Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID-19 Impact on Tesla production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And they finally are shutting down the factory like every other non-essential business in Alameda County (aside from some parts operations). But rather than doing it immediately, they are maintaining operations until Tuesday. Not sure why they think that's ok. Its like they think public health should operate on a schedule that meets their convenience. Everything else had just a half day's warning or so to shut down.

Tesla temporarily suspending production at Bay Area factory amid coronavirus outbreak

Were there any other large scale vehicle manufacturers that were impacted by this order in Alameda County? No, so why would you think the shutdown process would be the same as other much smaller scale manufacturers? If Alameda County Sheriff has a problem with production continuing until March 23rd I am sure we will hear about it.

Reactions: willow_hiller
...Not sure why they think that's ok...

Some people have a different viewpoint:

Sen. Ron Johnson: We Shouldn’t Shut Down Economy Just Cause Up to 3.4 Percent of Infected Population Could Die

California Rep. Devin Nunes on coronavirus quarantine: Go to the pub

I don't think Tesla is shutting down because of changing its above viewpoint but because:

"continued operations in certain locations has caused challenges for our employees, their families and our suppliers."

3.4% mortality? Odd. We don't know how many people have it. Best guess is 14% of cases are reported (Substantial undocumented infection facilitates the rapid dissemination of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2))

So assuming their math is roughly correct and tonight's 11,000 reported cases yielded 168 deaths, that's 0.2% mortality.

Except that the 11,000 cases didn't yield 168 deaths. Most of the reported cases are recent and some will end up dying. You can only compare the number of recoveries with the number of deaths, not the number of active infections.

• Informative
Tonight, California Governor just issued a shelter-in-place executive order for the entire state.

It's similar to the 6-county shelter-in-place order except:

1) There's no legal penalties, fines or imprisonments.

Hopefully, peer pressure or social pressure is good enough as enforcement.

2) Elon Musk is right, Tesla is an essential business as the link is cited in the Governor's order:

Critical Manufacturing Sector | CISA

• Informative
Well, to be fair, you can eat meat and observe sanitary conditions that won't result in viruses of this nature. Unfortunately that's not what's happening in the Wuhan. BTW, I had one of those Impossible burgers at BK and thought it was actually pretty good. My wife didn't agree. ;)