Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID promo ? Has Tesla quietly brought back Free Supercharging & is it unlimited ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed a few used Model S's that say "Free Supercharging" in the the ad.

Is this a "COVID / reopening" promo to get rid of some old inventory ? and wondering if anyone know if it is FUSC, and if it's transferrable / or any more details about it ?

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.09.46 AM.png

free supercharging was brought back precovid, as early as late last year, though if you want to be technical, there was an autopsy done from someone in europe that died late last year, and they finally figured out the cause of death was covid19, so i guess its post covid if you're referring to when humans got infected

yes is FUSC, no its not transferable. you probably only just noticed it now

Reactions: LN1_Casey
The most important point here is that they only apply it to certain cars. It appears to be an effort to sell cars that have been around for a bit longer than others. Also tends to be on larger capacity battery used cars being sold. It's for the current owner only & doesn't transfer to the following owner though which is not the same as true FUSC and is a bummer. In reality, this just serves to further muddy the used car waters the way they remove, replace and modify this feature (and others) at the drop of a hat and seemingly for no reason most of the time.

I just noticed this too. Based on the screenshot, OP is referring to used inventory. New builds/inventory have had FUSC since August.

It seems selective which cars have it, and this change happened in the last day or 2. Since last July, the only used Models S to reliably have FUSD were the 100kwh models. After the change in the last day or 2, it appears they've added it primarily to facelift model s75/75d with Autopilot 1. The S75 with FSD/AP2 don't have it for the most part (only one example I found had it but it was already higher price than comps). I think they added this to boost the price of the AP1 cars so they can sell the older technogy at a higher comparable price to the newer cars.

Free supercharging would be Unlimited. I guarantee you that there is no wording anywhere that will say it's not transferrable, but leave it to Tesla to try and screw you on the future resale when it comes down to it.

Last edited:
The most important point here is that they only apply it to certain cars. It appears to be an effort to sell cars that have been around for a bit longer than others. Also tends to be on larger capacity battery used cars being sold. It's for the current owner only & doesn't transfer to the following owner though which is not the same as true FUSC and is a bummer. In reality, this just serves to further muddy the used car waters the way they remove, replace and modify this feature (and others) at the drop of a hat and seemingly for no reason most of the time.
It's simple, Elon has regrets about selling transferable FUSC. Selling non-transferable version allows him to offer it to new car owners (most of whom who will rarely use it) but prevents 10 year old Teslas being used as budget cars with free fuel. This is a pretty clear, non muddy approach - everyone can assume that if you're buying a Tesla, unless it's from Tesla and the bill of sale says it comes with FUSC, it does not have it, and if does, it's not transferable. Plain and simple.

What muddies the waters is the fact that they did sell transferable FUSC before but Elon is dead set of removing this feature from cars, by any means, including:
  • removing it from all cars sold through Tesla (sometimes sold with non-transferable FUSC, but transferable is always stripped)
  • re-interpreting what transferable means ("we didn't tell you how many times it is transferable, we meant once" - this is Tesla specialty, snowing people and then re-interpreting the language in the most narrow terms, like "your motor is capable of the advertised power, but not while in your car". I'm just waiting for "your car has the advertised range, we meant only on deliver day, warranty says it can drop up to 30% during your warranty, so 20% drop after a week is normal"
  • blatantly removing FUSC from cars sold through 3rd party, hoping that the multi-owner ownership chain will make it too complex to hold Tesla accountable (new owner would have to sue the dealer, dealer would have to sue the original owner, who would have a legal claim against Tesla - without all 3, Tesla is in the clear)
  • for people who have it, Tesla removed any mention of whether the FUSC is transferable or not (they used to have it on owner portal) - now transferable and non-transferable show up as exactly the same feature. Tesla is hoping the owner forgets, or subsequent owner would never even know that FUSC was transferable
If most of the above (all but the first one) sounds sleazy and desperate, it is. That is also how Elon runs the new, profitable Tesla. They handle warranty, parts and service in a similar fashion. What other automotive manufacturer charges you $200 for diagnosis of a problem because they cannot reproduce it, even if the owner brings in a video showing the problem occurring and the car is less than a year old (I overheard that conversation between an advisor and a Model 3 customer, while I was waiting for my Model S yellow screen "good will" fix, because it was my fault I exposed the screen to oxygen for few months, I guess they meant to put that warning in the manual but forgot).

Last edited:
They've been bringing back FUSC on used cars for about a year now. When they first brought it back to used cars it was only applied to almost-new Model S/X but it seems like they're creeping it down to slightly cheaper ones.

Basically my theory is they seem to only be applying it to cars that are expensive enough the the buyers aren't going to be wasting their time to go out of their way to supercharge instead of charge at home.

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
It's simple, Elon has regrets about selling transferable FUSC. Selling non-transferable version allows him to offer it to new car owners (most of whom who will rarely use it) but prevents 10 year old Teslas being used as budget cars with free fuel. This is a pretty clear, non muddy approach - everyone can assume that if you're buying a Tesla, unless it's from Tesla and the bill of sale says it comes with FUSC, it does not have it, and if does, it's not transferable. Plain and simple.

What muddies the waters is the fact that they did sell transferable FUSC before but Elon is dead set of removing this feature from cars, by any means, including:
haha tesla sucks. i just plunked down almost $70k for my model S about 6 months ago, but as soon as either my warranty expires or I find a car with just as long of a range with just as good of a drive unit, i'm out of here.