Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps enthusiastic thread participants should declare a war on sugar if they want to save the most lives.
Then we'd all just die of cancer. :p

Comparing the intrinsic IFR of the different variants seems fiendishly difficult. Was the actual IFR of Delta 3 times the original or is that assuming the same standard of care? There were huge advances in treatments and therapeutics between the first wave and Delta. And of course there were vaccines too...

COVID seems to be about to make a comeback in San Diego. Grrr... (Note log scale, we're about 30x below peak)
1647615077300.png

BA.2 has taken over San Diego Wastewater Surveillance - SEARCH
1647615251155.png

I think we can find research that shows lower cancer rates with those that consume fewer calories or higher cancer rates with those that consume more sugar. :)
Sure, but the ultimate death rate is 100%. You could decrease cancer rates at every age but ultimately increase your chances of dying from cancer (because you live longer). Anyway it was a joke! Eating healthy and not being overweight is good.

Reactions: Terminator857
Then we'd all just die of cancer. :p

Comparing the intrinsic IFR of the different variants seems fiendishly difficult. Was the actual IFR of Delta 3 times the original or is that assuming the same standard of care? There were huge advances in treatments and therapeutics between the first wave and Delta. And of course there were vaccines too...

COVID seems to be about to make a comeback in San Diego. Grrr... (Note log scale, we're about 30x below peak)
View attachment 782513
BA.2 has taken over San Diego Wastewater Surveillance - SEARCH
View attachment 782514

Looks like a COVID really was nearly over in June 2021. Only 10x higher risk right now I guess.

Perhaps enthusiastic thread participants should declare a war on sugar if they want to save the most lives.
We definitely should. But its not just "sugar" .... all simple carbs. My BG goes up equally fast with white bread as it does with sucrose. Full 40% of Americans are Diabetic / pre-diabetic.

ps : It is interesting that "diet" pop drinks are so common, yet low-carb deserts and other food items are a niche. Much more readily available now because of popularity of keto now than 10 years back - but it is hardly widespread unlike diet drinks.

I'm curious if there is math behind the 10x higher risk guess? How is risk calculated in this case? From my perspective it is lower, because most people have already been infected. In June 2021 delta was coming, now we have perhaps omicron 2.
Just basing it roughly on the amount of COVID in wastewater.

Potentially risks might be lower now since I’m boosted, but hard to know. I was just talking about infection risk, not outcome.

I live in a place which has not had a lot of natural infection, so it’s possible I am less safe from infection than when there was 10x less COVID circulating (of a less infectious variety, too!) in June 2021.

I just use the wastewater as a proxy for how many people are currently infected, which seems like it should translate to risk. The data are a bit noisy, so I don’t get fired up by a few high days, after someone took a good dump.

Not sure why you're focused on sugar, what your link shows is that obesity increases risk of cancer. Excess caloric intake is the cause of obesity.
The type of calories matters. The evil of sugar / refined carbs:
  1. It is a signal for your body to fatten up(ref)
  2. With sugar and refined carbs your body doesn't get a sense of full, instead it wants more. With protein and fat, body does get a sense of fullness so less chance of over eating.(ref) This is the basis of the keto diet.
  3. Some 10+ years ago I read research or someone's theory that high cholesterol is insufficient for causing fattening of the arteries. Needs to be combined with carbs to trigger hardening of arteries.
Note carbs are not evil for those that can benefit from fattening up, especially the young and skinny.

Last edited:
The evil of sugar / refined carbs:
  1. It is a signal for your body to fatten up(ref)
High fructose corn syrup does not = all carbs or even all sugar.
From your reference:
Today, the leading sugar in terms of negative health effects is fructose (2). This monosaccharide, also known as fruit sugar, is twice as sweet as glucose and used to be consumed in a balanced fructose-to-glucose ratio, together with the fiber, vitamins, and minerals as present in fruits. However, increasing amounts of free fructose are used in Western diets, with some soft drinks even containing twice as much fructose compared to glucose (3).
Finally I'll just point out that the populations with the greatest whole food carb intakes, i.e. eat the most plants, generally have the lowest BMI, contrary to your claims that carbs cause obesity. Switching to whole food plant based eating usually leads to weight loss, not gain, the opposite of your claims.

Reactions: madodel and CatB
High fructose corn syrup does not = all carbs or even all sugar.
From your reference:

Finally I'll just point out that the populations with the greatest whole food carb intakes, i.e. eat the most plants, generally have the lowest BMI, contrary to your claims that carbs cause obesity. Switching to whole food plant based eating usually leads to weight loss, not gain, the opposite of your claims.
You seem to be mis quoting me. I have not stated that "all carbs". Plant intake does not equal sugar / refined carbs. Plant intake is associated with a low calorie diet which is known to be beneficial.

Reactions: FlatSix911
You were also saying "sugar" but referring to high fructose corn syrup which is a specific type of sugar with specific properties different from other sugars.
Which specific properties different from other sugars are those? High fructose corn syrup is frequently used as a synonym for sugar in research papers. Here is an example:

Last edited: