Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking cause on Dash Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto pilot should take some of the load off while driving but for me I feel I have to take extra care as Im never too sure when it brakes for no apparent reason (Phantom braking) Im sure there would be something in the software that triggers this event so Im just wondering if its possible to display that "obstacle/issue" on the screen as a graphic or from camera image or warning message identifying the trigger. This may help a driver avoid the situation that the autopilot understands as dangerous.
Might be just a simple OTA update?? Just a thought
How about it Elon?

Routine phantom braking.

FSDb: "a sign! a sign! what-the-hell!"

Repeat.

routine_phantom_braking.jpg

This is generally only a 5-10mph slowdown (relatively gentle but repeats every time I drive by)

Last drive, it braked to 9mph from over 40. Trip to the recycling center had cans flying.

FSDb: "a truck! a truck! what-the-hell!"

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I've nailed down one of mine - it's super weird. Overhead power lines. Every single time I drive under power lines crossing the highway above me, it slows 10km/h. Like clockwork.

I've yet to figure out the other, brake slamming events. They're less predictable (and thankfully less frequent).

Every single time I drive under power lines crossing the highway above me, it slows 10km/h. Like clockwork.
Might be the "improved UFO detection" mentioned in the release notes. ;)

In my neighborhood there was a 25 MPH UPL that improved quite a bit with 11.3.6. Prior it would make a sharp 90 degree turn. Now it is more natural, curved turn. Nice.

Except on trash day. The display shows the many trash cans on the curb. When they are out, the car slows and jerks around as if it was seeing a crowd of pedestrians as far as it can see. The display is accurate but the behavior changes significantly. It's easily repeatable every Wednesday! :D

Two steps forward, one back. But it does seem PB is getting worse with each release. If I were Elon, I'd be very bothered by this fundamental flaw for so long now.

Even after a car has turned across in front the braking is pretty delayed I can see that, but it will not show that on the screen. If these trigger events could be displayed would be helpful. It can "read" speed signs but when it comes to power lines chickens and UFOs it goes WTF??? Wot does AI stand for again?
On the brow of a hill it brakes not "seeing" the road ahead but shows on the display. Is that the left CPU not communicating to the right CPU?

Last edited:
Auto pilot should take some of the load off while driving but for me I feel I have to take extra care as Im never too sure when it brakes for no apparent reason (Phantom braking) Im sure there would be something in the software that triggers this event so Im just wondering if its possible to display that "obstacle/issue" on the screen as a graphic or from camera image or warning message identifying the trigger. This may help a driver avoid the situation that the autopilot understands as dangerous.
Might be just a simple OTA update?? Just a thought
How about it Elon?

Roads with few cars, undulations in elevation, and mirages from heat are common causes.

Try reformatting the USB drive and doing a compute reset. Clean the glass above all cameras, and if that doesn't help, recalibrate cameras.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
I’m noticing remarks about contacting Elon. I expect he’s too busy playing with X, or some other bright shiny object that needs smashing.
But what about the corporation being completely insulated from its Customers? This is a serious issue! Who’s watching the store?

There is one spot on the highway (4 lane, divided, 60mph speed limit) to our son's that always had the car slow. The last time I went through, I was there with my foot ready to nudge it along, and nothing happened. I was almost disappointed! Haven't been back to confirm this bug is truly gone. It is funny how I grow fond the repeatable fails, just because I feel competent for anticipating and overcoming them without issue.

Sadly, it is the unrepeatable mysteries that make me regret buying FSD. I don't use FSDb much, except on the highway where it is still slightly better than EAP (until it acts up unpredictably and dangerously.) I don't recommend anyone buy FSD.

Reactions: pikeman