Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some guidance on a Tesla S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I'm sensing a pretty nice value on a used Tesla S these days but need a few bits of guidance from the experts. I think the recell deal for a replacement battery makes the car a safe idea.

Must haves
I have a big family with two smaller kids who could sit in the 2 rear jump seats still for a few years. So the rear jump seats are a huge criteria for me.
I'd like to get something with one pedal driving, regen when you take your foot off the gas.
I'd like to get an AWD version because I hear the motors are less prone to break.
I'm not interested in autopilot

Nice to haves:
Free supercharging
19" wheels
new face vs. nose cone

I'm a technically savvy and handy guy so I can tolerate some fiddlyness etc.

Is there a particular year to look for?
Does tesla retrofit the jump seats (and bumper reinforcement) into Model Ss? Are these jump seats (and reinforcements) easy to find? I've never seen one.

Any other guidance you can offer to me?

Thank you

If you want free supercharging, you need a Feb 2016 or earlier. One that was never returned/sold back to Tesla.

Back in the day, I remember reading you could put the jump seats and crash bar into any car, but Tesla wasn’t selling the parts so you had to find them. I’d say pretty unlikely to find as spare parts these days.

Are you talking about the two rear-facing jump seats under the hatch in early Model S cars? Those were never a popular option and haven't been offered for many years. I don't know the last year they were offered but I'm pretty sure no Model S from 2016 onwards would have them. As far as I know there was never a retrofit option for these seats.

All Model S cars can be set to one-pedal driving.

Batteries on the first gen Model S cars are starting to degrade at this point. I'd look for a newer car, at least 2016 or later with the refresh nose.

If you want free supercharging, you need a Feb 2016 or earlier. One that was never returned/sold back to Tesla.
You mean ~Feb 2017, not 2016.

Beware that Tesla had a campaign for Lifetime Free Unlimited Supercharging owners to give up that perk.

An honest owner who would reveal whether the perk was taken and whether the current used car is no longer with Lifetime Free Unlimited Supercharging or not.
This promotion ended in June and every car that took advantage of it should have had the feature stripped by now so it should be pretty obvious to any buyer what they're getting. I can't imagine this is a significant concern in any sort of volume. We're collectively aware of one single instance where someone had this happen to them.

OP, the jump seats are a joke. They are not anywhere near as useful as it sounds like you think they're going to be in your head. Your kids will think it's a novelty for all of five minutes, right until they get hot because there's no HVAC back there whatsoever. I only suggest putting the kids back there that you don't like. That's what Elon did.

Hi guys, thanks for these excellent replies.

The one pedal drive answer is really helpful. I thought I'd have to go to the brake pedal for all regen. I don't mind that I have to tap the brake to stop the car.

I'm eventually going to be carrying several kids and they're small and I could rig up some little blower back there, or open up the exit vent as Elon said in an interview. I know they're a bit silly, but they'd be ok for awhile, in a pinch.

What do you guys think about my AWD question. Are those motors less failure prone?

Is anyone taking a leap on old teslas s's because of companies like recell and gunther(sp?) are popping up?

If you do buy a set of rear seats from someone else, there are a bunch of other bits you need to make sure you get. For instance, there is a latching point built into the back of the 2nd row fold-down rear seats that the rear facing seats latch into in the open position. There are also a couple of small steel brackets (like hoops) bolted to the body on each side of the rear facing seat bottoms that are also attachment points, so you'll need those too. I also think the carpet in the rear is different between cars with and without the seats, so you can swap the carpet pieces with the other car so you get the proper cut-out for the rear facing seats. It's all very doable, but just make sure you get all the extra parts or can buy them from a Tesla service center.

But as already mentioned, don't rely on the rear facing seats for much -- it's mostly a gimmick that gets old very fast.

Also, according to https://ev-cpo.com/ -- Tesla sold the rear facing seats up to and including 2018 in the Long Range and Long Range AWD models.

Reactions: Olle
My 2017 regen is not great, and no one pedal driving unless you want to crash, I think the newer one works better. Transferrable FUSC is only available before Feb/2017 production car but beware HV warranty is likely already expired, and the model before 2015/16 is prone to have moisture intrusion into the battery pack issue ($$$ to fix). I will probably look for a 2016 or newer, but I doubt you will be able to find one with rear jump seats. It looks like a trauma-for-life experience to me if it ever gets rear-ended. I think early model has more problems with DU, my RWD has been solid.

Hi everyone,
I'm sensing a pretty nice value on a used Tesla S these days but need a few bits of guidance from the experts. I think the recell deal for a replacement battery makes the car a safe idea.

Must haves
I have a big family with two smaller kids who could sit in the 2 rear jump seats still for a few years. So the rear jump seats are a huge criteria for me.
I'd like to get something with one pedal driving, regen when you take your foot off the gas.
I'd like to get an AWD version because I hear the motors are less prone to break.
I'm not interested in autopilot

Nice to haves:
Free supercharging
19" wheels
new face vs. nose cone

I'm a technically savvy and handy guy so I can tolerate some fiddlyness etc.

Is there a particular year to look for?
Does tesla retrofit the jump seats (and bumper reinforcement) into Model Ss? Are these jump seats (and reinforcements) easy to find? I've never seen one.

Any other guidance you can offer to me?

Thank you
Have you thought about a model Y 7 seater? Newer tech, Netflix/Disney etc, faster processing, new warranty, way more rear seat space, way easier to get in and out, larger trunk cavity for trips, wireless phone charging, faster Supercharging, door pockets, more cup holder space, better range…definitely more for families! Can also add a rear screen for kids (aftermarket) for $500 so they can also watch Disney/Netflix. The diff between a used MS and a new MY is astonishing buddy.

There are many current new inventory MY’s that it may also be more cost effective for you to simply buy an inventory model coming up end of quarter in the next 2-3 weeks and save a bundle with discounts and credits in your state.

A used MS in the 2016/2017 era is aging tech and the repair costs for a single door handle not coming out is insane. The jumper I agree is a gimick and hardly worth the addition. MY is a true functional 7 seater for small kids in comparison.

I’d go test drive a Y tbhonest…bring your kids and have them all sit …and you may be happily surprised that it fits your budget and lifestyle.

Last edited:
Have you thought about a model Y 7 seater? Newer tech, Netflix/Disney etc, faster processing, new warranty, way more rear seat space, way easier to get in and out, larger trunk cavity for trips, wireless phone charging, faster Supercharging, door pockets, more cup holder space, better range…definitely more for families! Can also add a rear screen for kids (aftermarket) for $500 so they can also watch Disney/Netflix. The diff between a used MS and a new MY is astonishing buddy.

There are many current new inventory MY’s that it may also be more cost effective for you to simply buy an inventory model coming up end of quarter in the next 2-3 weeks and save a bundle with discounts and credits in your state.

A used MS in the 2016/2017 era is aging tech and the repair costs for a single door handle not coming out is insane. The jumper I agree is a gimick and hardly worth the addition. MY is a true functional 7 seater for small kids in comparison.

I’d go test drive a Y tbhonest…bring your kids and have them all sit …and you may be happily surprised that it fits your budget and lifestyle.

This is great advice.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If you're going used. I'd look into a Model X for the extra room. The third row seating is much easier to access and there is more room than in the Y or the jump seating in the MS. I would think the pricing between a Model X and Model S is going to be very close. Best of luck in your search.

Excellent replies guys, really appreciate this. I was thinking about the Model Y and agree with all those points on the late model ness, etc.

Those Model Y back seats are really ridiculous (leg / foot room) but I recognize that the Model S's back seats are even more ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of those wing doors on the X, but like the size of the X.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Excellent replies guys, really appreciate this. I was thinking about the Model Y and agree with all those points on the late model ness, etc.

Those Model Y back seats are really ridiculous (leg / foot room) but I recognize that the Model S's back seats are even more ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of those wing doors on the X, but like the size of the X.
Fyi…In the 7 seater Y, the middle row adjusts forward as one wishes to give more space to the rear. Also, one can seat 6 and still have one side folded down for extra luggage/cargo.

Hey whatever you decide…welcome to the Tesla family :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight