Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of thoughts on Quality Control on new Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SageBrush

Also as a member of the Armed Forces, you have defined Hanger Queen exactly as I meant. While my P85 wasn't "cannibalized" or "controlled Substitution" (as they say these days to be more PC), it sure felt like it.

Here is a small list of what had to be done to my P85 (it was a CPO, so some my have been previous owner fault):

1. Car pulled and followed ruts from delivery. 3 alignments, no change
2. Replaced both front wheel bearings, No change
3. Replaced entire front suspension and half rear control arms, fixed issue (upper and lower control arms)
4. Bent 21" wheels twice in 1" pot hole. (yes I stopped an measured it). $400 in repairs a@ 100 per wheel.
5. Lift gate actuators failed, replaced
6. Climate control fan failed
7. A/C compressor excessive vibration, replaced
8. Rear hatch flooded (gallon of water poured out on me as i lifted the hatch). replaced tail light assembly
9. Sun roof leak on my head. Repaired twice, still failed. Ended up cutting out gen one roof and installing all new gen 2 roof
10. Headliner came apart, fixed
11. Review mirror housing cover fell off, replaced
12. Car supposed to come with Spoiler, did not. Added later in another service appointment
13. Charge Port LED Failed, replaced.

All within 8 months and 20k miles.

Honestly, that's all I can remember at the moment. So in the end, she looked real pretty in the garage (or the service center), but that's about it.

What were the symptoms of your A/C compressor vibration? I have a vibration in the floorboard that stops when I turn the A/C off.

My first visit to the SC was one month after delivery (because that was the soonest they could take me) and I had 12 repair items on the list. I've been back every 2-4 weeks since working on some of the original 12 and adding many new items. Mine was delivered new in September 2016.

The A/C Vibration carried itself through to the steering wheel. But, that was on an early VIN car. They have since changed the Compressor and mounting design. You may have a A/C coolant hose touching the body and it's vibrating when the compressor is activated or you may have a loose mounting bolt.

You will get a little vibration from the A/C, especially under full load, as its the only thing moving when you are at a stop. On an ICE car the engine vibration cancels it out (or hides it).

Tesla has very little interest in putting out a high quality product, that's obvious from all the issues reported in these forums and the fact that QC has not improved in the last 3-4 years.

Nothing will change at Tesla until owners such as yourself start refusing delivery of defective vehicles. That's when Tesla starts to feel it in the pocketbook and starts making QC a priority. As long as you reward Tesla for putting out a bad product, why should they change?

Reactions: Sather and ABC2D
Tesla has very little interest in putting out a high quality product, that's obvious from all the issues reported in these forums and the fact that QC has not improved in the last 3-4 years.

Nothing will change at Tesla until owners such as yourself start refusing delivery of defective vehicles. That's when Tesla starts to feel it in the pocketbook and starts making QC a priority. As long as you reward Tesla for putting out a bad product, why should they change?

I was thinking about you today, are you still driving your P85? or have you sold it or upgraded?

I agree.

The problem is that by the time you've stepped into their showroom to take delivery, you've already paid for the car (via loan doc, wire transfer etc..)

So basically, you're NOT taking delivery on a car you've already paid for....

Lose Lose situation...

I hope Tesla starts improving their trim quality and not just focus on battery and the auto-pilot...

In my baseless opinion, I am of the belief that these quality issues are just being pushed off to the service centers.

If this were true the SC would properly test the car before delivery and work with the DS to provide the best delivery experience. From the stories in here and personal experience they do not.
Also from my experience(talks to the SC) it is up to us to detect and report issues. I am currently not sure if they do more than reported by us, unless there is service bulletin out.

Reactions: PaulusdB
I'll have to start a whole thread on why I gave up my P85.

But in summary:

"She was a gorgeous lady, but an absolute hanger queen"
It's hangar. But I wonder if these persistent QC issues are the NUMMI Curse? Back then, GM would push cars off the line that couldn't even start, much less drive away. They had teams out in the parking lot with tools and parts correcting the mistakes the Unstoppable Line created. Volume was everything.
Not a good sign for Model 3, and it's getting late.
Robin

• Informative
Reactions: PaulusdB
Just poking fun...

Anyways. I have sat and watched the delivery drivers offload cars, while.its not super harsh, I don't think it takes much to knock these aluminum chassis cars out of alignment.

If it's not the delivery, then factory alignments really stink!

If this were true the SC would properly test the car before delivery and work with the DS to provide the best delivery experience. From the stories in here and personal experience they do not.
Also from my experience(talks to the SC) it is up to us to detect and report issues. I am currently not sure if they do more than reported by us, unless there is service bulletin out.
Ideally, yes. But most service centers are overworked and under-staffed and only so much they can do.

*steps on soap box*

Just ended up purchasing my third Tesla. First was a 2014 s85 with AP1, second a 2013 P85, and now a 2017 60D AP2. Obviously, I like Tesla's (enough to buy three of them), but I got to say I am a little disappointed in new production QC. As a disclaimer, Tesla is going to make all the deficiencies right, however it should have never left the factory or delivery center before being corrected.

Items found incorrect:

1. Front tire out of balance or out of round. Car "thumps" down the road.
2. Alignment way off. Steering wheel 15 degrees off center and pulls right.
3. Front and rear door seals defective. Have bulges that you you can stick you finger in (seal not laying flat against headliner)
3. Front airdam corner plastic pieces incorrectly installed. One doesn't snap in all the way, other flat out came out and was found lodged in to the grill.

I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, but for a VIN upwards of 180k, they should have these obvious items correct before delivery. Last time a saw a car that had these kind obvious issues it was an early 2000's Chevy.

If Tesla reads these forums, you all might want to double check your factory QC standards!

Either way, much better car than the previous two, it's just time to step up the QC game to be in line with a $70k car.

*End soap box standing*

I totally know what you mean. I have a 75 Model S 2017 model. So far with only 800 miles I have these issues:

1. folding mirrors (fixed)
2. Rear doors make a click noise when opening (not fixed)
3. Passenger side leather seats have poor leather quality and the glove box area (not fixed - but they have already reorder the chair and glove box for me
4. A rattling noise near the rear seats (not fixed)

The problem is if you refuse delivery they will happily add it as an inventory car for some sucker who is less picky to pick up. For the really bad ones they either use them as loaners and then sell them at a discount with 5-10k miles on them or offload them to third party dealers.

I have a 2017 S90D with 1000 Miles on it. Picked Up Feb 11th.

Several Issues so far. Very similar to others. Quality control is very poor. None of these first-day issues were present on our 2014 S85. In fact In over 20k miles on the S85 we have not once went to service.

1. Front Seats already showing very bad wrinkling. Black Perf Leather. New seat on order. Not fixed yet.
2. Driver side rear view mirror would not fold out. Fixed on 2nd service visit. Apparently replaced entirely.
3. Front Bumper Lower Intake trim was not aligned correctly, bowing and with gaps. Fixed on first service visit however service center broke my left/right ultrasonic sensor clips and did not reinstall the rubber boots properly. I had to show them on how to properly re-install the boots. They seem swamped and do not have the time to pay attention.
4. Sunroof does not always open in hot weather. Waiting to see this will resolve itself. We'll see.
5. Clunk sound from air suspension on rebound when going over speed bumps. This is not how our 2014 S85 sounds with air suspension.
6. Alignment was off and pulling to the left. Toe in was fixed on first service visit and now rides true.

All in all not major but collectively the time spent fixing a brand new car is unacceptable. I concur with those above who said the factory is explicitly off-loading their quality control to service centers. I can only imagine how slammed Tesla workers will be when Model 3 production begins.

Just poking fun...

Anyways. I have sat and watched the delivery drivers offload cars, while.its not super harsh, I don't think it takes much to knock these aluminum chassis cars out of alignment.

If it's not the delivery, then factory alignments really stink!

I'm going to have to go with the "factory alignments really stink!" thesis, perhaps even due to some bad components. From what little about it I understand, alignment "goes out" due to worn components (bushings, etc), loosened adjusters or bent or damaged components. I would think that a professional delivery driver would know how to onload/offload cars without damaging them; seems it would take quite a bit of impact to bend suspension components.

Problem is with our suspensions it doesn't take much, (I personally disassembled mine on the P85 and showed the SC the bent control arm). They have two front lower control arms and the front link doesn't take much to bend. The SC even said small potholes have bent the front (front of the two) control arm ball joints on a fairly common basis. Bending the front causes both a toe and a caster issue.

So it's hard to say, could also be a mentalurgy problem. The BS thing is to remove the rear front lower control arm requires dropping the battery, as the chassis mounting bolt is put in backwards as to not puncture the battery in a front end collision. Can't back out the bolt and get it past the battery.

The parts were cheap (relatively @ $150 or so per arm) the labor however is out of control with having to remove the battery.

I was thinking about you today, are you still driving your P85? or have you sold it or upgraded?

I still have it! I'm at 60,000 miles and recently had it in service because of a bug in my tail light, noisy rear hatch struts, and whirring road noise coming from the tires. They replaced the infested tail light and hatch struts, my whirring tires were apparently due to "scalloping". Alignment was re-done but according to service none of the parameters that normally lead to odd tire wear were that far off. They did note that my castor had changed by an unusual amount, and corrected it. They seemed surprised by that, as was I because I know nothing about those things! lol

We have a Model 3 on order and hope that goes well. I won't be looking at a new Model S until it's properly redesigned. While Tesla has added a lot of things to it, it's still basically the same first generation design that it rolled out in 2012 with many of the same flaws and shortcomings. It needs a complete do-over.

The problem is that by the time you've stepped into their showroom to take delivery, you've already paid for the car (via loan doc, wire transfer etc..)

So basically, you're NOT taking delivery on a car you've already paid for....

Lose Lose situation...

I hope Tesla starts improving their trim quality and not just focus on battery and the auto-pilot...
I suspect and would hope that if you refuse delivery over QC issues, Tesla will offer to either build you a new car or refund your money.