Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Covercraft UVS100 Heatshield - Now One Piece

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got mine today. I've owned a few of these on past vehicles but this one seems to be a tight fit. At first I thought they sent me the wrong one, but I double checked the model number and I just was a little more forceful with getting it in place. Sure enough, it's a perfect fit but it's almost too perfect (if there's such a thing). I wish the total width was about 2mm shorter so it wasn't as difficult to get in place. Perhaps I'll just get use to it but installing and removing it takes longer then it did on my previous vehicles. That being said, I've also been a fan of these sun shades so I have no doubts it will serve its purpose well.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
No issues with the shade installed.

Have you had any issues with the dash cam and heat in the summer? It gets to 110F+ where I live, meaning the interior probably gets up to 130F+ (if not hotter). I’m a bit concerned if I get a dash cam and put up the covercraft sun shade, it’s going to make that dash cam get extremely hot. It looks like they’re rated up to ~160F+ but I wouldn’t be surprised if the area between the windshield and sunshade got near those temperatures.

Have you had any issues with the dash cam and heat in the summer? It gets to 110F+ where I live, meaning the interior probably gets up to 130F+ (if not hotter). I’m a bit concerned if I get a dash cam and put up the covercraft sun shade, it’s going to make that dash cam get extremely hot. It looks like they’re rated up to ~160F+ but I wouldn’t be surprised if the area between the windshield and sunshade got near those temperatures.
Do you use cabin overheat protection? Using that should ease your mind and the heat shield will make it easier on the car to maintain temp below 104.

No issues whatsoever, but we don’t get temps that high here in the PNW, either.

Do you use cabin overheat protection? Using that should ease your mind and the heat shield will make it easier on the car to maintain temp below 104.

I don't currently use it. The reason being is I think it would be constantly running trying to maintain 105-deg F causing excessive battery drain. I really wish we could set a higher temperature, like 130-deg, to prevent the interior from reaching really high temps (probably would just require the fans with no AC). I wouldn't be surprised if it's getting 150 F+ inside the car in the summer. I do have all my windows tinted (front windshield included) with SunTek CeramicIR tint and I use a Covercraft sun shield. This will be my first summer with the Model S so I'll have to give cabin overheat protection a try to see how much battery is actually used.

I don't currently use it. The reason being is I think it would be constantly running trying to maintain 105-deg F causing excessive battery drain. I really wish we could set a higher temperature, like 130-deg, to prevent the interior from reaching really high temps (probably would just require the fans with no AC). I wouldn't be surprised if it's getting 150 F+ inside the car in the summer. I do have all my windows tinted (front windshield included) with SunTek CeramicIR tint and I use a Covercraft sun shield. This will be my first summer with the Model S so I'll have to give cabin overheat protection a try to see how much battery is actually used.
On at least one test, the power drain was minimal compared to having AC fully on. However, that test wasn’t in extreme conditions like yours. I seem to remember that, like Sentry Mode, it will shut off once battery is down to 20%. You might try it when the drive home is reasonable and see what the drain is.

I was concerned about that, too. So I cut a hole in the shade so the camera doesn't get sandwiched between the shade and the windshield, which helps a bit. But I'm not sure if it would be enough in the temp range you mentioned. And, you'd have a hole in your shade. But is you keep the piece you cut out, you can probably re-attach later with some silver tape or something and it wouldn't look too bad.

Cabin Overheat Protection doesn't run constantly. It comes on at 105° and runs until the cabin temp lowers to ~90° and then shuts off. Turns back on at 105° and repeats the cycle for 12 hours or until the battery gets below 20%.

Cabin Overheat Protection doesn't run constantly. It comes on at 105° and runs until the cabin temp lowers to ~90° and then shuts off. Turns back on at 105° and repeats the cycle for 12 hours or until the battery gets below 20%.

That's what I assumed but if I was running it in fan only mode, and the exterior temperature is 110 F+, I'm just thinking it might end up in a situation where it's running nearly constantly. Even with the AC option, I could only imagine it heats up fairly quickly when the outside temperatures are that high. But, this is all a moot point for me because I just realized there is no option for fan only in my 2015 Model S 85D. I thought I had seen it previously but perhaps it was just some pictures I saw on these forums and I assumed all Model S had the option.

I turned it on today but temperatures were significantly lower with rain and overcast layers, so I'm assuming it probably didn't kick on but at least it gives me a baseline to compare it to. I started with 186 miles rated range and 71% charge. Eight hours later it was showing 184 miles and 70%. Temperatures are only supposed to get to the low 90s the rest of this week but I'll keep track of the usage over time as temperatures start to increase.

I just received today the premium version or my model s on the galaxy silver color. Before I bought It I call customer service and they told me they’re were the same just the color finish difference. Now that I have it in hand they both look identical. The fitment is a little tight not like some product videos that show a easy fitment.