Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Autopilot w/ Convenience Features NOT Activated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. After 3 weeks, 2 elevation submittals, and finally setting a service appointment, on December 28th (the day before my service appointment) I got a phone message saying that they straightened everything out with engineering and the update was being pushed to my car. I went out to the garage to see a message that my "purchase" was successful. I guess they wrote off an upgrade or something.

Hi,

New to the website and love it!! Do all CPO Tesla's with the wording, "Autopilot with convenience features" have autopilot activated when purchased? Some people say it needs to have the Tech Package some say it has to say, "Tech Package with Autopilot". I call Tesla and they don't even know. The listings are very inconsistent in the wording of this. I just want to know if it says, "Autopilot with convenience features" that autopilot will be working when I buy the used car from Tesla. Can anyone confirm this?? Thanks.

Jae

Hi,

New to the website and love it!! Do all CPO Tesla's with the wording, "Autopilot with convenience features" have autopilot activated when purchased? Some people say it needs to have the Tech Package some say it has to say, "Tech Package with Autopilot". I call Tesla and they don't even know. The listings are very inconsistent in the wording of this. I just want to know if it says, "Autopilot with convenience features" that autopilot will be working when I buy the used car from Tesla. Can anyone confirm this?? Thanks.

These terms both mean the exact same thing:

"Autopilot with convenience features"
"Tech Package with Autopilot"

...That AP1 is activated/enabled in the car. When AP1 was first released, it was part of the "Tech" Package ("Tech Package with Autopilot")... then it was broken out to its own option ("Autopilot with convenience features")

AP1 gives you Traffic Aware Cruise Control, auto-lane change, lane keeping, and basic summon. AP1 is no longer in development like AP2 is. If you're looking for basic AP features, AP1 is plenty capable, but not "Full Self Driving" capable. For that, you'll need an AP2.x variant.

Last edited:
These terms both mean the exact same thing:

"Autopilot with convenience features"
"Tech Package with Autopilot"

...That AP1 is activated/enabled in the car. When AP1 was first released, it was part of the "Tech" Package ("Tech Package with Autopilot")... then it was broken out to its own option ("Autopilot with convenience features")

AP1 gives you Traffic Aware Cruise Control, auto-lane change, lane keeping, and basic summon. AP1 is no longer in development like AP2 is. If you're looking for basic AP features, AP1 is plenty capable, but not "Full Self Driving" capable. For that, you'll need an AP2.x variant.

Thank you for the info. I understand that the two terms mean the same thing but the issue I have is some of Tesla's CPO listings specifically say that you get the autopilot features and other listings do not. This is very confusing and I would like to know 100% that if a car has autopilot that it will be enabled and working when I buy the car. See attached screenshots of two different listings.

Attachments

• AP Image 1.jpg
    AP Image 1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 105
  • AP Image 2.jpg
    AP Image 2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 95
Ok, that car definitely has AP1. Here are the option codes (It has both option codes, actually):

DA02 Autopilot Convenience Features
TP02 Tech Package with Autopilot

I've just never see that additional text "Autopilot convenience features available through software updates" that makes it sound like it's an optional update.

Also, higher up in the option list on the Tesla webpage, it does say: "Autopilot Convenience Features"

Ok, that car definitely has AP1. Here are the option codes (It has both option codes, actually):

DA02 Autopilot Convenience Features
TP02 Tech Package with Autopilot

I've just never see that additional text "Autopilot convenience features available through software updates" that makes it sound like it's an optional update.

Also, higher up in the option list on the Tesla webpage, it does say: "Autopilot Convenience Features"

There are a lot of cars on their site that say that and I just want to know if the autopilot is going to be activated. Very frustrating and when Tesla reps don't even know the answer what do you do? It appears that different locations post different descriptions. You would think it would be uniform across the site. Thank you again for the info, if anyone else has any insight on this please post. Thanks.

Picked up my 2015 70D last week. It was listed as "Autopilot HW1.0 with convenience features"
However, on my way home from delivery, I noticed that autopilot was definitely NOT enabled.
I have since, returned twice to the Service center. On my last visit 3 days ago, they told me that they confirmed with the delivery team that I was definitely supposed to have autopilot enabled, but a "glitch" in their service side software was preventing them from sending the activation command to my car because it previously was not enabled. Said they would elevate the problem to engineering to try to get it fixed. So far nothing, but still holding out hope.

Anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?
View attachment 361653
I just picked my CPO 2016 MS last Saturday, facing same situation, called customer service three times, I was told $5K to enable rest of features and upgrade to AP2, went to local service center, they told me not every MS could be upgrade to AP2, also they don't know what should the AP1 features looks like, I should contact delivery team, I contacted delivery team, they said you should go to local service center, it could be fixed at there. I got totally confused. can I know what department you was contacted with? any phone number or email that I can get a person who know how to resolve this issue? Thank you

I just picked my CPO 2016 MS last Saturday, facing same situation, called customer service three times, I was told $5K to enable rest of features and upgrade to AP2, went to local service center, they told me not every MS could be upgrade to AP2, also they don't know what should the AP1 features looks like, I should contact delivery team, I contacted delivery team, they said you should go to local service center, it could be fixed at there. I got totally confused. can I know what department you was contacted with? any phone number or email that I can get a person who know how to resolve this issue? Thank you

Does your car have AP1 hardware or AP2 hardware? Because there's no way to "upgrade" from AP1 to AP2.

Look for the cameras in the B pillars and the rear facing side markers/turn signals. If there are cameras there, you have AP2.

I
I should have AP1, but I was told by Tesla chat guy that upgrading from AP1 to AP2 for $5K.

Sorry, but that's impossible. You were given bad, bad, information.

If you have AP1, and it's activated (you can do Traffic Aware Cruise Control and Lane Keeping) that's the end of the line.
If you have AP1 and it's not activated, you should be able to get it activated.

Does your car have AP1 hardware or AP2 hardware? Because there's no way to "upgrade" from AP1 to AP2.

Look for the cameras in the B pillars and the rear facing side markers/turn signals. If there are cameras there, you have AP2.
I copied chat script, you can see how Tesla chat agent selling AP2 for 5K on my car.

Attachments

• 20190429133546.jpg
    20190429133546.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 81
Ok, that's a confusing chat session.

AP1 can do these when activated: Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Lane Keeping, manual Lane change (you initiate it with turn signal), basic summon, and autopark.

AP2 is different hardware, but has different levels of AP Software: Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and/or Full Self Driving. (AP, EAP, and FSD) and can do all the things AP1 can do and more.

So you really have to figure out what hardware you have and then you can figure out what software they're trying to sell you.

You may have AP2 and they're activating AP, EAP, and/or FSD

But in no case whatsoever, can AP1 be upgraded to AP2.

AP1 can do these when activated: Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Lane Keeping, manual Lane change (you initiate it with turn signal), basic summon, and autopark.

AP2 is different hardware, but has different levels of AP Software: Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and/or Full Self Driving. (AP, EAP, and FSD) and can do all the things AP1 can do and more.

So you really have to figure out what hardware you have and then you can figure out what software they're trying to sell you.

I will let them activate my AP1 first, then I plan to give Tesla $5K to see how they gonna upgrade my car to AP2, the chat guy was also saying $5K includes full autopilot, I will keep chat script copy see what they will do.

Reviving an old thread because Tesla has changed how they list their used AP1 cars.

Some cars show "autopilot hardware" (5YJSA1S13FFP74786, 2015 Model S | Tesla) and some show as having "autopilot with convenience features" (5YJSA1S21FF096287, 2015 Model S | Tesla).

I can only guess that this means that some AP1 cars are being sold without the autopilot software enabled? I have also noticed that I can no longer filter for cars with autopilot. I don't know what their motivation would be to remove autopilot as a filter.

Can autopilot software be turned on OTA as long as the hardware is present? If so any idea how much? I've seen $5K floating around but is there anything official from Tesla on this topic?

Suppose that I could request a callback and then ask the SA but I trust this forum more than the SAs. I intend to purchase a used MS early next year as a second vehicle so it's more than just curiosity.