Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of battery replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anom stated he was being charged 22 thousand. How much of that was battery and how much was the replacement shield? 2 grand seems a lot for labor
Hey everyone!

Having an unfortunate week.

New to the forums, but I have a similar story to some folks. I must have run over a rock or something without realizing, but I got a "Vehicle may not restart" message the other day. Sure enough, the vehicle didn't restart and Tesla Roadside helped me tow it to a shop.

After a few days of diagnostics, the shop sends me pictures of a crack in the underside of my battery pack. They say the damage caused a coolant leak which nuked the battery, and quotes me $22k ($20k parts + ~$2k labor), which isn't covered under warranty.

Here's the kicker: I recently switched to Tesla Insurance, and as I am the world's most braindead human, I didn't elect collision coverage, which road debris is under. I know, I know, flame me now.

I know there are a lot of awesome helpful folks here, so I'm wondering: do I have options or am I *sugar* out of luck?

Feel free to DM me as well, happy to share pictures or kickback some money for anyone who helps me save some of the 22 grand. Thanks!

Anom stated he was being charged 22 thousand. How much of that was battery and how much was the replacement shield? 2 grand seems a lot for labor
Hey everyone!

Having an unfortunate week.

New to the forums, but I have a similar story to some folks. I must have run over a rock or something without realizing, but I got a "Vehicle may not restart" message the other day. Sure enough, the vehicle didn't restart and Tesla Roadside helped me tow it to a shop.

After a few days of diagnostics, the shop sends me pictures of a crack in the underside of my battery pack. They say the damage caused a coolant leak which nuked the battery, and quotes me $22k ($20k parts + ~$2k labor), which isn't covered under warranty.

Here's the kicker: I recently switched to Tesla Insurance, and as I am the world's most braindead human, I didn't elect collision coverage, which road debris is under. I know, I know, flame me now.

I know there are a lot of awesome helpful folks here, so I'm wondering: do I have options or am I *sugar* out of luck?

Feel free to DM me as well, happy to share pictures or kickback some money for anyone who helps me save some of the 22 grand. Thanks!

you drove an expensive luxury car without insurance... So you saved some money, but now you got unlucky and gotta pay yourself.

Tesla wanted $16,000 to fix this NEW Model 3, we did it for $700!​

The importance of Right to REPAIR! Battery problems and insurance lessons.​

Glad to see OP was able to sort it out. Also glad Rich was able to fix it, and through his channel, spread the word about Tesla’s anti-consumer stance when it comes to repairing their vehicles.

They say the damage caused a coolant leak which nuked the battery
This concerns me, shouldn't the car detect high battery temps and something wrong with the coolant loop and tell you to pull over to prevent damage to the cells? Hitting something on the road and damaging the battery is my biggest fear, have had it since my leaf days, through my model 3 days and now with my model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: WarEagleGo
Tesla is going to have to work on the service issue if they want to gain greater scale over the long-term. If it's been deemed more cost effective to have the battery repair work done at a specialized battery repair center, then just have the local Service Center drop and ship the battery to a regional facility where it's repaired, and ship it back for reinstallation into the customer's car. Alternatively, ship the entire car and have the work done there. This has to be much cheaper for the customer than paying 16-22k for a replacement battery.
If you have a diesel pickup, you could make extra money as a transporter, looping between the local Service Centers and the battery repair facility.
This is an issue which gives potential buyers like me pause. It's also worth noting that Chevy can do this work at the dealership level, however their economy of scale is likely different.

Reactions: Frozen and ayavner
Glad to see OP was able to sort it out. Also glad Rich was able to fix it, and through his channel, spread the word about Tesla’s anti-consumer stance when it comes to repairing their vehicles.
I'd still like to see whether this vehicle is still going strong 6/12 months later. Have they really got every faulty cell?

Mind you what is really like to see is Tesla stand behind it's recycling promise.

Either
A. Let the customer keep their own battery - and sell/ strip it to be used as battery, or
B. Send it for disassembly and testing, with the customer paid $x per good module / cell

The current procedure of making you pay fully for a new battery but getting nothing for the old is poor.

I'd still like to see whether this vehicle is still going strong 6/12 months later. Have they really got every faulty cell?

Mind you what is really like to see is Tesla stand behind it's recycling promise.

Either
A. Let the customer keep their own battery - and sell/ strip it to be used as battery, or
B. Send it for disassembly and testing, with the customer paid $x per good module / cell

The current procedure of making you pay fully for a new battery but getting nothing for the old is poor.
You do realize that the battery pack weighs about 1000 lbs? Kind of hard for the average consumer to move around, not to mention dangerous to disassemble.

Perhaps the cost of the battery has whatever recycle value built in. I doubt many are sold without being a replacement.

I doubt Tesla will let that happen, like how they won't let HW3 FSD cars upgrade to HW4. It makes sense they want us to buy a new car but it's bad for us.
If Tesla can make money selling replacement batteries, presumably they will be motivated to do so. Typically the margins on after sales service are higher than the original sale, so it could be that Tesla will want to get into battery replacement. And if Tesla does not do it I expect a robust third-party replacement service to develop - although you would want to research the quality of the provider before going through with it.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZconTest and Resist
If Tesla can make money selling replacement batteries, presumably they will be motivated to do so. Typically the margins on after sales service are higher than the original sale, so it could be that Tesla will want to get into battery replacement. And if Tesla does not do it I expect a robust third-party replacement service to develop - although you would want to research the quality of the provider before going through with it.

How many people do you know now with a 2013 model year car would be willing to put $10,000 to $15,000 in it to extend its life? Basically no one. They'd put that money into a new car. I know people with 10-15 year old cars, and some of them are hesitant to spend even $500 for repairs, nevermind $10,000.

Battery replacement from a business perspective is economically not feasible unless it costs the consumer less than a thousand dolllars

How many people do you know now with a 2013 model year car would be willing to put $10,000 to $15,000 in it to extend its life? Basically no one. They'd put that money into a new car. I know people with 10-15 year old cars, and some of them are hesitant to spend even $500 for repairs, nevermind $10,000.

Battery replacement from a business perspective is economically not feasible unless it costs the consumer less than a thousand dolllars

I think we’re currently discussing battery replacement for Model 3 cars. The oldest such units are only 7 years old.

I think we’re currently discussing battery replacement for Model 3 cars. The oldest such units are only 7 years old.
I don't know. Several models have been discussed here.

Here's a Model 3 that's past HV battery warranty due to mileage: Failed Model 3 HV Battery - Out of Warranty - DIY.

The below are other examples for the 3 posted here. There are more.
Battery cracked [Tesla claims from pothole damage] has a claim of Tesla wanting over $17K due to supposed damage to the pack. Battery cracked [Tesla claims from pothole damage] has a screenshot. There are some pics further in the thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
Right. Model 3 was built for FSD robotaxi.

Screenshot_20230730_205535_Chrome.jpg