TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Corn ethanol backlash

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by TEG, Feb 21, 2008.

1. insndrvr

insndrvr Member

I never did think that using a food product to create an alternative fuel would be a good idea. Now using the biomass that we already generate to create fuels is a good idea if it can be done without releasing tons of carbon in the conversion process.

I know they have the technology and are currently building a plant in the Orlando, FL area that can convert just about any biomass waste into biodiesel without a lot of energy input into the system. We need more solutions like that and algae growth to make into fuels, not growing crops from scratch.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#5 vfx, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
    Ethanol takes a first big hit to the solarplexes.

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Another effect of ethanol was the dissolving of built in fiberglass fuel tanks in boats. This clogged fuel systems, ruined engines, and cost thousands to cut out and replace the failing tanks. Also, water absorption of ethanol leading to phase separation causing corrosion in metal fuel tanks. Great stuff.

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

#8 JRP3, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    May be more efficient?
    I'd say there is no "may" about it.
    What toxic metals are used in lithium battery manufacturing, and do they get released into the environment? I'll be there is more toxic metal, (lead), in the single starting battery of any ICE, including ethanol powered, than in a whole EV pack of lithium.

If anyone else has trouble making the link work as I did this one seems to be better http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12319686?source=rss

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

To add to JRP3's observation.
    May?

MAY!?

8. Tdave

Tdave Member

So which produces more electricity? An acre of switchgrass, or an acre of solar power? Is it even close?

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Resurrecting an old thread...

Good to see that the U.S. has, after thirty years, eliminated the direct federal subsidy for ethanol. NYTimes article here.

Lest we think that the federal government isn't tilting the field towards ethanol still, however, the EPA also released its new Renewable Fuels Standards, which requires 15.2 billion gallons of the nation's fuels to be renewable -- primarily corn-based ethanol. So, ethanol is still getting a boost that it wouldn't in a unrestricted marketplace.