Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID-19 Social Distancing Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I regularly travel from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale in my P3D-. The total trip is 260 miles and since I tend to have a lead foot and there's a good stretch of open road across alligator alley and the rest of I-75, I will charge about halfway. I also don't usually have a 100% charge at the start.

Enter: Corona Virus

I've been hardcore social distancing. Working from home... no-contact deliveries, I hadn't spoken face to face with another human in 10 days. And now, I'm driving to Fort Lauderdale. 310 miles of range is a bit of a farce at highway speeds, but checking ABRP and the in-car-nav, I'm thinking I can get there in one trip with a full charge and not have to stop anywhere along the way to charge.

260 miles, which is basically LA to Las Vegas.

One road. One Car. One Man. One cat. No stopping.

Get on the road and Rhapsody is telling me to charge at our usual spot. She doesn't know we're pushing it to the limit. A quick "remove charging stops" and we're set. Jump on the highway and traffic is a tenth of what it usually is during rush hour. I've got her set in Chill mode today just to take the top off of the acceleration and save those precious kWh.

Now the speed limit on I-75 in Florida is 70mph, so I'm trying to stay between 65-75 mph to not be a hindrance. I'm also constantly fighting my instincts to let her run. AP and NoA help. There's also a special person waiting for me in Ft. Lauderdale, so I'm "motivated".

It's also 85 degrees outside. So I've got the A/C running -- just comfortable, not meat locker -- which hits the juice too.

I hit my stride and am cruising outside along, looking for my secret weapon -- semi trucks. My goal is to cozy up behind a truck and use that sweet, sweet low pressure zone to cut down on my air resistance and my wh/mi. I jump from semi to box truck to large trailer... making some great time and also cutting 40 wh/mi off of my usual expense.

3 hours later, as i pass the toll into Alligator alley, I check my status.

There's a single super charger in Alligator alley. It's a 250kW charger about 2/3 of the way across. My energy graph says I should have about 10 miles left at my final destination on the other side. 10 miles. 3% battery. And it's getting dark.

10 miles of buffer... 9...8.... I slow down. 9 miles of buffer... back up to 10...11. I'm doing 65 now. The cooler air is heavier and there are no trucks to draft. I'm approaching Ochopee. The last chance to charge. I glance at my precious hand sanitizer...

"Not today," I say to my feline passenger and spur on.

My battery is single digits. 8%...7%...6%... past the toll plaza.... 5%... into Ft. Lauderdale. 4%... off the highway.

I'm inching along, still expecting to see the battery drop, but it's holding at 4%. Turning through the side streets... slow on the accelerator.. hard on the regen.

3% I'm on the road.....

I can see the house...

Turn into the driveway.

And Parked. 3% left.

Officially, 261.7 miles in 3:56 at an avg of 245 Wh/mi. I went from 97% bat to 3% battery. I got down to 200 Wh/mi for a good stretch there while drafting. Very happy with the range. Slight changes in speed, acceleration, temp and wind resistance really add up.

Odometer and Cat Tax

IMG_20200325_182558.jpg IMG_20200325_202951.jpg

261.7 miles at an average of 245 Wh/mi is impressive.

Best I've gotten in our 2015 P85D was 200 miles in a remote section of highway through Monument Valley between Page AZ and Blanding UT Superchargers at ~ 300 Wh/mi (down from my typical 350 Wh/mi average) in 2017. Had to drive conservatively the 1st half then able to gradually ramp up the speed as the Blanding Supercharger got nearer and we knew we'd make it. What made "range anxiety" high on this road trip leg was there was only ONE place to stop to get power between Page AZ and Blanding UT... an RV park.

Google Maps

Like the range of the newer Teslas.. but LOVE having no payments, the much larger Model S cargo capacity... and Ludicrous power. Waiting for FSD to happen and we'll upgrade our EPA range from 253 to 400+ miles. :D

There is a pandemic going on. Why are you traveling 260 miles to see someone? Sorry, but the person that I've been seeing is 30 miles away and we've agreed to not see each other until this is over. They mayor of London has already proclaimed it - if you want to see your gf/bf/whatever, move in with them. Otherwise, stay away.
So for want of a little nookie, you endangered countless lives.
Let's not even mention, supercharging is about as safe as it gets. Worried? Put a glove on before you touch the handle. Or use some sanitizer gel after you touch it.

There is a pandemic going on. Why are you traveling 260 miles to see someone? Sorry, but the person that I've been seeing is 30 miles away and we've agreed to not see each other until this is over. They mayor of London has already proclaimed it - if you want to see your gf/bf/whatever, move in with them. Otherwise, stay away.
So for want of a little nookie, you endangered countless lives.
Let's not even mention, supercharging is about as safe as it gets. Worried? Put a glove on before you touch the handle. Or use some sanitizer gel after you touch it.
my gf was tested last week for this *sugar* and I couldn't come down to support her through waiting 8 days for test results, you ignorant ass.

We've both literally not spoken face to face with a human being in 11 days. Go stick your flat head through a soft window.

This is the reason why we will never flatten the curve and why hospitals are having to decide between who lives and who dies. Because in 'Merica, some think the rules don't apply to them.

"Do:
Stay home
Avoid people outside your household

Don’t:
Leave the house except for essential activities"
If someone taking a car ride to get a breath of fresh air stops them from going stir crazy: I can live with that.

Maybe I’m biased but as someone with a formerly (and at an undetermined time again in the future) long highway commute, Driving is my *me* time where I can actually decompress and get some deep thoughts in.