Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Autopilot w/ Convenience Features NOT Activated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Single Camera Model S - Should I have AP1 autopilot capabilities?
I recently bought a used 2015 85D. The car was advertised with traffic aware cruise control and lane assist - “Autopilot with convenience” features. Only after having the car for a couple of weeks did I try any of these features and realized it doesn’t have any of them. My Tesla APP shows no upgrade options and the dealership says they didn’t make up the features, they were based on the VIN of the car. Today I spoke to a Tesla sales person at a mall in NY, she said that TACC and Lane assist aren’t available unless the car has 8 cameras but this contradicts what I’ve read. Any ideas out there? Should i expect more from a 2015 85D?

AP1 cars do have the capability of TACC and autosteer. I believe that’s now referred to as “highway autopilot”. Sounds like it might not be enabled in your car. I don’t think you can buy AP1 autopilot features online any more, you might need a service visit.

What does your car show under controls -> software?

...The car was advertised with traffic aware cruise control and lane assist - “Autopilot with convenience” features...

Yes if you paid for AP1 Autopilot and no if you did not pay for AP1 Autopilot.

To find out why you don't have AP1 Autopilot:

Where did you get your car? Private sales, non-Tesla dealers, straight from Tesla website...

How do you prove that you paid for AP1 Autopilot?

If you got from private sales, please ask previous owner for the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". It would list whether the feature was paid or not.

If you got from non-dealer sales, please look up what the window sticker says and what the receipt says.

If you got from Tesla website, you should have a "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". It would list whether the feature was paid or not.

How do you prove that you paid for AP1 Autopilot?

If you got from private sales, please ask previous owner for the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". It would list whether the feature was paid or not.

If you got from non-dealer sales, please look up what the window sticker says and what the receipt says.

If you got from Tesla website, you should have a "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". It would list whether the feature was paid or not.

MVPA should not be the end-all-be-all, though Tesla will often call it out. It won't reflect any upgrades purchased during ownership. Tesla stole my ludicrous upgrade a couple months after I purchased it (from them) and they wouldn't reinstate it unless the feature was on the MVPA. Since the MVPA is just carried over from the original purchase in 2015, ludicrous didn't even exist at the time. Fortunately I had an email where I confirmed with the sales advisor that the car had ludicrous, and they finally reenabled the feature a couple days after I provided it.

Unfortunately in this era of OTA updates, things can be taken away just as easily as they are added, and there seems to be quite the trend of features disappearing. I suppose this is either to reduce the desirability of the used car market, and/or for Tesla to double dip in selling the same feature to more than one owner.

Reactions: Tam