Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Correct iPhone settings for bluetooth unlock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walk-up and unlock doesn't ever work when my phone is locked and in my pocket. I always have to physically remove my phone from my pocket and then either hold it horizontally or unlock the phone itself before pulling on door handle actually unlocks the car. My guess is that the gyroscope moving then allows the phone/car bluetooth connection to engage.

Has anyone else had this problem?

It has been this way for me with my 2018 dual motor LR Model 3 since the beginning when using my iPhone X. It's now doing the same thing with the iPhone 12 Pro I got this week. Any suggestions?

I have location services set to "Always" for the Tesla app. And the Background app refresh is "On - Wifi & Cellular."

Make sure that you have the Tesla app "allowed" in the Background App Refresh setting for the phone. The Tesla app also has to be open, at least in the background for Walk-Up-Unlock to work.

I too have had issues where the car won't unlock while I'm standing next to it after going to the store or something. As you said, you have to unlock the phone, open the app and boom it works but ugh. Try rebooting your phone, sometimes that clears thing out. Make sure the Tesla app is updated too.

It's annoying but the occurrence is rare (for me once every couple of months). It's really another reason to make sure you have a key card in your wallet/purse.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Make sure that you have the Tesla app "allowed" in the Background App Refresh setting for the phone. The Tesla app also has to be open, at least in the background for Walk-Up-Unlock to work.

I too have had issues where the car won't unlock while I'm standing next to it after going to the store or something. As you said, you have to unlock the phone, open the app and boom it works but ugh. Try rebooting your phone, sometimes that clears thing out. Make sure the Tesla app is updated too.

It's annoying but the occurrence is rare (for me once every couple of months). It's really another reason to make sure you have a key card in your wallet/purse.

The app is always open in the background. And the Tesla app is allowed for background refresh.
I've also tried uninstalling the app, forgetting my phone as a key, and rebooting the car. Then redownloading and signing back into everything. Still no luck, unless my phone has been removed from my pocket and is "awake" (just raising horizontally is usually enough to wake it and allow for the unlock to then work).

Never had an issue in 2 years with X (12 months) or SE2 (6 months) with iOS 13 and 14. Is the phone in your rear pocket? 2.4Ghz does not go well through water (your body) so try it in your front pocket and see if that helps.

Same issue when in front pocket...

Last try here...is the key "connected" in bluetooth settings page? There should be two devices for your Tesla. One is the media and is whatever you named your car. The second will be a bunch of numbers and is the key.
Other than that you are on your own as I haven't seen it elsewhere with Apple and I know quite a few with the same setup. It might be worth re-installing the application and re-setting it up as a phone key with your key card. Good luck.

Weird.

iPhone 11 Pro, Background App Refresh (BAR) is completely turned off (not just for the Tesla app), Tesla app open but in the background...no issues. Once in a blue moon the car will be slow to respond, but it still unlocks in a few seconds; phone in my pocket with the screen off. Since I have BAR completely off, I figured the car unlocked when a Bluetooth connection was established with the phone.

I don’t think Low Power Mode has a major effect on Bluetooth, but is low power mode on?