but they are wanting to be extremely cautious about it. I have a March 2014 S85, and since that update several months ago, it does the same thing, and I hear that whining most mornings when I go out into the garage to leave for work (which I'm not doing now--laptop camping).

I have two identical models model s p85d and one of the cars has the same problem, in cold winter time I disconnected the main battery for a month and after connecting a month later the pumps were also turned on and worked up to 8 hours, I think this is a problem with the thermal controllers !! I made a lot of observations and noticed that in the problem machine, the cid MSU falls asleep much later, even after a charge level of 80%

Interested to know if anyone else is seeing this, Tesla service tech tells me it is "typical behaviour" for batteries the age of mine.

For past 6 months or so (i.e. since upgrade xxxIforget) anytime I have charged to over 80% SOC a pump (now confirmed as the cooling pump) runs for hours, up to 8, when the car is left sitting idle! This is a big pump and uses up some of the kms I just spent time putting in.

After asking for 6 months and being told nothing, a Tesla tech has now called me and advises this behaviour is now a feature of the BMS to optimise the life of “older batteries “. Mine is a Sept 2015 build with 60,000 kms so not that older! This even happens charging at 2.4kW on mobile charger, and anywhere over 80% SOC. So I charge at 10 km/hr (6.1 mi/hr) then loses up to 2 km/hr just sitting idle. Is this being experienced by anyone else? Pump makes a high pitched mechanical whine/ringing under hood when running.

did you solve this problem?

This is happening to me, but at what seems all SoCs now.

I charged to 50% yesterday, it completed around 7pm, and the pumps only ran around 20-30%. When I unplugged from the wall, after the 50% set point had been reached, the pumps ramp up to 100% and will run non-stop. If I open a door, they slow back to 20-30% until I close the door, then they ramp back to 100%. I woke up this morning, pumps still running 100% and battery was down to 45%.

Here's what's interesting for me, it doesn't happen when plugged in. I plugged the car back in, it topped off to 50% and the pumps stayed at the 20-30%. So to test the repeatability, I unplugged from the wall, and sure enough they ramped back to 100%.

I tried turning the car "off" from the UI, but as soon as I close the door, they ramp back to 100%. Its very frustrating, and the sound is annoying, but I guess this is preventing my garage/house from burning down?

Aside from charging, they seem to also run after a short drive. I have a 13mi commute home from work. Last week, I arrived home at 6ish pm and the battery was at 38%. The pumps ramped up to 100% after I exited the vehicle, and were still running 100% when I last checked on the car for the night, around 930pm.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H