Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SDGE really is a rip, I thought SCE was bad. Looks like I would go with their EV-TOU. House remains on tiered rate (so no changes in bill there), EV charges for $0.22 per kW (meter install payback time should be quick).
Makes you want to consider going off the grid. Buy some Tesla Power packs and be your own power supplier.

Reactions: ölbrenner
Seriously.

Why be screwed by a Public Utility, which only wants to build more fossil fuel-based power plants, when you could do it all yourself?--

By harvesting free energy from fusion (the sun) with your solar panels (federal tax credit) and store the overproduction in your Tesla Power Packs?

Get on board with this before the utilities catch on.

Last edited:
Why be screwed by a Public Utility, which only wants to build more fossil fuel-based power plants.
I'm not sure what the situation is with SDGE, but SCE is my provider, and is actually moving away from fossil fuel based sourcing (currently they are generating the same amount of power from renewables/hydro (26%) as they do from natural gas (27%), and thankfully only 8% from coal).

To add to that, they recently added the Green Rate program, allowing customers to purchase their electricity from 100% California sourced solar. Giving options for even us condo owners to go solar (and that I immediately signed up for, even if it cost me an extra $0.038 per kW).

Not defending the power companies, just pointing out that the entire grid IS getting cleaner due to economics. Thankfully so.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I feel for people in my home city and county of San Diego. Perhaps people should try to get a Community Choice Aggregator or a CCA for electric service, or a city/county owned utility. We have a place in Placer County, CA which is starting a CCA, and we have a home in Redding which has a city-owned utility. In Redding our rate is $0.15/kWh, no time of use or tiered rates.

Info on the Placer County CCA:
New Electric Provider Giving Discount To Placer County Customers

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
it seems like in the states where they charge per minute there should be more than just tier 1 and tier2. You could be charging at 59kW and be at tier 1 or you could be charging at 60kW and pay 2x what you were at only 1kW difference. not a big deal obviously but more granularity would be nice.

They could also do 120 tiers, which would be really fair, but in reality, it would in essence be that you pay per kWh. The more granular they break their fees up, the closer they are to charging you per kWh and running afoul with the state laws that prohibit that.

I think the logic behind only allowing the utility companies to charge by the kWh is consumer protection. The utility uses “utility grade” meters that read within a certain percentage of reality. It’s easy to make sure all meters that the utility uses are up to snuff. If an non-utility entity resells a portion of their power, how do you know how accurate those readings are that are driving what the 2nd person is paying for their power. Take for example, an OpenEVSE, which assumes the line voltage is exactly 120 or 240 volts. If I charged someone based of the kWh that the unit read, the person would’ve overpaying because the voltage sags slightly below 240 volts under heavy load.

The 2 tiers are easy to understand, work good enough at keeping you from overpaying during the taper, and keep Tesla well away from any state regulations that ban per-kWh charges, so I doubt they will ever add more tiers.

It will be about $.55 kWh for me at home, not sure what superchargers cost but it might be worth hitting them up. Current car gets 34mpg combine. How much more will it be to operate my Tesla than my ICE? Gas is currently about $3.20 a gallon.
Wow! That's really expensive ! I just changed my plan to "Time of use" and it's .13 but rate is only good from 10 pm -7 am

They could also do 120 tiers, which would be really fair, but in reality, it would in essence be that you pay per kWh. The more granular they break their fees up, the closer they are to charging you per kWh and running afoul with the state laws that prohibit that.

I think the logic behind only allowing the utility companies to charge by the kWh is consumer protection. The utility uses “utility grade” meters that read within a certain percentage of reality. It’s easy to make sure all meters that the utility uses are up to snuff. If an non-utility entity resells a portion of their power, how do you know how accurate those readings are that are driving what the 2nd person is paying for their power. Take for example, an OpenEVSE, which assumes the line voltage is exactly 120 or 240 volts. If I charged someone based of the kWh that the unit read, the person would’ve overpaying because the voltage sags slightly below 240 volts under heavy load.

The 2 tiers are easy to understand, work good enough at keeping you from overpaying during the taper, and keep Tesla well away from any state regulations that ban per-kWh charges, so I doubt they will ever add more tiers.
We actually have 3 tiers; Expensive, Very Expensive, and Bend Over.

Since Model 3 owners will not get free supercharging, are there some resources available for us to see if this is really going to economical?
I want to go back to the original topic here - why does "No free supercharging" decide if this makes your 3 affordable or not. Tesla has been clear about it - even with S and X that SC'ing not meant to be your only source of charging. It is meant as much for or as much travelers, charging when not at home.

If many buy thinking this is their only way of charging and use the SC's daily/weekly the prices of the charging at the chargers will go through the roof to discourage it.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
I want to go back to the original topic here - why does "No free supercharging" decide if this makes your 3 affordable or not. Tesla has been clear about it - even with S and X that SC'ing not meant to be your only source of charging. It is meant as much for or as much travelers, charging when not at home.

If many buy thinking this is their only way of charging and use the SC's daily/weekly the prices of the charging at the chargers will go through the roof to discourage it.
First price increase inbound....
Tesla increases cost of using its Supercharger stations, still says it ‘will never be a profit center’

Reactions: GDNTX
That seems like a steep jump, but considering the original charges for paid SC'ing, they were just barely covering their electricity charges. Others have said on FB posts, etc, these new charges probably barely cover the electricity, upkeep, insurance, land lease, etc. I hope they find a happy medium, but considering the number of stations they have and the number of stations they will have to build, it won't be cheap and it comes at a cost.

The M3 is the first car for the masses, and the infrastructure and costs will finally settle in after a couple of years. We will see more destination chargers, etc. and some businesses will provide for free based on trying to draw clientele, but for the most part charging shouldn't be free, nor was ever really meant to be free in anyone's long term plans. They had to get SC's built out and show it could be done with heavy investment, now it's time to recoup some money and invest for more stations. I know many have said that Tesla said these would never be a profit center, but I bet if you look at the finances of just SC's they are way in the hole to date for what is in place.

An EV isn't meant for everyone. I have no stats or proof, but would love to know the percentage of people that have bought a Tesla prior to August of 2017 that bought it strictly for being green vs buying it for styling, performance, Autopilot, tech and features. It has been a very small crowd that can afford an auto starting at $75K and ranging up to $140K or more. If you can drop $10K just on ludicrous mode I'm quite certain you aren't doing it for the planet.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
This is just my thinking, superchargers network is really meant as infrastructure to enable Tesla owners to be able to do road trips, so more people would get EV without range anxiety, it is not meant as your daily commute gas station. Why would you not like the convenience of charging at home? I have lifeiime free supercharging and 3 supercharger stations 6 to 8 miles from my home and have no plan to use any of them. EV is not meant to save gas money even though it is quite a bit cheaper than gas, it is about saving the environment.

This is just my thinking, superchargers network is really meant as infrastructure to enable Tesla owners to be able to do road trips, so more people would get EV without range anxiety, it is not meant as your daily commute gas station. Why would you not like the convenience of charging at home? I have lifeiime free supercharging and 3 supercharger stations 6 to 8 miles from my home and have no plan to use any of them. EV is not meant to save gas money even though it is quite a bit cheaper than gas, it is about saving the environment.
Can you imagine in a year or two how many 3's will be clogging up the Super Chargers? You probably will have to make an appointment to charge! I think it's still CHEAP to charge there!!

Reactions: Lloyd