Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3
The latest Helix virus sequencing survey suggests that BA.2 has been taking over at a fairly rapid pace in the areas covered by their testing over the last month. It now represents 33% of their sequences as of March 6.

183D90D0-82DF-4A06-A2FC-FB1ECF838EC9.jpeg

Re: China, I'd heard news like Foxconn halts production as Shenzhen goes into lockdown and Shenzhen lockdown could impact Mac Studio shipments | AppleInsider today.

Re: California, the spike that began March 6th at SARS-CoV-2 Sewage Monitoring Data - Emergency Operations Center - County of Santa Clara is a bit concerning. I wonder if has peaked or it'll continue rising? Will other cities in the Bay Area see that soon too?
What a difference a few days in Palo Alto makes... the spike there (began March 6th) has come back down.

Regarding China, now there's China's Covid spike worsens: Dongguan factory center locks down, new cases top 3,500 nationwide.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
This is not wise - it goes against everything we know we should be doing - as cases drop to very low levels, we should be pouring substantial additional funding into bolstering the systems to respond to future surges (which seem certain, at least at the state level). Hopefully they can work out a way to actually pass some sensible funding through the Senate.

This is just nuts - vote against masks when we're still in the middle of a pandemic in places were people are tightly packed together and masks cause very little issue inconvenience, yet we still continue security theater without complaint.

The death toll for COVID in the states? Around 1,000,000 people and climbing every day - currently around 1,200 / day are dying from COVID.
The death toll for 911? Around 3,000 people.

Humans are apparently very bad at judging risk.

This is just nuts - vote against masks when we're still in the middle of a pandemic in places were people are tightly packed together and masks cause very little issue inconvenience, yet we still continue security theater without complaint.

The death toll for COVID in the states? Around 1,000,000 people and climbing every day - currently around 1,200 / day are dying from COVID.
The death toll for 911? Around 3,000 people.

Humans are apparently very bad at judging risk.
Wear a mask if you want. Its not a pandemic. Its endemic. I just had covid, and it was very mild. Got it from my 84 year old grandma who had the same symptoms as me. Basically nothing. If you are scared stay home, let everyone else get on with life. Democrat poll numbers are so bad the restrictions wont go back in place regardless of what happens. You better put on your big boy pants or shelter in place if you are so scared. My suggestion? Get on with life.

Wear a mask if you want. Its not a pandemic. Its endemic. I just had covid, and it was very mild. Got it from my 84 year old grandma who had the same symptoms as me. Basically nothing. If you are scared stay home, let everyone else get on with life. Democrat poll numbers are so bad the restrictions wont go back in place regardless of what happens. You better put on your big boy pants or shelter in place if you are so scared. My suggestion? Get on with life.
Yet, from Googling for covid deaths us, which brings up NY Times data, current 7-day moving average of COVID deaths in the US is 1,026 in a day. That's still pretty terrible.

One airplane crash killing everyone aboard is tragic, but we're still having the equivalent of 3 or 4 of these EVERY day in the US. But, it's ok? Mild? Get on with life? Put on your big boy pants?

The worst flu season at Burden of Influenza killed 52,000 in a year in the US, or only 142/day if you spread it out over 365 days. If we got down to say 142 COVID deaths/day and stayed there or below, then yeah, probably the US would be fine w/that level of deaths, no masking, no social distancing, no at home school, no regular testing, etc.

As I posted earlier, COVID is surging in some places in China and Hong Kong. At last check, South Korea is getting hit hard again. Europe's hitting surges again: Covid cases rise in Europe as omicron subvariant spreads. Will the U.S. be next?.

Yet, from Googling for covid deaths us, which brings up NY Times data, current 7-day moving average of COVID deaths in the US is 1,026 in a day. That's still pretty terrible.

One airplane crash killing everyone aboard is tragic, but we're still having the equivalent of 3 or 4 of these EVERY day in the US. But, it's ok? Mild? Get on with life? Put on your big boy pants?
There is a big difference. Covid kills people who are unhealthy, old, close to death. Plane crash kills people in the prime of their life. Perhaps a better metric would be years lost due to death. Average age of covid death is 78?
The question becomes what measures are appropriate to save the unhealthy, old, close to death. I'm in favor of stronger measures during winter (current period), versus summer, when covid mortality rate is lower.

They don’t need GOP votes.

If they can’t get GOP to back this, how will they ever pass it if it’s not in reconciliation ?
It was in the bipartisan funding omnibus bill but had to be removed to get Republican votes. Not everything can go in to a reconciliation bill. And the last Reconciliation bill went down to defeat because 2 Dems wouldn't agree to it. Democrats need to pick up 2 Senate seats and hold on to the House in the midterm election to get actual control to get things done.

There is a big difference. Covid kills people who are unhealthy, old, close to death. Plane crash kills people in the prime of their life. Perhaps a better metric would be years lost due to death. Average age of covid death is 78?
The question becomes what measures are appropriate to save the unhealthy, old, close to death. I'm in favor of stronger measures during winter (current period), versus summer, when covid mortality rate is lower.
Ah, good 'old eugenics in action. Anyway, the facts don't back up your claims. Deaths of people younger than 65 account for around 25% of all COVID deaths.

Note that we're only looking at deaths - this does not count hospitalizations or the effects of long-COVID, where the numbers are far greater. Data from: COVID-19 Provisional Counts - Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics

2022-03-16_12-01.png

... Anyway, the facts don't back up your claims. ...
Which claims are you disputing? Average age of 78? The data doesn't dispute that, but confirms it. Yes there will be younger and older.
>Covid kills people who are unhealthy, old, close to death
I see that can be misconstrued. I should have added "or", so not interpreted as "and".

To add some evidence, do we know what percentage of those dying are vaccinated? Did the CDC previously state that those that are vaccinated and died from Covid had an average 4 comorbidities?

Last edited:
You better put on your big boy pants or shelter in place if you are so scared. My suggestion? Get on with life.
I find this funny, because all these people claiming others should put on their "put on their big boy pants" are the ones throwing baby-tantrums when faced with big-boy vaccinations and big-boy masks. Getting vaccinated and taking reasonable precautions such as wearing PPE when appropriate, IS the big-boy thing to do.

The little-boy thing? Throw caution to the wind and hope for the best.

Going back to my earlier 911-airport-security-measures analogy - the bulk of airport security is same as public displays of hand sanitizer and plexiglass "shields". Basically useless against providing any real protective measures.

Masks (preferably some 95 variant), ventilation and vaccines for COVID? All excellent protective measures with easily proven safety results.

Which claims are you disputing? Average age of 78? The data doesn't dispute that, but confirms it. Yes there will be younger and older.
>Covid kills people who are unhealthy, old, close to death
I see that can be misconstrued. I should have added "or", so not interpreted as "and".
I'm claiming that stating that just because the average age of death may very well be into the retirement age category (65+), that does not mean that very significant numbers of people who are younger are not dying. You claimed "Covid kills people who are unhealthy, old, close to death. Plane crash kills people in the prime of their life." This is not true or at the very least, a gross exaggeration of facts, and also stated, it does not account for hospitalizations or long-COVID cases which are far greater than deaths.

Either way, I guess you're with killing people as long as they are close to death. I guess we should encourage the spread of disease in elder-care facilities? You're right - why spend money, time and effort keeping people alive when they're going to die soon, anyway? Besides, I'm young and in my prime!

So long, grandma!