Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Autopilot really make extreme evasive manuvers on its own?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've wondered about this for a while now.

Every once in a while, I've seen someone post a video stating that while they were on Autopilot, Autopilot made an extreme maneuver on its own to swerve away to another lane to avoid a colision and return back to the lane it was on earlier.

I mean this sounds fantastical and amazing and all but all my experiences with Autopilot have been very deliberate and measured. In fact it is generally quite timid and cautious.

So the question is can someone who understands and knows Autopilot better than me take a look at this video and tell us if Autopilot can make extreme maneuvers on its own by swerving to another lane at a high rate of speed and return back to the lane it was on to evade something?

https://twitter.com/TeslaOwnersSK/status/1273981717125070848

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Closest Ive had was on a recent trip on 95 south. Was on NOA in right lane of 4 lane highway. 2 lanes each direction, wide tree filled median between directions. On NOA, car went to auto lane change to left lane to pass slower car in front of me in right lane. As my car got halfway to the left lane, warning sounds went off and the car jerked rather suddenly backed to right lane. Did this multiple times. I narrowed it down to the random sized/random spaced shadows that the trees were casting onto the left lane. This never occurred when there were no shadows in that lane.

So if that's what's meant by an emergency jerk evasive maneuver, that's closest Ive come.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The most dramatic evasive maneuver I’ve experienced was last summer on a 3-lane portion of I-80. I was in the rightmost lane approaching an exit when the car in the leftmost lane decided to exit. I never saw him until my S hit the brakes hard, warning tone, and the AP dove onto paved shoulder. I would say it was almost as extreme as the video.

• Informative
Reactions: quickstrike12
The most dramatic evasive maneuver I’ve experienced was last summer on a 3-lane portion of I-80. I was in the rightmost lane approaching an exit when the car in the leftmost lane decided to exit. I never saw him until my S hit the brakes hard, warning tone, and the AP dove onto paved shoulder. I would say it was almost as extreme as the video.

I believe Elon mentioned that the AP cameras essentially see everything happen in "slow motion" and can react quickly so hopefully we will see these evasive reactions improve over time when evasion is the only way to avoid a collision.

Wonder if we will ever see an option to honk if a distracted person drifts into your lance. There are cases where you can prevent an accident using the horn to alert a distracted or careless driver who essentially tries to merge into you because they didn't check.

Wonder if we will ever see an option to honk if a distracted person drifts into your lance. There are cases where you can prevent an accident using the horn to alert a distracted or careless driver who essentially tries to merge into you because they didn't check.
yea, I like that idea and long as it would be a short honk and not leaning on the horn to the extend that the other driver would want to make a road rage shooting :eek::D