Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrupted USB in 2019.5.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got the 2019.5.4 update a couple days ago, and it seems to have corrupted my USB (dash cam image with a gray x). I never had a corrupted USB previously on any other updates. I have tried formatting the USB multiple times and non of them seems to have worked.

Has anyone have had the same problem and have a solution? Or am I SOL and have to get a new usb?

I had the same issue after installing 2019.5.4 on my USB drive.

Since Sentry mode will also be recording from the side marker repeater cameras and save to the drive, I think a reformat of the drive is needed to have the appropriate formatted drive to save the new files.

I reformatted my USB drive and now have the red recording icon after enabling Sentry mode.

Time to erase and fully reformat, and try again. Could be a low price USB drive.

FWIW when the original TeslaCam was announced, I expected that there would be a need for more and more storage of video data. So I just sprung for this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and formatted it on my computer (yes you can format this properly). It has been working flawlessly in my P3D+ for about 4 months (after the initial firmware correction for the file corruption).

I also had a USB issue last week on 2018.50.6. Teslacam still worked and recorded properly but my music was no longer detected even though all the files are still accessible on my computer. Reformatted the drive (both partitions) and all works fine again.

If the USB works on your PC. IE you can format fat32, save stuff to it and run from the USB, then it's probably the car. Have you tried a different USB port in your car? IE the left one instead of the right one?

Yes I can format and move things to the USB. So it's not a USB issue and definitely a problem with the 5.4 update. I'm waiting to see if there is a person without this problem and see what specs their USB has.

You put the TeslaCam folder back after you format it right?

Have you tried rebooting your MCU?
Of course I put the folder back in! You know what I haven't rebooted my MCU yet. I'll check later on this evening to see if that does the trick. If not I thought of one more solution to try. (format my USB as a ntfs then format it again back to fat32)

I've been encountering the same issue on a drive that I reformatted after getting the latest update. This drive has been working for months on a previous software version. The current problem is similar to what happened after the dashcam feature was first released. The drive would work for a few days, then randomly stop working. It's a software problem that Tesla needs to fix, not user error.

I just received the update this afternoon. No issues with the dashcam USB. I tested the Sentry Mode by bumping on the window. The driver’s side camera on fender (new left repeater) captured me walking up to the car and bumping the window. No problem with the USB.

The new update adds Recent and Saved folders under the TeslaCam folder. It also adds the Left Repeater and Right Repeater camera files to the existing Front camera file.

We don't have 2019 FW yet, but this did the trick back when Tesla cam was initially introduced and corrupted everyone's USB drives:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HMW1KB/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use this in the Model 3 and never had a problem. Apparently it is designed to last just long enough without power to gracefully shutdown without corrupting anything.

If it's not just a power-off problem we may just have to wait for another update.

I had a similar issue after update as well with a 128GB drive. Nothing but grey x after formatting quick and full with guiformat. I decided to try partitioning following instructions here but ran into issues there too where I had trouble just deleting the volume. I ended up having to use diskpart with the clean command.

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK #
CLEAN

I then created a 32GB partition. It then started working... I'm not sure what really fixed it - the cleaning or partitioning it...