Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could you live without the Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all,
So having been set on leasing I’m not heading towards evezy as the flexibility is worth the small increase in cost (likely I’ll move abroad during the lease term)

one key downside of evezy is they say you won’t get access to the Tesla app.

So can any owners give me a balanced view on this, what would be a real issue in not having the app?

the inner geek in me really wants the app and everything it can do but the flexibility of evezy is a huge appeal so keen for any and all thoughts.

thanks

Huh, thats crazy. Nothing in the app that they should want to block. I think you can even set up a second account and also link it to the car, although Tesla usually recommend just a single account shared for multiple users.

How do they handle charged costs such as supercharging? Or do they say you can't supercharge either?

I'm wondering if there are some wires crossed somewhere.

Last edited:
Without the Tesla App you're not going to get the advanced summon feature. That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Just last night my wife and I went to dinner with another couple. I dropped everyone off at the door and parked on the far side of the parking lot as usual. After dinner we stepped outside and it was raining, I mean really coming down. Well I pulled out my phone and summoned the car and it backed out of the parking space and drove to us. I then opened the doors and we jumped in. The guy that was with us is the owner of a Ford dealership here in rural Illinois. This was his first ride in my Tesla. He never said a word about the car not one question on the way their (not a Tesla fan). But when I summoned the car he pulled out his phone and recorded it. That broke the ice he just shook his head and said the technology they are putting in these cars is unbelievable.

Without the Tesla App you're not going to get the advanced summon feature. That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Just last night my wife and I went to dinner with another couple. I dropped everyone off at the door and parked on the far side of the parking lot as usual. After dinner we stepped outside and it was raining, I mean really coming down. Well I pulled out my phone and summoned the car and it backed out of the parking space and drove to us. I then opened the doors and we jumped in. The guy that was with us is the owner of a Ford dealership here in rural Illinois. This was his first ride in my Tesla. He never said a word about the car not one question on the way their (not a Tesla fan). But when I summoned the car he pulled out his phone and recorded it. That broke the ice he just shook his head and said the technology they are putting in these cars is unbelievable.

Nice story! However, you are just going to make the UK buyers mad ... it doesn't work here.

Evezy allows short term rental with a commitment of just one month so I suspect it’s less about wanting to block access to the app and more about not wanting you to link the car to your account and then having the challenge of unlinking as and when you change

Agree ref smart summon however I wasn’t expecting to get FSD at all if I’d leased so in that sense I’m getting more than I would otherwise

@VanillaAir_UK supercharging is included free of charge! Albeit if I don’t have the app I wont be able to keep an eye on how the charging is going if i’m in a motorway services or shopping centre

@John Rucker what else do you typically use the app for aside from smart summon?

Reactions: NigelT
I would say not being able to preheat the car, which is fantastic especially in the depths of winter - all that scrapping ice off the car :eek:.

Second would be not being able to check how the car is getting on when Supercharging.

I also use basic summon quite a bit, so losing that would be a pain.

supercharging is included free of charge! Albeit if I don’t have the app I wont be able to keep an eye on how the charging is going if i’m in a motorway services or shopping centre

That would be a significant issue. You need to know when charging is complete if you are having lunch or whatever at a motorway services. You could be charged for time beyond your charge completion and also delay others waiting to charge.

Morning all,
So having been set on leasing I’m not heading towards evezy as the flexibility is worth the small increase in cost (likely I’ll move abroad during the lease term)

So can any owners give me a balanced view on this, what would be a real issue in not having the app?

the inner geek in me really wants the app and everything it can do but the flexibility of evezy is a huge appeal so keen for any and all thoughts.

thanks
You can always get Remote for Tesla app. Costs £9.99 but does everything (I think) and more that the Tesla app does.

Check this YouTube video to see what it can do (ignore the title the Siri part)

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You won’t be able to do a few things outside the car, even if next to it, either

open the frunk ( this especially )
Open the trunk
Unlock charge port
Stop/start a charge
Open/close windows
Enable sentry mode
Turn on/off heating/air con/heated-seats
Summon (of any variety)
Etc

And, you’ll have no way to organise a service appointment, which is now exclusively done through the app

Reactions: Keeper
I wonder how he's going to open the charge port when its locked :rolleyes: He'll go crazy if he's relying solely on the card.

Just spoken to someone at evezy, so they have their own app that has fleet access into Teslas systems.

So their app apparently provides:

Lock/unlock
Pre-heat
Trunk/frunk opening

Does not offer summon. Unclear on supercharging info (they’re going to confirm over email)

So this is a bit better than I thought.

You won’t be able to do a few things outside the car, even if next to it, either

Open the trunk
Unlock charge port
Stop/start a charge
Open/close windows
Enable sentry mode
Summon (of any variety)
Etc

And, you’ll have no way to organise a service appointment, which is now exclusively done through the app

Thanks @NorfolkMustard service would all be handled through evezy I think, really appreciate the detail, my reply above confirms that at least some of these will be available through evezy’s own app so that’s something

Reactions: Keeper
Unknown so far, might be worse and force you just to use their app. I'll ask and find out.
I doubt their app will work as keyless access - it would open up a whole lot of security issues if any old app could open the car just by being in its proximity. Tesla Api does support remotely opening the car and starting it, but its not the same as keyless access.

I can see why they may want to have more control over the car than a long term lease, but I am sure there would be easier ways to do it without duplicating all the functions on their own app.

Open the trunk
Unlock charge port
Stop/start a charge
Open/close windows
Enable sentry mode
Summon (of any variety)
Etc

I don't seem to have this on mine Norfolk............ I assume you must be talking about the S or X?