Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID-19 Impact on Tesla production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Corvid-19 still has some way to go just to catch up with US motorcycles:...

Lots of people see very low fatality rates from infection diseases so no wonder Trump fired Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert, who had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics in 2018 then the entire pandemic response team was disbanded a month later.

People outside of the team may think a very low mortality rate is acceptable but the team won't accept that until it can find out the nature of the new virus.

It might be true that a new virus is just like a flu but the difference is: the team knows how the flu works and it has anti-viral medications to treat it and also, vaccine to prevent it and they know how many will die from it.

...the Tesla workforce is not compromised of elderly people with lung disease. Nor is their supply chain...

It's easy to think that some how the majority is not affect so maybe a vulnerable few is disposable but the CDC reminds us that:

"6 IN 10 Adults in the US have a chronic disease"

The first known Italian Covid-19 patient is a 38 year old man was admitted to the hospital in Codogno, Lombardy on 02/21/2020, not some vulnerable elderly person.

The first known Argentina's Covid-19 patient is 43-year-old man on 3/01/2020.

The first known New Jersey Covid-19 is a healthy, young, non-smoker, with no underlying illnesses 32-year-old Physician Assistant. He was first denied of the Covid-19 test because science is influenced by the conventional popular belief. Initial test denial was also happened to another in the 30's with no underlying illness who was sent home, got worse and was admitted in critical conditon.

Reactions: Florafauna
It's easy to think that some how the majority is not affect so maybe a vulnerable few is disposable but the CDC reminds us that:

"6 IN 10 Adults in the US have a chronic disease"

The first known Italian Covid-19 patient is a 38 year old man was admitted to the hospital in Codogno, Lombardy on 02/21/2020, not some vulnerable elderly person.

The first known Argentina's Covid-19 patient is 43-year-old man on 3/01/2020.

The first known New Jersey Covid-19 is a healthy, young, non-smoker, with no underlying illnesses 32-year-old Physician Assistant. He was first denied of the Covid-19 test because science is influenced by the conventional popular belief. Initial test denial was also happened to another in the 30's with no underlying illness who was sent home, got worse and was admitted in critical conditon.
A chronic diseases can be high cholesterol, high blood pressure or a variety of other conditions that would not put that person in the 'high risk' category for this virus. That's a very loosey goosey stat that can also be very misleading. These kinds of stats is what sends the population into a panic. That does nobody any good.

Lots of people see very low fatality rates from infection diseases so no wonder Trump fired Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert, who had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics in 2018 then the entire pandemic response team was disbanded a month later.

People outside of the team may think a very low mortality rate is acceptable but the team won't accept that until it can find out the nature of the new virus.

It might be true that a new virus is just like a flu but the difference is: the team knows how the flu works and it has anti-viral medications to treat it and also, vaccine to prevent it and they know how many will die from it.
Yeah, better to have 1,000 people die from the Swine Flu before you say or do anything.

And we have this claim about the Trump administration that's also proved false:
False Claim About CDC's Global Anti-Pandemic Work

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
Unintended consequences are the biggest risk, not the disease. We have never tried to return to the stone age as a planet to fight a disease. How many poor will die globally from a collapse of the economy? We could look towards the Great Depression for the answer. This won't affect the rich or even most the upper middle class.

It will be an interesting learning experience, and I estimate we will never do it again.

Yeah, better to have 1,000 people die from the Swine Flu before you say or do anything.

2009/2010 saw 575,000 deaths and one out of five humans on Earth infected. We did not shut borders and schools and factories and stores. The global economy was robust.

There are people getting very rich by shorting the market right now, so they will pump the media and raise the panic level as high as is possible.

Politicians do not care about the outcome. Their paychecks are not affected, and their place of employment has a captive customer base.

Unintended consequences are the biggest risk, not the disease. We have never tried to return to the stone age as a planet to fight a disease. How many poor will die globally from a collapse of the economy? We could look towards the Great Depression for the answer. This won't affect the rich or even most the upper middle class.

It will be an interesting learning experience, and I estimate we will never do it again.

2009/2010 saw 575,000 deaths and one out of five humans on Earth infected. We did not shut borders and schools and factories and stores. The global economy was robust.

There are people getting very rich by shorting the market right now, so they will pump the media and raise the panic level as high as is possible.

Politicians do not care about the outcome. Their paychecks are not affected, and their place of employment has a captive customer base.
Bingo! Couldn't agree more! After all, there are those that would absolutely love to see the economy collapse...just ask Bill Maher. ;)

Last edited:
We did not shut borders and schools and factories and stores. The global economy was robust...

The difference is the medical world was global, sharing knowledge without borders.

The viral test kit was quickly developed and distributed throughout the world, not just in the U.S.

Science requires data acquisition: Who's sick, who's not.

With a reliable data gathering system, there's no need to shutdown the whole economy indiscriminately.

So, why is it happening now?

Because many do not take the new viral infection seriously until it starts to get very close to home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7
Tam, I suppose you consider it wildly irresponsible to impose travel restrictions to slow the importation of the infected?
We should immediately incentives ill people to just take some Tylenol so they can come here and use our medical system, and infect other fliers?

The CDC recommends social distance of 6 feet apart from one person to the next. Current travel restrictions violate that guidance as travelers are crowded in a confined space at airports for hours, some report as long as 8 hours:

Coronavirus screenings jam US airports; ‘atrocious,’ a flyer says

RORDLT7OPFEVLOQWXMENFP5S4I.JPG

So, yes, it is very irresponsible.

The correct way is: Isolate those who are positive. If their status is unknown, then they should be in quarantine until the incubation period has passed.

Reactions: Seattle
The difference is the medical world was global, sharing knowledge without borders.

The viral test kit was quickly developed and distributed throughout the world, not just in the U.S.

Science requires data acquisition: Who's sick, who's not.

With a reliable data gathering system, there's no need to shutdown the whole economy indiscriminately.

So, why is it happening now?

Because many do not take the new viral infection seriously until it starts to get very close to home.
The whole damn country is nearly shut down. I think that’s taking it seriously. Further, there’s plenty of knowledge sharing that’s going on between countries.

The biggest issue was that China initially tried to hide it and, far more seriously, allowed the conditions that caused this virus (and past viruses) to flourish. That lost time in notifying other nations, as well as allowing the conditions for the virus to start, was incredibly dangerous for the rest of the world.

This will happen again unless China acts, but don’t bet on that happening.

The CDC recommends social distance of 6 feet apart from one person to the next. Current travel restrictions violate that guidance as travelers are crowded in a confined space at airports for hours, some report as long as 8 hours:

Coronavirus screenings jam US airports; ‘atrocious,’ a flyer says

RORDLT7OPFEVLOQWXMENFP5S4I.JPG

So, yes, it is very irresponsible.

The correct way is: Isolate those who are positive. If their status is unknown, then they should be in quarantine until the incubation period has passed.
Well Tam, we just need you on the medical team to get it all right. It’s reassuring to see how much more you know than all of those men & women with their fancy medical degrees. Is there anything you think this administration has done right? OY!

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7
COVID-19 is now part of our biosphere for the foreseeable future. We are unlikely to fix C19 for the next 100 years by tearing down civilization every time it hits.

We currently can't stop the century old H1N1 yet and we have cheap tests ($10) and a cheap vaccine ($10). There were still 20% infected in '09/10. And H1N1 will hit again. We should not burn down the house to kill the mice. What about C19+n?

Reactions: Ken7
...We currently can't stop the century old H1N1 yet and we have cheap tests ($10) and a cheap vaccine ($10). There were still 20% infected in '09/10. And H1N1 will hit again. We should not burn down the house to kill the mice. What about C19+n?

No we won't shutdown the whole economy with H1N1 currently because as pointed out, it's now a known agent with known test and known vaccine and known death rate.

...What about C19+n?

Covid-19 is special because most in the world like Elon Musk didn't appreciate its threat.

Iran didn't until its own leadership circle got infected and died.

Italian didn't until it was too late and they had no choice but to shutdown the whole economy.

The US didn't until Covid-19 positive people were allowed to be around the President.

The Covid-19 tests should have been ready prior to the first case in the US and we have lost precious time even after the first case since 01/21/2020.

Without the tracking tool to precisely pinpoint where the hot spots are, that is where we are now to start to catch up after losing almost 2 months.

Last edited:
^ Nonsense. The partnership between government & private industry, that was developed in record time, is unprecedented in this country’s history. Unprecedented. Production capability for medical testing is being ramped up in record time. 400,000 test kits are being manufactured every week and drive in testing will be available in numerous locations.

To say we lost 2 months is disingenuous and simply shows nothing more than your disdain for the President. He shut down travel from China almost immediately (that probably saved many lives) and was chastised by your side of the political spectrum for being xenophobic. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. It’s just amazing to watch the hypocrisy. I’m sure you were mute during the last administration when the President said nothing until 1,000 were dead.

Good grief, I can get this same nonsense listening to Rachel Madow and her never ending conspiracy theories.

Elon Musk thinks that the death rate should be much lower due to reporting errors but Iran is an eye opening example for underestimating the Covid-19 that now we can see newly-dug grave trenches about 100 yards total in length from the Satellite image on 2/24/2020:

Sick Politicians and a Lack of Urgency: Tracking Iran’s Response to Coronavirus

One thing I'd note is that oppressors like China and Iran can easily hide actual cases but cannot easily hide deaths. Many epidemiologists think that actual cases in China are in the six figures. Elsewhere, most people with mild symptoms don't bat an eye to it and some are asymptomatic. These cases are not tested, so the effect is probably similar. I'd say that the actual death rate is under 1%... certainly much lower than the 2-3% guesstimates that revolve around confirmed, not actual cases. So while I think proper hygiene methods must be employed to prevent spreading, I'm not too worried about the virus itself. I'd much rather contract COVID-19 than a severe flu strand, as a healthy, non-smoking person.

Put in perspective, approximately 19,000 have died just in the U.S. this season from the flu alone. At times, during a more severe flu season, 30,000 and more fatalities occur.

That's very true. And while COVID-19 (usually) has worse symptoms than the common flu, I can guarantee that 90% of the people who see this have had the flu. If someone credible were to tell us that 90% of the world will get COVID-19, we'd all be losing our sh*t.

I'm certainly not pleased that I'm paying full tuition at two colleges for what is now on-line classes. Argghh... I paid $XXX,XXX to put a kid through a college and now there is no graduation and she's in tears about it. She's worked her azz off for 16 years with a 3.9x UC gpa and will grad as Summa Cum Laude but get her diploma mail-order. There has not been a single case in her area, and it's low population density.

Congratulations on your daughter's achievement! I'd also be upset but what can you do, better than no classes at all.

Reactions: MXLRplus and Ken7
^ Nonsense. The partnership between government & private industry, that was developed in record time, is unprecedented in this country’s history. Unprecedented. Production capability for medical testing is being ramped up in record time. 400,000 test kits are being manufactured every week and drive in testing will be available in numerous locations.

To say we lost 2 months is disingenuous and simply shows nothing more than your disdain for the President. He shut down travel from China almost immediately (that probably saved many lives) and was chastised by your side of the political spectrum for being xenophobic. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. It’s just amazing to watch the hypocrisy. I’m sure you were mute during the last administration when the President said nothing until 1,000 were dead.

Good grief, I can get this same nonsense listening to Rachel Madow and her never ending conspiracy theories.

I agree that the China ban was a good idea - without getting too sidetracked in politics, I don't like Trump but will say that the China travel ban was one of his positive policies. But what ended up following is ridiculous. While Trump will increase testing in the USA, there are already over 3800 cases there. CDC has conducted 4000 tests and public labs have conducted 18,000. That number should be tripled, at least. The Rachel Maddow comment is funny but true :)

I agree that the China ban was a good idea - without getting too sidetracked in politics, I don't like Trump but will say that the China travel ban was one of his positive policies. But what ended up following is ridiculous. While Trump will increase testing in the USA, there are already over 3800 cases there. CDC has conducted 4000 tests and public labs have conducted 18,000. That number should be tripled, at least. The Rachel Maddow comment is funny but true :)
True, but remember the U.S. was never geared up for testing on a pandemic level. The CDC was never created to deal with cases of a magnitude we're currently seeing or will see in the U.S. We can argue this should have been within their capabilities, but it never has been regardless of prior administrations since their founding. As in so many areas, we learn from our mistakes. Let's hope the real culprit for this world-wide misery, China, will finally learn from their mistakes. Not likely, but we can hope.;)

Some elderly people who have their retirement savings in mutual funds won't have to worry about dying of C19. They will die from having to eat Chinese made dog food which is sometimes laced with toxins.

The poor won't have to worry about it because they will all move to California and go on welfare because it pays very well, and the real estate is suddenly cheap.