Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corded Mobile Connector or Gen 3 Wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be having 60 amp service added for my MY. Ordered the Corded Mobile Connector (as the Gen 3 is backordered and I have a delivery date of 8/7) but wondering which gives me the best bang for the buck in the longer term. Thanks!

Your new car comes with the corded mobile connector - do you want two? If not, use the one that comes with your car until the wall connector is back in stock. Remember too that you'll need a 14-50 receptacle for level 2 chargring with the corded mobile connector

Reactions: lolguy
Will be having 60 amp service added
Cool.
Ordered the Corded Mobile Connector
Uh oh.
Seconding all that @user212_nr was saying, that Corded Mobile Connector is a fixed plug on the end that must go into a 14-50 outlet. A 14-50 outlet can't be put on a 60A circuit, so for now, you would need to change that to a 50A breaker, and you will only be able to get 40A charging current. So I guess the point is kind of what @jeffbco mentioned, that what you bought is almost a duplicate of the mobile charge cable that comes with the car, except it does do higher current, but can't change plug adapters. You really didn't need to buy this at all and should have just waited for the wall connector to get back in stock.

You kind of got yourself into a pickle on cost though. It is certainly easy to switch this out later. Make sure you have wire capable of 60A, and then later, you can take the 14-50 outlet off, change the breaker to 60A and mount a wall connector. But that will be an extra $500 to buy that, beyond the $500ish you just spent for the Corded Mobile Connector you didn't need.

Thanka, all. Much appreciated. Have asked Tesla to notify once the Wall Connectors are back in stock and it seems the route I've chosen comes with some extra cost. We'll go the 14-50 on a 50A breaker and see what things hold for the future re upping the amps and charger. That doesn't have to happen now but I will have a satisfactory home charging solution on delivery day...and an extra corded mobile connector!

Reactions: pt19713
Thanka, all. Much appreciated. Have asked Tesla to notify once the Wall Connectors are back in stock and it seems the route I've chosen comes with some extra cost. We'll go the 14-50 on a 50A breaker and see what things hold for the future re upping the amps and charger. That doesn't have to happen now but I will have a satisfactory home charging solution on delivery day...and an extra corded mobile connector!
It's not a problem to just stick with what you've got long term. I've still been using my original 2014 mobile connector permanently in my garage for over 6.5 years.

Thanks. Have you ever found need for the cable while out, do you just travel with it or did you purchase a second?

Plenty of people use them in the case of visiting friends/relatives, campsites, but you are not just going to stumble across a 14-50 at the mall. Its also of limited use in the case of an empty battery, since it will usually be better to get towed than to charge on a regular outlet.

The public charging stations besides superchargers are J1772, Chademo, and CCS.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have the tesla wall charger at home, and keep the one that came with the Y in the trunk. i went with the wall charger because it looks pretty and can charge faster (i sometimes do "quickturns" at work, where I get home late at night and have to turn around in the morning, so I do actually need the little extra boost, at least thats what I tell my self),

At work, we have 120 available for block heaters (live in mn). So i'm going to just plug into that while at work to at least keep the battery warm and warm up the interior, don't expect a charge.

Thanks. Have you ever found need for the cable while out, do you just travel with it or did you purchase a second?
"Ever"? Well, only while traveling out of town on a trip. But for daily use driving around town? No--never. And no, I never bought a second one. There wouldn't ever be any point. You're not going to use up over 200 miles of range driving around town doing normal stuff. But every few months for a trip, sure, I may pull it from the garage and put it in the car. But even for some short or medium length trips, I usually don't even bring it then, if I'm traveling on interstates with Supercharger coverage and going to be in any kind of decent sized city, because that will have some charging station infrastructure. It's really extremely uncommon that you would even find an opportunity where you could plug into an outlet instead of using some kind of charging station. This is 2020 now, not 2014, so charging resources are way better.

Back in 2014, yes, I did some adventures in areas before Superchargers, so I used an RV campground, and on a long 5,000+ mile trip across the country in 2018, I stayed overnight at my Mom's and then cousin's houses, so sure, I plugged into outlets in their garages overnight, because I was there anyway, so sure.

I believe there is a “federal tax credit of 30% of the cost of purchasing and installing an EV charging station” through the end of 2020, but I’m guessing that only applies to installing an actual ‘charger’ not wiring up NEMA plug. You’ll need to research that on your own, but might help sway your decision one way or the other.

I currently rent and am able to use the dryer plug in my garage with 10-30 adapter and the mobile connector that came with the car. (15 mpg per hour which is plenty). If I go on a long trip there is the possibility I forget to bring the mobile cord with me, but so far Covid has put the kibosh on any long trips.

"Ever"? Well, only while traveling out of town on a trip. But for daily use driving around town? No--never. And no, I never bought a second one. There wouldn't ever be any point. You're not going to use up over 200 miles of range driving around town doing normal stuff. But every few months for a trip, sure, I may pull it from the garage and put it in the car. But even for some short or medium length trips, I usually don't even bring it then, if I'm traveling on interstates with Supercharger coverage and going to be in any kind of decent sized city, because that will have some charging station infrastructure. It's really extremely uncommon that you would even find an opportunity where you could plug into an outlet instead of using some kind of charging station. This is 2020 now, not 2014, so charging resources are way better.

Back in 2014, yes, I did some adventures in areas before Superchargers, so I used an RV campground, and on a long 5,000+ mile trip across the country in 2018, I stayed overnight at my Mom's and then cousin's houses, so sure, I plugged into outlets in their garages overnight, because I was there anyway, so sure.
Have you tested the cable to make sure everythingl works?

Have you tested the cable to make sure everythingl works?
I don't understand what you mean. What do you mean by "Have you tested the cable?" I use it every day. It's my permanent at home charging solution that hangs on the wall in my garage.

The question I was answering was if I had ever found a need to use it while "out". And generally no, not often, so I only put it in the car a few times a year.

Last edited:
At my first home in Atlanta, I use the wall connector Gen 2. I have a second home in Hilton Head Islands with a NEMA 14-50 socket. Prior going to my second home, I checked the mobile connector. It dd not work at all. Problem is one of the communication signal pin is misaligned. I was able to get a replacement at the Service Center the next day. I was told that I am not the only one with this problem.
Yes, make sure that the mobile connector works prior a long trip away from home.

The Gen 3 Wall Connector does not need a neutral wire, but the 14-50 receptacle does. To save some money and to make it easy for your electrician, wire for a 60A/240V circuit for the future Gen 3 Wall, but install a 6-50 receptacle on the wall for now with a 50A breaker. The 6-50 receptacle does not need a neutral wire, and Tesla sells a 6-50 adapter. When the Gen 3 Wall comes in, replace the 6-50 with the Gen 3 Wall and replace the 50A breaker with a 60A breaker.

Good Luck!

Do you know the difference in charging speed between a Gen 3 Wall Connector and the Corded Mobile Connector?
We are having an electrician come today to discuss installing either a NEMA-14-50 outlet or a wall connector (after it is back in stock). Only 50 Amps available.
Hoping to order my first Tesla, a Model Y LR AWD later this week, but want to figure this out first.
Thanks in advance.

Do you know the difference in charging speed between a Gen 3 Wall Connector and the Corded Mobile Connector?
Yes.
We are having an electrician come today to discuss installing either a NEMA-14-50 outlet or a wall connector (after it is back in stock). Only 50 Amps available.
Oh, well then there will be no difference.
The wall connector is a configurable device that can be put on many levels of circuits, up to 60A. It will pass through 80% of whatever the circuit rating is, as per code.

The corded mobile connector just has a molded-on 14-50 plug and will pass through 40A on a 50A rated circuit. That's exactly the same as a wall connector would do on a 50A circuit too.

These don't really do any "charging", per se, so neither one will really be faster. They are just relays that pass the AC electricity through into the car. So as long as neither is limited by something else, they will pass the same connection through. For instance, the regular mobile cord that comes with the car can only pass a maximum of 32A no matter what, even if it's plugged into a 14-50. So the "corded" version is built for a bit higher power there.

Or another limiting factor could be the onboard charger inside the car. For instance, the short range and mid range Model 3s only had a 32A charger onboard, so even if you had 40 or 48 amps available, it just couldn't use all of that. The long range battery cars are being built with that 48A capable charger inside, so they can take more.

• Informative
Reactions: Rg3500
Hoping to order my first Tesla, a Model Y LR AWD later this week, but want to figure this out first.
Thanks in advance.
If I'm not mistaken if you're limited to a 50a CB you won't get maximum charging from the Wall Connector so I would opt for 14-50 outlet and use the Tesla mobile connector that came with the car (with appropriate 14-50 plug) or aftermarket like JuiceBox 40. This has been discussed ad nauseam so a search may dig up better info.

This has been discussed ad nauseam so a search may dig up better info.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks Jeffbco. The problem is I found so many 2018 and early 2019 posts that I didn't know if they were relevant to the Corded Mobile Connector and Wall Charger Tesla is selling today. But you and Rocky_H gave me the information I needed, thank you. I will order a Corded Mobile Connector and have a 14-50 outlet installed.

I had my 14-50 outlet installed yesterday and charged my MY for the first time last night using the included cable (after having to buy the 14-50 adapter at the SC for $35...smh). It charged at 32A. My Juicebox 40 gets delivered on Monday and that will get me 40A charging and allow me to keep the cable in the car. Thanks, all!