Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Courier home delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a delivery appointment scheduled for today. This morning Tesla calls and asks if I would like someone to deliver the car to my house. I'm only 15 miles away from the SC, so I guess not a big deal. Wondering if this is a new thing? Anyone else have this done?

Basically the person that delivers it picks up my check and leaves me with the car. I'm not doing a trade in and already digitally signed the MVPA. The person then takes an Uber back to the SC.

Reactions: neroden
They had offered this service to Los Angeles area folks over the weekend, but I heard nothing after. They’re just trying to reduce congestion at the delivery centers and get as many cars out before the end of the quarter.

I just got a call that my delivery date was pushed back one day and was now a home delivery (never requested or previously offered). I do have a trade-in, so no idea how they plan on arranging that unless they are driving off with it.

I just got a call that my delivery date was pushed back one day and was now a home delivery (never requested or previously offered). I do have a trade-in, so no idea how they plan on arranging that unless they are driving off with it.
"We bring the new car, we leave with the old one" seems like a perfectly reasonable way to handle home delivery with a trade-in.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Lots of reports here ... pl search

I don't know about OP, but I did do a search (and found this thread) - lots of inconsistencies or no follow up comments from those who did home delivery on what was involved, especially in regards to trade-in.

"We bring the new car, we leave with the old one" seems like a perfectly reasonable way to handle home delivery with a trade-in.

Agree 100%, but ISA couldn't confirm / didn't seem that familiar with the process and as mentioned above, can't find any definitive answer on the forums. One post did mention that they put the trade-in on the flatbed delivery truck, but not sure what is feasible since I live in Chicago and don't have a driveway or ample street parking for a large delivery truck to pull up.

I had a delivery appointment scheduled for today. This morning Tesla calls and asks if I would like someone to deliver the car to my house. I'm only 15 miles away from the SC, so I guess not a big deal. Wondering if this is a new thing? Anyone else have this done?

Basically the person that delivers it picks up my check and leaves me with the car. I'm not doing a trade in and already digitally signed the MVPA. The person then takes an Uber back to the SC.

I'm also in Maryland and took home delivery Friday. I confirmed a pick-up appointment at Owings Mills last week, but then I was surprised when someone called me from the SC an hour later and said I was now getting a home delivery. I'm about the same distance from the SC as you. The experience was a good one for me. The courier drove up and parked the car outside of my garage. She let me inspect it for as long as I wanted, and I never felt rushed or pressured. She then took about 15 minutes to walk me through the menus on the touchscreen. She was very pleasant and even offered to take photos. I signed the paperwork and that was it. I didn't have a trade-in, and she left in an Uber. The whole thing took about 40 minutes.

Reactions: Troy916

Nothing about this process has been reasonable though.

I was required to drop mine off at a Tesla location prior to even having delivery scheduled- they told me the home delivery people are 3rd party, not Tesla, and don't pick up trade ins.

The scheduled delivery date has now come and gone, with no new date.

So now I don't have a car at all. Tesla has my old one and my new one, and has been non-responsive on when they'll be changing that situation.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Brenzo

Don't have anything to add to your post except: Go Hokies! :)

I was required to drop mine off at a Tesla location prior to even having delivery scheduled- they told me the home delivery people are 3rd party, not Tesla, and don't pick up trade ins.

So now I don't have a car at all. Tesla has my old one and my new one, and has been non-responsive on when they'll be changing that situation.

OK, that's probably the worst delivery story I've read on here yet. Did you ask for a loaner from local SC?

Thanks for the insight, sorry to hear of your troubles!

• Love
Reactions: neroden
OK, that's probably the worst delivery story I've read on here yet. Did you ask for a loaner from local SC?

Thanks for the insight, sorry to hear of your troubles!

The initial discussion between my IDA and I regarding the trade in was where I told him I was fine going without a car for a few days, but I can't be without one for weeks unless Tesla is giving me a loaner in between.

He said no problem he'd schedule my trade in date for just a few days before delivery.

So a bit after that is when he told me please complete your payment and trade in before Saturday (the 22nd)- which I did (traded in on Thursday afternoon- and they got the check the same day). And my tesla.com account showed the delivery date over the weekend so that all made sense.

Then no car showed up.

And the IDA is MIA.

I called the Tesla 888 number this evening- the woman was unable to provide any useful information. She told me my delivery advisor was the only one who could schedule a delivery, and she couldn't even confirm where my car physically was... she said "It looks like it's either in North Carolina, or it's in transit to North Carolina"

Uh...thanks? It's been in transit TO North Carolina since August 20th at this point. Don't you people have GPS and LTE in all your cars so you can't not know exactly where they are? (I didn't say this- it's not her fault her company is incompetent at logistics and fulfilment)

Anyway she promised she was going to have the delivery department contact me with an update. I'll be pretty shocked if anybody follows through there.

But yeah- my plan if I don't hear from em tomorrow is to go into the local showroom Thursday and tell them I'm leaving with either a loaner or a firm delivery date that still starts with September.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Sg911

Wow , thank you for the info.... sounds like a warning for my upcoming

So the home delivery was really easy. Guy showed us some simple features, we signed a couple pieces of paper and handed him the check. Couple minor paint issues he noted and said we can follow up with the SC. EAP was not enabled on the car so I had to call the 888 number and it has been assigned to engineering. Lady on the phone said 24-48 hrs.

The delivery agent gave me his card, and he was with their power division. I'm assuming they've pulled in people from other parts of the organization to help out with deliveries. His Uber showed up as we finished and he was on his way back to the SC for his next delivery. Odometer had 20 miles on it, and it is 15 miles from the SC to my house. They even put a full charge on the car.

@Knightshade try calling 888-771-2505 and not the 888 number listed on Tesla.com

I believe that number is for ISA / IDA agents. You may be prompted to input phone extension of the agent, but I think if you wait a few it redirects you and that person may be able to provide some more assistance.

Greatly appreciate the #!

So after 58 minutes on hold...right before I was going to hang up...a lovely woman answered, was super friendly, and FINALLY provided some actual information.

She said the car was still in transit but would be ready for pickup on September 30th. Which would make it 40 days to get from CA to NC.

She then offered to schedule pickup for me in Raleigh (so either they're back to doing actual in person delivery or she never got the memo NC has switched to home-delivery only a few weeks ago)- so in theory I'm now scheduled to pick up in Raleigh September 30th.

She said I'd be getting an email shortly confirming all this- and sure enough I did....not only that my tesla.com account DOES now show that delivery appointment.

Assuming this actually comes thorough I owe you a beverage of your choice if you're ever in the area :)

Reactions: Brenzo and neroden
Then no car showed up.
I've read a lot of delivery horror stories on TMC, but this is the worst one yet.

Home delivery seems like a reasonable option and a good way for Telsa to seriously multiply its deliveries by expanding what they consider a Service Center, but in many cases, the rep dropping of the car doesn't know a thing about the car and it is literally a hand-off. Not quite the 30 minute walk around and demo that my colleague experienced at his delivery in May.

Whether it works or not depends on what you expect and/or need!

Today 9/25 offered home delivery here in Fremont of my P3- on Friday. It is a 6-month early lease return of my 3/22/2016 X P90D under their "ownership loyalty" program. I never planned to keep that X knowing its AP would be obsolete. The VIN is only 417 so I worried about post-warranty repairs, too! (Tesla pays off remaining U.S. bank lease and waives my disposition fee.) It will be nice to finally "own" a Tesla instead of "renting" one! I hope my VIN is 100K plus, this time! The $7.5K tax credit will come in handy, too.

I'm glad I found this thread. Now I'm emailing my Inside Support Advisor to make sure he is aware they have to pick up the Model X after I accept delivery of the Model 3! Saves them an Uber ride.

I'll report back my home delivery/lease return (hopefully) experience after Friday.

It only took Tesla 6 days from my upgrading my order from AWD 3 Dec. delivery to P3- to schedule delivery, so they must really be cranking out 3's right now. Either that or they are simply diverting deliveries to people who can get the vehicles before the end of Q3. I hope I'm not getting a vehicle that was originally destined for someone else... That might explain why "The VIN will be made available to you approximately 24-48 hours prior to pick-up."

• Helpful
Reactions: Sg911