Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The unvaccinated are in so much denial they just end up suffering at home and/or dying. I know people who have been extremely sick for weeks and wouldn't even test themselves for covid let alone seek treatment. If you think covid is "fake news" and not serious, or even real, you probably won't seek treatment. We've had doctors here on the forum tell us how patients denied covid was real on their death beds.
That’s a uniquely American delusion. We don’t have that problem.

I don't think anybody currently reading this particular thread is in the dark regarding masks. Some people they never work, some think only certain mask work and others think any mask is better than none. So since all of these posts about masks have been written and read maybe we could table discussions about masks, especially from anybody who has to write numerous posts in a row without consolidating them.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
Interesting note on the economy, inflation and COVID from Chairman Powell of the federal reserve. Probably not a real surprise to anyone here, but the global economy is suffering from a significant COVID-overhang due to a significant number of people having apparently permanently left the workplace.

Most of the job losses have been in older people - presumably because they were either close to retirement, a booming stock and housing market gave them the security to retire early, or they simply wanted to reduce their risk of getting COVID.

Having watched most of the video, though, I do wonder why 2% is some magic target for inflation...

Full text of speech and link to video is here. If you are interested in economics and COVID, worth a read.

Before COVID a lot of Boomers were working past retirement often because they were bored being idle or they didn't think their retirement went far enough. A lot of those people dropped out of the workforce, even if they don't have long COVID. On top of that 10-20 million Americans are now completely disabled or partially disabled from long COVID. My partner has a milder case of long COVID. She's still trying to do three jobs, but she's left completely wiped out by the end of the day.

A lot of people with long COIVD are younger people who had a mild case of COVID but were never able to completely throw it. My partner saw a study that did autopsies on people with long COVID who had died and low levels of the virus were found in their lung tissue.

Over the last year I've tested for antibodies three times and my partner has tested twice (she's planning on testing again in January just before seeing her doctor again). I tested positive each time, with increased antibodies each time, though I haven't been sick since I had a mild case of Omicron a year ago. My body sloughed off the exposure with no symptoms. My partner was sick for a few hours about six weeks ago which is why I got tested about 3 weeks after she was sick. She is adamant is wasn't COVID, but I did test at my highest level yet for antibodies.

But my antibody levels have been in the 100-350 range, hers were well over 1000 on both tests. At least with the two data points we have, her antibody levels are very high. A month after we know we were both sick her ab levels were around 2500 while mine were around 125.

She does have an odd immune system. She rarely gets sick. She can't remember ever having he flu, and her usual pattern with a cold is she feels like she's coming down with something and just goes to bed early and it's gone in the morning. If she doesn't take the time to get a little extra sleep, the cold nails her and she gets very sick. It almost always goes to bronchitis within a day or two and a few times it has turned into pneumonia. The last time she had pneumonia she was told the next time could kill her.

She was not very ill the 2 or 3 times she's had COVID. She had only a very low fever (maybe a degree) and felt off for a few days and the last time only about 6 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Before COVID a lot of Boomers were working past retirement often because they were bored being idle or they didn't think their retirement went far enough. A lot of those people dropped out of the workforce, even if they don't have long COVID. On top of that 10-20 million Americans are now completely disabled or partially disabled from long COVID. My partner has a milder case of long COVID. She's still trying to do three jobs, but she's left completely wiped out by the end of the day.

A lot of people with long COIVD are younger people who had a mild case of COVID but were never able to completely throw it. My partner saw a study that did autopsies on people with long COVID who had died and low levels of the virus were found in their lung tissue.

Over the last year I've tested for antibodies three times and my partner has tested twice (she's planning on testing again in January just before seeing her doctor again). I tested positive each time, with increased antibodies each time, though I haven't been sick since I had a mild case of Omicron a year ago. My body sloughed off the exposure with no symptoms. My partner was sick for a few hours about six weeks ago which is why I got tested about 3 weeks after she was sick. She is adamant is wasn't COVID, but I did test at my highest level yet for antibodies.

But my antibody levels have been in the 100-350 range, hers were well over 1000 on both tests. At least with the two data points we have, her antibody levels are very high. A month after we know we were both sick her ab levels were around 2500 while mine were around 125.

She does have an odd immune system. She rarely gets sick. She can't remember ever having he flu, and her usual pattern with a cold is she feels like she's coming down with something and just goes to bed early and it's gone in the morning. If she doesn't take the time to get a little extra sleep, the cold nails her and she gets very sick. It almost always goes to bronchitis within a day or two and a few times it has turned into pneumonia. The last time she had pneumonia she was told the next time could kill her.

She was not very ill the 2 or 3 times she's had COVID. She had only a very low fever (maybe a degree) and felt off for a few days and the last time only about 6 hours.
This is the sort of sh1tshow you get when they refuse to treat.

The New York Times are down for a joke too:
What I would like an explanation for is studies that show health care workers testing positive for antibodies at the same rate as the general population.
For example New York health care workers who worked in COVID positive units had about the same seroprevalence as the general population (16% vs. 14%).

What I would like an explanation for is studies that show health care workers testing positive for antibodies at the same rate as the general population.
For example New York health care workers who worked in COVID positive units had about the same seroprevalence as the general population (16% vs. 14%).
That's nothing;

Carrat F, Figoni J, Henny J, et al. Evidence of early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 in France: findings from the population-based “CONSTANCES” cohort. Eur J Epidemiol. 2021;36(2):219–222.

La Rosa G, Mancini P, Bonanno Ferraro G, et al. SARS-CoV-2 has been circulating in northern Italy since December 2019: evidence from environmental monitoring. Sci Total Environ. 2021;750:141711. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141711

Althoff KN, Schlueter DJ, Anton-Culver H, et al. Antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in all of US research program participants, January 2-March 18, 2020. Clin Infect Dis. 2021. doi:10.1093/cid/ciab519.

Shows that we didn't have a pandemic until we started doing stupid sh1t, like withdrawing treatment.

This is the sort of sh1tshow you get when they refuse to treat.

Not sure what you mean here

That's nothing;

Carrat F, Figoni J, Henny J, et al. Evidence of early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 in France: findings from the population-based “CONSTANCES” cohort. Eur J Epidemiol. 2021;36(2):219–222.

La Rosa G, Mancini P, Bonanno Ferraro G, et al. SARS-CoV-2 has been circulating in northern Italy since December 2019: evidence from environmental monitoring. Sci Total Environ. 2021;750:141711. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141711

Althoff KN, Schlueter DJ, Anton-Culver H, et al. Antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in all of US research program participants, January 2-March 18, 2020. Clin Infect Dis. 2021. doi:10.1093/cid/ciab519.

Shows that we didn't have a pandemic until we started doing stupid sh1t, like withdrawing treatment.

Infectious diseases also take time to spread. The growth rate early in the spread is going to be very slow and will likely fly under the radar for some time.

Reactions: JRP3
Not sure what you mean here

Infectious diseases also take time to spread. The growth rate early in the spread is going to be very slow and will likely fly under the radar for some time.
"On top of that 10-20 million Americans are now completely disabled or partially disabled from long COVID"
That's a sh1tshow. If they treated, it wouldn't be a thing.

Five months, over winter, across continents was sufficient time. No excess death until we declared a pandemic and implemented protocols.

If they treated, it wouldn't be a thing.
Treated with what exactly? Suggested with no clarity from someone who will not even deal with the reality of their inaccurate assertions. If you think those questions have been answered or the mask question put to rest you are very much mistaken. That's not even close to how medical knowledge and evidence proceed to solve problems. COVID has indeed been a sh*tshow, that's what happens when you have politicians, the media, and the untrained public manipulating the process. That has never before happened as such in the history of modern medicine.

I trained during the HIV epidemic, at one of the hospitals with the highest concentration of that pathology in the US at the time. It took years to understand and get control of that pathology. That one was also a sh*tshow and while there was political denial the process was not perverted to any real degree, in real-time, by public, political, and media manipulation of perceived reality. With covid, everyone and his brother's monkey know everything about it, without knowing anything at all........shared opinions propagated by social media. I have done my research translates to I watched someone's shitty youtube video. And then there are those who share random literature grabs without perspective or analysis.

So I ask again, deal with the reality of your assertions, open your mind, and at least attempt to understand the input of those familiar and experienced with the process. Truth can never be obtained without brutal objectivity. Opinions and theories are good, but only have value if objectively incorporated, tried on for size, within ongoing reality.......denial of any of that reality is a failure.......defining even trickier.......

Last edited:
"On top of that 10-20 million Americans are now completely disabled or partially disabled from long COVID"
That's a sh1tshow. If they treated, it wouldn't be a thing.

Five months, over winter, across continents was sufficient time. No excess death until we declared a pandemic and implemented protocols.

The vast majority of people with long COVID had mild cases. They didn't go to a hospital because they didn't get very ill.

Medical science right now is just beginning to come to terms with the phenomenon and figure out what's happening. My partner is not a doctor, but has a lot of medical knowledge. She reads the scientific papers on long COVID and her understanding is up there with many doctors with long COVID patients. Her doctor has been trying some new treatments that have had some effect, but it's only resulted in about a 20% improvement.

It would help if there was an international scientific effort with governments backing research into long COVID like we had for the vaccines and other treatments of active COVID, but medical science is making progress on understanding the phenomenon. Unfortunately it may end up being that little can be done for people with long COVID. Some infectious diseases can cause permanent damage and that's just something we need to accept as a society.

Long COVID could not be prevented. Governments could have done a better job in dealing with the pandemic. In the US it became a political issue thanks to the actions of some prominent politicians and that caused a lot of problems. Greed got in the way and some people made lots of money as governments pumped money into the economy trying to preserve things as the economies of the world shut down.

The response was far from perfect, but even if the world had all fallen into line and done the best possible thing, COVID still would have spread around the world and killed a lot of people. We had no treatments and no preventive measures for some time into the pandemic, and medical science was moving at record pace there. Some parts of the economy needed to keep going just to keep the population alive. All of us had to buy food and other essentials and the people who had to do those jobs were constantly at risk.

When I saw that COVID had an incubation period of up to 2 weeks, there were a segment of the population who had no symptoms but were contagious, and it had a relatively high R0, my first thought was "we're all going to get this". That was in January 2020.

The vast majority of people with long COVID had mild cases. They didn't go to a hospital because they didn't get very ill.

Medical science right now is just beginning to come to terms with the phenomenon and figure out what's happening. My partner is not a doctor, but has a lot of medical knowledge. She reads the scientific papers on long COVID and her understanding is up there with many doctors with long COVID patients. Her doctor has been trying some new treatments that have had some effect, but it's only resulted in about a 20% improvement.

It would help if there was an international scientific effort with governments backing research into long COVID like we had for the vaccines and other treatments of active COVID, but medical science is making progress on understanding the phenomenon. Unfortunately it may end up being that little can be done for people with long COVID. Some infectious diseases can cause permanent damage and that's just something we need to accept as a society.

Long COVID could not be prevented. Governments could have done a better job in dealing with the pandemic. In the US it became a political issue thanks to the actions of some prominent politicians and that caused a lot of problems. Greed got in the way and some people made lots of money as governments pumped money into the economy trying to preserve things as the economies of the world shut down.

The response was far from perfect, but even if the world had all fallen into line and done the best possible thing, COVID still would have spread around the world and killed a lot of people. We had no treatments and no preventive measures for some time into the pandemic, and medical science was moving at record pace there. Some parts of the economy needed to keep going just to keep the population alive. All of us had to buy food and other essentials and the people who had to do those jobs were constantly at risk.

When I saw that COVID had an incubation period of up to 2 weeks, there were a segment of the population who had no symptoms but were contagious, and it had a relatively high R0, my first thought was "we're all going to get this". That was in January 2020.
Did she like this study:

"An observational paradox in our study was that the participants who took two doses of COVID-19 vaccination had higher odds of developing Long COVID.”

So there's only two possible conclusions from that:
1) Either the vaccines damage immune systems, or
2) Cumulative exposure is bad

But nobody acknowledges the implications and we boost away.

It's like there's a bunch of morons in charge.

Why’s it a paradox?

What’s the mechanism?

Double is a large effect.

You are gonna love Elon’s Covid files.
Did you read the next sentence in the article's discussion? I noticed you chose not to quote it. Why? It feels disingenuous.

They proposed a mechanism.

An observational paradox in our study was that the participants who took two doses of COVID-19 vaccination had higher odds of developing Long COVID. It could be due to better survival in vaccinated individuals who may continue to exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 disease. But we could not find any literature on this association, and based on this study, we cannot imply causation.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and JRP3
You know I’ve pointed you at 27 studies. Right?

Why are they not valid?
I have been out hunting dinosaurs (shot at one, but she turned her back and it just bounced off of her armor) and have just been catching up.

Had hoped you would actually have linked these purported 27 studies in the meantime, but you clearly haven't.

A few days ago, I made a good faith effort to find them, but all I came up with is an article that indicated the CDC's published science is opposite of what you obviously firmly believe, and you didn't like it.

I would still like to read them. Would you kindly help out and link and post them for me? My search engine isn't helping me, and I am sure we would all be receptive to reviewing them should they actually exist.

Reactions: PACEMD and madodel
Did you read the next sentence in the article's discussion? I noticed you chose not to quote it. Why? It feels disingenuous.

They proposed a mechanism.
You expect me to believe that magnitude deficit is due to survivors bias from a product that fades to negative effectiveness relatively quickly?

What percentage of unvaccinated would have to die to make that happen?

I’m gonna need numbers here.

Last edited:
I have been out hunting dinosaurs (shot at one, but she turned her back and it just bounced off of her armor) and have just been catching up.

Had hoped you would actually have linked these purported 27 studies in the meantime, but you clearly haven't.

A few days ago, I made a good faith effort to find them, but all I came up with is an article that indicated the CDC's published science is opposite of what you obviously firmly believe, and you didn't like it.

I would still like to read them. Would you kindly help out and link and post them for me? My search engine isn't helping me, and I am sure we would all be receptive to reviewing them should they actually exist.
There was 17 studies in the WHO link and ten in the cdc links I posted earlier.

You expect me to believe that magnitude deficit is due to survivors bias from a product that fades to negative effectiveness relatively quickly?

Are you a dr of gender studies?
I expect you to read the article you posted, and now you are off on "Dr. of Gender Studies" which has naught to do with the discussion at hand. Please try staying on task.

Treated with what exactly? Suggested with no clarity from someone who will not even deal with the reality of their inaccurate assertions. If you think those questions have been answered or the mask question put to rest you are very much mistaken. That's not even close to how medical knowledge and evidence proceed to solve problems. COVID has indeed been a sh*tshow, that's what happens when you have politicians, the media, and the untrained public manipulating the process. That has never before happened as such in the history of modern medicine.

I trained during the HIV epidemic, at one of the hospitals with the highest concentration of that pathology in the US at the time. It took years to understand and get control of that pathology. That one was also a sh*tshow and while there was political denial the process was not perverted to any real degree, in real-time, by public, political, and media manipulation of perceived reality. With covid, everyone and his brother's monkey know everything about it, without knowing anything at all........shared opinions propagated by social media. I have done my research translates to I watched someone's shitty youtube video. And then there are those who share random literature grabs without perspective or analysis.

So I ask again, deal with the reality of your assertions, open your mind, and at least attempt to understand the input of those familiar and experienced with the process. Truth can never be obtained without brutal objectivity. Opinions and theories are good, but only have value if objectively incorporated, tried on for size, within ongoing reality.......denial of any of that reality is a failure.......defining even trickier.......
My wife and I were critical care nurses in the early 80's and dealt with AIDs patients before it was even called AIDs or anyone knew what HIV was or how it spread. Too bad they didn't try Ivermectin or light therapy or maybe tincture of Iodine back then to cure all the young men who showed up in our hospitals back then who then left in shrouds a few days or weeks later. Hopefully all the stable geniuses and rocket surgeons are in positions to help everyone when the next pandemic comes. They can write the protocols on how to handle diseases that no one has any clue how they spread, how they kill and what the long term effects of the disease or the actual treatments. Maybe I should unignore the geniuses so I can learn the true way to deal with a huge public health emergency the right way from the very beginning.