Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cornering Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 99% sure this is possible with a simple software update and not a lot of coding but BMW, Mercedes and Audi have a cornering lamp that comes on when your speed is under 25 or 20 MPH and you A.) Hit your turn signal under a certain speed or B.) the steering wheel gets turned to or past a certain degree so that you can see the the outside turn better. It helps when you're turning into your driveway at night or when you're at an intersection and turning and they come on so you can see if anyone is walking across the street. This light can be the fog lights (how BMW does it on their X cars) or integrated into the headlight cluster (How Audi and Mercedes do it). This is not to be confused with adaptive headlights that swivel.

Anyway, it would be a great add-on and I'm somewhat certain it wouldn't take a lot of work to do. Anyone else think this would be useful?

I'm 99% sure this is possible with a simple software update and not a lot of coding but BMW, Mercedes and Audi have a cornering lamp that comes on when your speed is under 25 or 20 MPH and you A.) Hit your turn signal under a certain speed or B.) the steering wheel gets turned to or past a certain degree so that you can see the the outside turn better. It helps when you're turning into your driveway at night or when you're at an intersection and turning and they come on so you can see if anyone is walking across the street. This light can be the fog lights (how BMW does it on their X cars) or integrated into the headlight cluster (How Audi and Mercedes do it). This is not to be confused with adaptive headlights that swivel.

Anyway, it would be a great add-on and I'm somewhat certain it wouldn't take a lot of work to do. Anyone else think this would be useful?

I like the idea, a lot. But to be clear, this is not a recent or a particularly European feature. Cadillac has offered Cornering Lights since 1962. (I've never owned a Cadillac other than a massive 1947 Fleetwood 75 Division Window project car, but I have seen these lights in operation and they work great.)

A Tribute To The Most Un-Appreciated Light: The Cornering Light

The Caddy system was straightforward, powering-on the steady light when the turn signal stalk was activated with headlights or parking lights on. You could create this in any older car with some wires, relays, clear marker lamps and some of that quality time contorted into the footwells under the dash..

Assuming that access to these switches and wiring might be a lot less straightforward in a Tesla or other computerized car, I think a cornering light system could probably be created using decoded status from the OBD port. I have not done any project like that but others here probably have.

• Informative
Reactions: HotIce
Model X (and I assume S too) has it. I love corning lights. So Tesla certainly already knows how to do it and has the code. Maybe it's one of those things they release later so it feels like you got some new feature they always planned on in the first place ;)
My 2014 s has cornering lights(separate lamps). With the headlamps on 3/y being adjustable it would make sense but complicated due to regulations.