Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
15 year old kills herself

"Jo struggled amid the COVID-19 outbreak and having to stay home."

"There have been at least five reports of teen suicide in the Sacramento, Stockton and Oakdale areas in the past two weeks."

'Could happen to anybody’s kid': Stockton mother speaks out after daughter dies of suicide

What are we doing people? We are creating a disaster for our children. We are sacrificing our kids to save the grandparents, and that's wrong! The grandparents already got to live a full life. Let our kids do that! Now we are saddling them with trillions more debt. They will already have to face the onslaught of global warming and all the disaster that may bring. How much will that cost? How will they fare in 20 yrs, 30 yrs, 40 yrs from now? Please tell me oh wise people of TMC. No one is looking at the big picture. No one is looking ahead.
I only see more disasters ahead and trillions more spent. We are just digging a bigger and bigger hole.
Open the damn schools. I shudder to think of those 5 or 6 or 7 yr olds, stuck at home with abusive parents, with no one to notice signs of abuse (as teacher's often do in school), for what 5, 6 months on end? What a living nightmare.
I thought you were driven by data? Now you're posting anecdotes...
What is the normal suicide rate in the United States?
Why all the drama? There is still so much we don't know about this virus and how to treat COVID-19. We've only been in a state of emergency for A MONTH. Calm down. The world will be fine, one way or another.
If we stay locked down forever there will be no more global warming. :p

Very interesting video. In the middle there's the WHO representative who says "most of the transmission is happening inside the household"... oh jeez, that's what I've been saying on here the past couple days and been labeled a coo coo.
Did anyone actually call you coo coo for saying that you're more likely to spread the virus to people who are near you? Do you really think it makes much of a difference whether you're near someone for 12 hours a day versus 24 hours a day? The chance of transmission is basically 100% either way.

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4 and bkp_duke
First our meat packing companies are being shut down because of infected workers. Now this is really bad, a toilet paper mill has exploded in Maine! Seriously. Very dramatic video from someone’s dashcam likely. It’s been hard enough to find as it is, that and paper napkins.

from FoxNews. The ABCvideo tweet in the Fox News article is quite something to see. You need to watch the ABC video all the way through. Lucky truck drivers.

Maine toilet paper mill explosion draws tweet from Stephen King

More detailed report from ABC News.
Explosion caught on video damages paper mill; no one hurt

One report I read said that due to coronavirus restrictions there were fewer people in the area. Amazing no one was seriously hurt.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I thought you were driven by data? Now you're posting anecdotes...
What is the normal suicide rate in the United States?
Why all the drama? There is still so much we don't know about this virus and how to treat COVID-19. We've only been in a state of emergency for A MONTH. Calm down. The world will be fine, one way or another.
If we stay locked down forever there will be no more global warming. :p
So it's ok if kids are killing themselves huh? But let's shut it all down to save 80 yr olds?

There have already been reports of more child abuse and spousal/partner abuse in many cities. Duh... are you that dense? Not an anecdote. Kids and people are suffering, everywhere, not an anecdote - and how do you think that affects mental health? Just take a wild guess.

Why all the drama? Serious? It has been nothing but drama from your side for months. A total hysteria freak out.

Last edited:
Did anyone actually call you coo coo for saying that you're more likely to spread the virus to people who are near you? Do you really think it makes much of a difference whether you're near someone for 12 hours a day versus 24 hours a day? The chance of transmission is basically 100% either way.
What we don't know is, does it make a difference if it's 10 minutes vs 4 hours vs 8 hours vs 24 hrs. It matters because if the virus needs prolonged contact (ie a high viral load delivered over a long period) then SAH is bad if done after many infected (which most likely was the case in late March). This what the WHO guy is talking about. And I have heard, yes from doctors, that prolonged contact is needed. If that's the case, then shutting down parks is stupid; probably even shutting restaurants is stupid.

• Disagree
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Scotland did a 1,000 person sample anti-body test. They found 6 +ves.

EEID research group on Twitter

EVQjcNNXkAA9nQE.jpg
Testing data from Scotland (Trends in daily COVID-19 data - gov.scot)
March 17th 193 cases (35 cases per million)
March 23rd 499 cases (92 cases per million) All six positives came from the second sample March 21st-23rd.
March 23rd was also the beginning of stay at home order in Scotland.
Serological survey implies 32,570 cases (6000 cases per million) obviously with HUGE error bars. This is if you count both samples even though the first sample had zero positives.
April 15th 6,748 confirmed positive cases (1240 cases per million) and 699 deaths.

Hard to know what to make of this. Really need this virus to stop spreading to see where we're at!

Last edited:
Hmmm, wonder why they want to get that count up? The almighty and honest CDC.

Funny, how much fear driving the media did with the flu. Suddenly, corona comes around and the flu is child's play. I'm sure they will be back at it if the corona will ever die down.

No way CDC would monkey with the numbers to drive up fear to get some more of those flu shots out each year....no way...no conflicts of interest at that agency

When the prior post was made, I thought about responding “Cue up all the conspiracy theorists claiming they are trying to push up the numbers,” but thought better of it as it would just be noise. It’s all very predictable. People never disappoint!

've been saying on here the past couple days and been labeled a coo coo

I supported you on this! (See Iceland data discussion.) Still, spreading only in the family is better than the alternative in terms of number of cases. Substantially better.

So it's ok if kids are killing themselves huh? But let's shut it all down to save 80 yr olds?

There have already been reports of more child abuse and spousal/partner abuse in many cities. Duh... are you that dense? Not an anecdote. Kids and people are suffering, everywhere, not an anecdote - and how do you think that affects mental health? Just take a wild guess.

Why all the drama? Serious? It has been nothing but drama from your side for months. A total hysteria freak out.
Yes I'm serious.
You are posting anecdotes. If you want to talk anecdotes read up on the mental health issues that hospital workers in NYC are experiencing. Everyone is suffering because there's a global pandemic. Disease causes suffering, both directly and indirectly.
Maybe some kids are not committing suicide because they're escaping bullying at school right now. Fewer kids are losing their parents in car accidents because no one is driving. Overall mortality in the United States is down (at least that's what the guy in the video you posted said and it makes sense).
I don't think you're fully imagining what things would be like if we let this virus rip through the population.

Last edited:
What are we doing people? We are creating a disaster for our children. We are sacrificing our kids to save the grandparents, and that's wrong! The grandparents already got to live a full life. Let our kids do that!...

Yeah, I saw that movie...

Bye bye old people... you lived a full life...
Was 30 years old a good "cut-off" age?
Maybe 40 would be more reasonable?
Perhaps dqd88 can let us know what age is too old to be worth saving anymore?

-----
Or:
Miri (Star Trek: The Original Series) - Wikipedia
( Why bother with adults at all... Just let kids run things... )

Last edited:

As with any tragedy with human suffering, and that’s what this is, parents need to be talking to their kids. Had things been shutdown sooner all over and tracing was able to be done before it went wild, we wouldn’t have the number of deaths and suffering we have now. But they’re here now and the suffering and loss of life is our reality until cases can be reduced and a vaccine can be found.

Are you saying the life of a one person is any more valuable than another’s? Care to share your age? If you feel up to it maybe you’d like to volunteer along side some of our health care workers or nursing home staff. Love to know how you would take losing your family to it. Have your parents outlived their purpose in life? I don’t get your posts.

I have no idea but I'm sure they will also take all the measures he's complaining about if necessary. People act like this is some new thing but societies have been impinging on individual rights to combat infectious diseases throughout history. Overall it's been very good for humanity, I'm not sure why we should throw it out the window now. If you don't like it the election is coming up in November, I'm sure there will be some candidates who share your views.
Sadly they all seem to lie. Every War since WWII started on lies. And now we have learned to never end a war, much more profitable.
Not sure I can name them all, I think 8 if we include Somalia. +800 military bases in other peoples countries - that doesn't seem to stop any wars, but it sure is profitable. Obama promised change, and started 5 new wars, killed more people with drones than Bush. To be fair Bush probably had fewer drones to work with. Good luck voting for the lesser of 2 evils - never seemed to work for me. Felt best when I didn't vote red nor blue and tried the not part of the corporate bought system. We do have the best government money can buy. I just don't have enough money to be part of the buyers club.

Reactions: jerry33
What we don't know is, does it make a difference if it's 10 minutes vs 4 hours vs 8 hours vs 24 hrs. It matters because if the virus needs prolonged contact (ie a high viral load delivered over a long period) then SAH is bad if done after many infected (which most likely was the case in late March). This what the WHO guy is talking about. And I have heard, yes from doctors, that prolonged contact is needed. If that's the case, then shutting down parks is stupid; probably even shutting restaurants is stupid.
Prolonged contact is definitely not needed. Please find some sort of research to back up your claim. Obviously longer contact will make you more likely to be infected but it is super contagious so if someone you live with has it you're going to get it SAH or no.
You've completely ignored the data from New York that shows it was spreading exponentially before SAH and then leveled off after SAH.

Hard to know what to make of this. Really need this virus to stop spreading to see where we're at!

April 15th 6,748 confirmed positive cases (1240 cases per million) and 699 deaths.

Using my standard assumptions:

I’d guess with half of the deaths having taken place for symptomatics starting two weeks ago...and assuming 1% IFR...and all the deaths having been counted:

699*2/0.01 = 140k symptomatic (or asymptomatic - I really mean PCR positive) infections as of April 1st.

Since they were locked down for a week with family, maybe there were 70k such infections around March 23rd.

That would be 12800 per million.

Seems in the ballpark. Not too surprised with a 6k per million result with large potential error bars for a sample taken in mid March.

So far, in spite of every effort to be open to data to the contrary, every result we get is roughly confirming my depressing priors about actual prevalence.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
China Lab In Focus Of Coronavirus Outbreak
...Josh Rogin, who is said to be as plugged into the State Department as any Washington Post columnist, was shown documents dating back to 2015 revealing how the U.S. government was worried about safety standards at that Wuhan lab. In fact, they were worried that one day, one of these experiments — including the one on bat coronaviruses — could escape and become a global nightmare....

Last edited:
Sounds like Elon is bullish on COVID - he always was but went quiet for a while.

He also thinks robotaxis are coming this year! There is a time and place for optimism. Just have to be careful to not get anyone killed.

We really need those quality serological studies! And soon!

Not sure of their credentials - but if they are Swiss...

The site is called “Swiss Propaganda Research,” which seems a bit odd to me!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
He also thinks robotaxis are coming this year! There is a time and place for optimism. Just have to be careful to not get anyone killed.
By the end of month this will all be over. So much drama over nothing here. Surely you all can hold out another two weeks?
Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 11.36.21 PM.png

We really need those quality serological studies! And soon!
Amen!