Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO $2500 Does not go towards Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MD500_Pilot

I fly because it releases my mind.....
Supporting Member
So I have a friend very interested in getting a CPO Model S. He found one that he liked, was going to put the $2,500 down on the car but then read it was non-refundable. He wanted to verify what the car had installed.

Anyway he called and they told him that the $2500 was a processing fee and NOT a deposit on the car and did not come off the cost of the car.

Anyone here buy a CPO and run into the same issue? Did your $2500 go towards the vehicle?

Thanks

So I have a friend very interested in getting a CPO Model S. He found one that he liked, was going to put the $2,500 down on the car but then read it was non-refundable. He wanted to verify what the car had installed.

Anyway he called and they told him that the $2500 was a processing fee and NOT a deposit on the car and did not come off the cost of the car.

Anyone here buy a CPO and run into the same issue? Did your $2500 go towards the vehicle?

Thanks

When I bought my CPO the $2,500 was not refundable but could be transferred to another vehicle within a short period of time after placing the order.

The $2,500 absolutely went towards the vehicle purchase price.

I find the idea of a $2500 "processing fee" absolutely hilarious.

But this is a great introduction to the world of Tesla, where information can vary widely depending on who you're talking to. TMC forums are a great resource for owners and potential owners. I'd encourage your friend to join or at least lurk lol

The lady that gave you that information is 100% incorrect. I picked up my CPO P90DL 3 days ago (11/29/2018) from SF (driving it back to FL, passing TX as I type) and the paperwork on my lap clearly shows the $2500 going towards the price of the car.

This was the same case on my first S which I leased, they also applied the down towards the vehicle.

Reactions: JPUConn
The deposit is applied towards the purchase of the car. At least that was my experience.

The taxes and title fees may exceed the $2500 deposit, however, so when all is said and done you probably still have to fork over a total amount that is at least as much as the listed sales price.

For instance:

Total Vehicle Price $ 50,800.00
Sales Tax $ 3,683.00
Plus Title Fee $ 29.25
---
Subtotal (2 plus 3) $ 54,512.25

Minus Deposit $ 2,500.00
---
Total Due $ 52,012.25

Anyone know if you cancel the order on a used/CPO, how long can you "hold" that deposit for to then apply to another CPO car? I'm wanting to cancel my current order (supposed to deliver tomorrow or next day) because there is another used one that popped up that fits my need much better. The Sales rep and is not responding to my text/VM/emails..

Anyone know if you cancel the order on a used/CPO, how long can you "hold" that deposit for to then apply to another CPO car? I'm wanting to cancel my current order (supposed to deliver tomorrow or next day) because there is another used one that popped up that fits my need much better. The Sales rep and is not responding to my text/VM/emails..

By the terms of the contract they are not required to return your deposit or roll it over to another vehicle. In practice, it seems to vary from transaction to transaction depending on the sales rep.