Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Covering gloss black console with satin SunTek film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, looks good. I DO like the way the stock gloss black looks but Im pretty sure it will scratch just from looking at it.....so a wrap in something that is specifically made to be scratch resistant is a good idea....and if it does get beat up, simple enough to get it rewrapped.

My MS came brand new with lots of swirly scratches on the interior trim. I didn't notice the day I picked it up, but It looks really bad in certain lighting. I wonder if the clear PPF would hide all of the scratches. Not sure what the satin would look like over the Dark Ash Wood, but that might look really good, and would definitely hide the scratches. Now I just need to find someone in Portland to do the work. My PPF installer told me they don't do interior wraps, when I asked him about it a year ago.

I'm in the camp of those who wrap the console in clear (glossy) wrap. If you look around at the interior, everything is matte, except the console. We may not admit it, but that central shiny object is enough to give a luxury feel to this beautifully simple design.

Reactions: mmccking
I'm in the camp of those who wrap the console in clear (glossy) wrap. If you look around at the interior, everything is matte, except the console. We may not admit it, but that central shiny object is enough to give a luxury feel to this beautifully simple design.
Maybe. I'd have to see some well taken photos of the interior to believe that. While your hypothesis might be true, I'm not convinced at this time.....I do agree it has to be covered with SOMETHING.

Reactions: 03DSG
If you look around at the interior, everything is matte, except the console. We may not admit it, but that central shiny object is enough to give a luxury feel to this beautifully simple design.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I completely disagree. I've been in a few Model 3's at this point and I think that the gloss black actually detracts from the luxury feel because, similar to the gloss black trim in the S/X, the material looks, feels, and sounds like cheap crap plastic.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
I did a mediocre job on the install, but here ya go. Excuse the backing paper and such in the passenger footwell.

IMG_0459.jpeg IMG_0457.jpeg

I was having Ghost Shield in Thousand Oaks, CA apply SunTek clear bra to front of Model 3 today. I asked them if they could put something over the glossy black center console. I never like gloss black. Too shiny, too many fingerprints and too easy to scratch up. They installed for a mere $75 what they called satin film. For me, it makes the interior 100% more pleasant. Some pics are with flash. Some are natural light.

Nice work ... now what can be done about that fugly steering wheel? :cool:

img_4617-jpg.273569