Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did my first rotation today at Costco on my 2019 LR RWD at 10,000 miles. I made an appointment for 2pm to try and avoid long wait times. Here are a few things I experienced that may be helpful to others getting ready to do a tire rotation.

1) Price was $26.99. If I had bought the tires at Costco it would have been free but these are still OEM tires.

2) Even though I had an appointment it took them 2 hours. Not very happy about that.

3) Rear tires were at 6/32, front tires at 8/32. So it was a good call to rotate them.

4) They inflated all four tires with nitrogen. The PSI they claim they inflated the tires to is 42. My door jamb says 45. I’m thinking they did not bother looking at the door jamb and just went with 42 since newer Model 3’s have 42 on the door jamb.

5) The TPMS is registering 47-48 psi on the tires. I’m thinking this is because they replaced the air with nitrogen and the sensors have not adjusted yet. I did not notice much difference on the ride home.

6) They did not properly secure the aero cap on the front passenger tire so it was loose when I got home. Good thing I checked.

7) A slice of pizza cost $1.99. Free samples today were just average.

I did my first rotation today at Costco on my 2019 LR RWD at 10,000 miles. I made an appointment for 2pm to try and avoid long wait times. Here are a few things I experienced that may be helpful to others getting ready to do a tire rotation.

1) Price was $26.99. If I had bought the tires at Costco it would have been free but these are still OEM tires.

2) Even though I had an appointment it took them 2 hours. Not very happy about that.

3) Rear tires were at 6/32, front tires at 8/32. So it was a good call to rotate them.

4) They inflated all four tires with nitrogen. The PSI they claim they inflated the tires to is 42. My door jamb says 45. I’m thinking they did not bother looking at the door jamb and just went with 42 since newer Model 3’s have 42 on the door jamb.

5) The TPMS is registering 47-48 psi on the tires. I’m thinking this is because they replaced the air with nitrogen and the sensors have not adjusted yet. I did not notice much difference on the ride home.

6) They did not properly secure the aero cap on the front passenger tire so it was loose when I got home. Good thing I checked.

Did they follow the proper jacking procedures to not damage the battery pack?

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Nitrogen isn't harmful, but it provide absolutely zero benefit too.

I honestly never take the free samples. It just seems sad. The pizza isn't bad, but my guilty pleasure is the hot dog with the deli mustard, relish, and onions.

Did you do a COVID-19 stock up while you were there? My weekend visit taught me people consider toilet paper an important item to stockpile for their quarantine. That's surprising, because none of the Coronavirus symptoms I've read about involve gastro problems.

Nitrogen isn't harmful, but it provide absolutely zero benefit too.

I honestly never take the free samples. It just seems sad. The pizza isn't bad, but my guilty pleasure is the hot dog with the deli mustard, relish, and onions.

Did you do a COVID-19 stock up while you were there? My weekend visit taught me people consider toilet paper an important item to stockpile for their quarantine. That's surprising, because none of the Coronavirus symptoms I've read about involve gastro problems.

They were completely sold out of bottled water, hand sanitizer, and toilet paper. They did hand everyone a Clorox wipe as they walked in the door to wipe down their shopping carts. And they had hand sanitizer available at the food court for customers to use.

• Love
Reactions: focher
My go-to at Costco is a chicken bake, but ask for a packet or two of parmesan and red pepper. Bite off a piece, sprinkle a bit of parm and/or pepper flakes on the remainder, and repeat.

Soo.... they emptied and refilled your tires? I really doubt that. 47-48 is not unreasonable for a warm psi if they filled the tires to 45 cold.

I also don't trust just anybody(costco, ntb) to do work on my cars. NTB horribly underinflated(36psi) a friends Tesla tire, presumably because they were just too lazy to look at the door jamb.

Try Americas Tire. My wife's model 3 had the tires rotated there. No cost.

Try Americas Tire. My wife's model 3 had the tires rotated there. No cost.

I thought about it but it just feels a little weird to walk into a store I did not buy anything from and ask them to perform a free service for me. I’d rather buy my next set of tires at Costco so I don’t want to be unfair to the local America’s Tire Store.

I thought about it but it just feels a little weird to walk into a store I did not buy anything from and ask them to perform a free service for me. I’d rather buy my next set of tires at Costco so I don’t want to be unfair to the local America’s Tire Store.
I will keep you in mind while I am getting new tires tomorrow at Americas Tire. I will walk over from Americas Tire to costco across the street for lunch. Has Costco ever given you a treadwear warranty credit toward a new tire? I finally talked my wife out of using Costco for tires.

I will keep you in mind while I am getting new tires tomorrow at Americas Tire. I will walk over from Americas Tire to costco across the street for lunch. Has Costco ever given you a treadwear warranty credit toward a new tire? I finally talked my wife out of using Costco for tires.
That's my experience as well. They sold me the tires but then they were done. Next set came from somewhere else.

I will definitely give them a close look when I’m ready to buy new tires. I’m not loyal to Costco for tires. I just find it more convenient to go there for things like rotation services because if I’m going to be stuck waiting around for a couple of hours I would rather at least have a place to shop and eat. The America’s Tire store here is in an industrial area with nothing to do while waiting.

I do believe Costco will offer partial credits for premature wear. However, I usually go with Michelin tires and they will not give me a prorated credit until my tires get down to 2/32, and I hate waiting that long before replacing tires. The roads get pretty slick here when it rains and 2/32 is not much tread to work with on a wet slippery road.

Reactions: brkaus
I will definitely give them a close look when I’m ready to buy new tires. I’m not loyal to Costco for tires. I just find it more convenient to go there for things like rotation services because if I’m going to be stuck waiting around for a couple of hours I would rather at least have a place to shop and eat. The America’s Tire store here is in an industrial area with nothing to do while waiting.

I do believe Costco will offer partial credits for premature wear. However, I usually go with Michelin tires and they will not give me a prorated credit until my tires get down to 2/32, and I hate waiting that long before replacing tires. The roads get pretty slick here when it rains and 2/32 is not much tread to work with on a wet slippery road.
I live in northern ca on the coast so know all about wet weather. I believe Americas tire will credit at 3/32. All my tires are Michelin.

any other questions to ask? My DT said they could rotate on jacks if I was worried? would that make a difference?

I'm coming up to 10K miles on my SR so past due :(

No, jacks won’t make a difference. The only thing that matters is that they mount the hockey pucks into the jack points so that the jack or lift is not directly touching the battery frame.

But if you live in an area with a lot of Teslas these businesses have probably done thousands of tire rotations on them by now so I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

The more I think about the Discount Tire thing though the more hesitant I am to use them. At least with Costco I’m paying them a small fee to do the work. That means if something goes wrong I can hold them liable to pay for the damages. I’m really not sure what would happen if you ask Discount Tire to rotate your tires for free and then they damage the car. I’m not a legal expert but I know in general you have to pay for a service before you can hold someone liable for damages.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and vickh