Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty amazing that some cities in China are reporting 1.5% to 5% of people infected *per day*. I don’t remember anything like that in the US.

This thing is really ripping. Likely not an R0 of 10 though! Obviously depends on serial interval too…

It’s too bad we don’t have good data from China otherwise we could really figure out how contagious it is, inherently.

My guess is R0 of about 5-7. Doesn’t really matter though.

It’s no measles that is for sure.
Must be a bad batch of masks.

California seroprevalence survey results released (I took part in this in April, no antibodies from infection).
Still 52% uninfected after first Omicron wave. Congrats to the 2% who did it without performance enhancing drugs!
1672098241583.jpeg

California seroprevalence survey results released (I took part in this in April, no antibodies from infection).
Still 52% uninfected after first Omicron wave. Congrats to the 2% who did it without performance enhancing drugs!
View attachment 889060

Did they ask participants whether they had had COVID too, to see what the self-reported asymptomatic rate might have been?

Did they ask participants whether they had had COVID too, to see what the self-reported asymptomatic rate might have been?
They asked but they didn't publish anything about it in the 2nd wave study (includes questionnaire, 3rd wave paper isn't out yet).
The study had a huge selection bias in who responded. The unweighted nucleocapsid seroprevalence after the second wave (winter 2021) was only 11% but they estimated actual seroprevalence at 22%.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
They asked but they didn't publish anything about it in the 2nd wave study (includes questionnaire, 3rd wave paper isn't out yet).
The study had a huge selection bias in who responded. The unweighted nucleocapsid seroprevalence after the second wave (winter 2021) was only 11% but they estimated actual seroprevalence at 22%.
Does this take into account that 60% of vaccinated infected dont develop a proper immune response and thus dont generate N-Abs?

Vaccine must be super awesome to still give a positive effect with all the negatives that come with it.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Does this take into account that 60% of vaccinated infected dont develop a proper immune response and thus dont generate N-Abs?
Interesting. I don't think so but they haven't published the 3rd wave paper yet. Wouldn't really effect the 2nd wave since not many people got COVID post vaccination until the Omicron wave. Anecdotally I didn't know a single vaccinated person who got COVID until January 2022.
Vaccine must be super awesome to still give a positive effect with all the negatives that come with it.
Unlike Australia we have a very large sample of unvaccinated people and found that it is in fact relatively awesome.

Not if you wake up and smell reality. And anyway, Freddy, your chainsaw will run out of gas way before that......
The vaccine fills hospitals on administration.

We have papers that say the vaccine encouraged infection in a dose response manner. And plenty of population data that says the same

It destroys the proper immune response such that 60% dont develop N-Abs, encouraging reinfection.

It encourages hospitalisation in a dose response manner

It destroys your immune response and generates antibodies to tolerate the virus in a dose response manner.

We have excess death everywhere we've vaccinated two years after we killed everyone's grandma.

And you reckon Darwin is on your side?

Interesting. I don't think so but they haven't published the 3rd wave paper yet. Wouldn't really effect the 2nd wave since not many people got COVID post vaccination until the Omicron wave. Anecdotally I didn't know a single vaccinated person who got COVID until January 2022.

Unlike Australia we have a very large sample of unvaccinated people and found that it is in fact relatively awesome.
If you take the 31% as the 40% who developed N-Abs, then 46.5% then didn't, that means that there's only 3.5% vaccinated and uninfected.

With 80% vaccinated, and 2% seronegative, that should be 8%. Ergo, negative vaccine effectiveness.

How good is math?

If you take the 31% as the 40% who developed N-Abs, then 46.5% then didn't, that means that there's only 3.5% vaccinated and uninfected.

With 80% vaccinated, and 2% seronegative, that should be 8%. Ergo, negative vaccine effectiveness.

How good is math?
Many people in the US got vaccinated after being infected (with two shots, unlike other countries which only recommended one for people with prior infection).
The survey did ask if you were previously PCR positive for COVID so they have some data on that. The paper references another paper that showed 68% anti-N with the Pfizer vaccine (much more common here) though with a more sensitive assay. And of course we have no idea whether immune evasiveness of Omicron makes it more likely to cause vaccinated people to generate anti-N Ab...

P.S. It is funny that the data for the paper you posted shows the vaccine to be extremely effective at preventing infection (pre-Omicron of course).

Reactions: madodel and juk
Many people in the US got vaccinated after being infected (with two shots, unlike other countries which only recommended one for people with prior infection).
The survey did ask if you were previously PCR positive for COVID so they have some data on that. The paper references another paper that showed 68% anti-N with the Pfizer vaccine (much more common here) though with a more sensitive assay. And of course we have no idea whether immune evasiveness of Omicron makes it more likely to cause vaccinated people to generate anti-N Ab...

P.S. It is funny that the data for the paper you posted shows the vaccine to be extremely effective at preventing infection (pre-Omicron of course).
And ironic that I used it to show that it wasn't.

If only all the data was open we wouldn't have anything to argue about.

The really cool use of that study is to show that the original pfizzer study was pfraud.

Did you? How many people in the vaccine group and the placebo group got COVID? How many were symptomatic?
here:

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD