Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I have family in this camp, we talk. I doubt you have many conversations with the "opposite camp".

Literally, the flip flop pushed people that were more moderate off on vaccines.

Since you appear to not have had enough coffee, let me condense this down for you:

PREVIOUSLY - CDC and NIH recommendations (made through physicians to these people directly) had some sway. That went POOF when the left politicized these institutions. Now physicians can't quote CDC and NIH guidelines because they are politically tainted.
the _Left_ did _not_ politicize the CDC and the NIH, that is on the previous administration.

the _Left_ did _not_ politicize the CDC and the NIH, that is on the previous administration.
I seem to recall Brandon and his fakatka clown troupe administration deflected questions regarding Afghanistan by using CV.

But you and I both know that wasn’t the first time (his excuse for a campaign) and it won’t be the last.

I seem to recall Brandon and his fakatka clown troupe administration deflected questions regarding Afghanistan by using CV.

But you and I both know that wasn’t the first time (his excuse for a campaign) and it won’t be the last.
You're adding nothing of substance to this thread. Please contribute facts, not a sorry excuse for a stand-up routine.

EXCELLENT question. It's not like Trump told people not to go get vaccinated.

My executive assistant's father recently passed from COVID, and he was unvaccinated. I tried to gently ask questions as to why he and his wife refused the vaccine, but the family was pretty tight lipped and it wasn't really a good time to discuss it in detail (raw wound of patriarch of the family passing is not when you bring up things that even have a hint of "I told you so"). The only thing definitively that they said was that they don't believe the government should be allowed to force them into vaccination. They didn't really question the science, or anything like that. They just didn't want to be told they HAD to do it.

So if the government told them "New law: You must breathe air," would they stop breathing? If the Government told them "You are absolutely forbidden from jumping off a thousand-meter cliff to your death," would they jump?

It makes absolutely no sense to refuse to save your own life just because the government told you to save your life!

You are assuming people are just 1’s and 0’s like another poster in this thread.

I know just as many Blue No Matter Who voters who will not get the jab “Because it was rushed” as I know independents, ancaps and conservatives who just do not like being told what to do by The Man.

There are science-deniers on both sides. On the left, the science deniers are new-agers who have never believed in science. They are idiots. But note that this is not leftists as a group. It's new-agers. I understand why they refuse the vaccine: They are idiots who reject science.

But my question was specifically about the Trumpers. And I ask because I don't understand why they reject Trump's advice on this one thing when they believe literally everything else he says. Virtually everything else that comes out of his mouth is a demonstrable lie, and they believe him like he was the second coming of Christ. But the one thing he says that's right, is the one thing they reject. That's what I don't understand, and that why I asked.

There are science-deniers on both sides. On the left, the science deniers are new-agers who have never believed in science. They are idiots. But note that this is not leftists as a group. It's new-agers. I understand why they refuse the vaccine: They are idiots who reject science.

The new age crowd is a broad spectrum of beliefs, but there is a sub-group that believes in magical thinking over science. Back in the early 90s when visiting northern Arizona I ran into some people who were convinced that Southern California was going to fall into the Pacific by 1998. I tried to make the point that the Geology of the region does not allow for that sort of thing to happen (Los Angeles is moving northward with respect to the rest of the continent thanks to the San Andreas fault plate boundary, but large scale subsidence of the land is just not possible). They laughed at me for being such a fool. Obviously what they claimed didn't happen.

I think about that with the QAnon folks today. There are some people who like to feel superior about having some kind of inside knowledge other people don't have about what's going on or what is going to happen. It's at the core of a lot of cults too.

It's also a factor in the Dunning-Kruger Effect. There are people who have a bit of knowledge, mostly gathered from dubious sources, about vaccines, but really don't understand the first thing about the actual science think they know everything there is to know about the subject.

It would be good if this thread could be kept as constructive and informative as possible. Inevitably there will be connections to the political landscape and happenings in the US and elsewhere, but would it be possible to be a bit more considerate in this thread, as it is not moderated? It’s not all that hard.

Apparently a pair of Pfizer shots followed by a J&J booster gives (slightly) better immunity than three shots of Pfizer. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.02.21267198v1.full.pdf

But my question was specifically about the Trumpers. And I ask because I don't understand why they reject Trump's advice on this one thing when they believe literally everything else he says. Virtually everything else that comes out of his mouth is a demonstrable lie, and they believe him like he was the second coming of Christ. But the one thing he says that's right, is the one thing they reject. That's what I don't understand, and that why I asked.
Well, the first thing to realize about Trump isn't that his followers follow him - but actually the other way around. Trump became popular by constantly refining what he said at rallies based on the crowd's reactions - Trump molded himself after what got the biggest cheers and managed to group together quite a few people by doing so.

So it turns out that being pro-vaccine is not popular among his core group of followers - he was actually booed at least once when promoting the COVID vaccine at a rally.

The psychology behind the whole thing is intriguing.

Well, the first thing to realize about Trump isn't that his followers follow him - but actually the other way around. Trump became popular by constantly refining what he said at rallies based on the crowd's reactions - Trump molded himself after what got the biggest cheers and managed to group together quite a few people by doing so.
Yeah, That's kinda what I implied before.

He just wants to be liked, and this made him weak when it came to handling internal affairs.

It would be good if this thread could be kept as constructive and informative as possible. Inevitably there will be connections to the political landscape and happenings in the US and elsewhere, but would it be possible to be a bit more considerate in this thread, as it is not moderated? It’s not all that hard.
The exploitation of CV and it’s use as a cudgel by the powers that be is a topic everyone should be paying attention to.

What a complete mess this thread has become. No wonder it was moved to the basement. This isn't about corona anymore, this is just about politics. That ends now.

From now on anyone talking about politics in this thread (the word Biden, Trump, Democrat or Republican already qualifies) will get a 7 day free vacation on the house. Further offenses will earn longer vacations. If that doesn't help, I will lock this thread and the toxic political bickering can move to the sewer called Twitter.

What a complete mess this thread has become. No wonder it was moved to the basement. This isn't about corona anymore, this is just about politics. That ends now.

From now on anyone talking about politics in this thread (the word Biden, Trump, Democrat or Republican already qualifies) will get a 7 day vacation on the house. Further offenses will earn longer vacations. If that doesn't help, I will lock the thread and the toxic political bickering can go to the sewer called Twitter.
So a couple of people with nothing factual to add, come into the thread to stir up trouble and now we are all being threatened with the demise of this thread because of it. People need to just put the blatant trolls on ignore or at least just stop responding to their idiocy. We have been promised that this thread would not be moderated except in extreme instances of intimidation. As a matter of fact a Moderator just posted that statement yet again yesterday. I agree that the thread needs to stop the current behavior but this is beyond the pale. Politics is sadly intrinsic to COVID because of the mentally unbalanced narcissist who made it that way from the beginning.

As someone who has been in this thread from its onset and who posts here regularly, I ask that regulars please stop responding to the trolls. Continue to post current factual information and stop the arguing. But even with the latest nonsense this thread is still a higher quality/fact based accounting than many of the other forums here because genuine and critically important issues about this pandemic that has killed over 5 million people are discussed and taken seriously.

From now on anyone talking about politics in this thread (the word Biden, Trump, Democrat or Republican already qualifies) will get a 7 day free vacation on the house. Further offenses will earn longer vacations. If that doesn't help, I will lock this thread and the toxic political bickering can move to the sewer called Twitter.
You got it, boss. 🤝

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911 and UrsS