Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cpo cars have no location now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. For MOST people CPO implies certain cosmetic refurbishments. This is how it is across the auto industry. The way Tesla sells cars w/o you even being able to see them in person in most cases this is a recipe for disaster if everyone is calling them CPO. The average consumer will be tricked into thinking that their car is going to be an actual CPO when it's not. Then, after they plunk down their $70k, they're told by Tesla that their car is used and they don't do any cosmetic repairs or refurbishments all because a handful of people on an internet forum insisted in calling them "CPO" to save a few key strokes. This is why some people here "have a fit" because it's incorrect and it could cost someone big time. People come here to research and find correct information, not misinformation.

So you think MOST people care more about the cosmetic standard than the extended warranty? People should feel free to chime in, but I think warranty is way more important. If purchased separately a warranty is $4k+ and can save an owner many thousands of dollars and give peace of mind. If cosmetics are important, you can always call and ask for more photos.

The problem here is that WE all don't. You and I may know what the person meant but others reading it may not have any clue. That's the point. Why does it require an act of Congress to use proper terminology to avoid confusion?

Actually using the term CPO helps minimize confusion. Then we know it is purchased used from Tesla, not some other dealer or private party.

Reactions: erik_k and AMPd
Not true. For MOST people CPO implies certain cosmetic refurbishments. This is how it is across the auto industry. The way Tesla sells cars w/o you even being able to see them in person in most cases this is a recipe for disaster if everyone is calling them CPO. The average consumer will be tricked into thinking that their car is going to be an actual CPO when it's not. Then, after they plunk down their $70k, they're told by Tesla that their car is used and they don't do any cosmetic repairs or refurbishments all because a handful of people on an internet forum insisted in calling them "CPO" to save a few key strokes. This is why some people here "have a fit" because it's incorrect and it could cost someone big time. People come here to research and find correct information, not misinformation.
I have purchased 12 cars and never once heard that CPO implies cosmetic refurbishing (other than Tesla). My last Porsche CPO included exactly zero cosmetic refurbishing. All CPO means is that the car was fully inspected, any repair work was done and it includes extra warranty. They do check panel paint to ensure there was no unreported bodywork done. My Cayenne had several cosmetic imperfections and exactly zero of them were repaired by the CPO program. They detailed the car before pickup, but all dealerships do this anyways.

All CPO means to me is that the car has been fully inspected, deemed 100% operational, and includes an extended CPO warranty.

Tesla doesn't refer to it as CPO but it's a CPO program for sure.

If anything, Tesla's CPO program is more CPO than others - they ensure at least 2 more years of warranty, 4 in some cases. Most other manufacturers just add 1 year in addition to the factory warranty.

Tesla's program isn't inferior to other brands' on paper. It's inferior because Tesla sucks at actually running it, in certain points almost maliciously.

- They report all cars as having maximum range, even though the battery might have 80,000 miles in it and a greatly reduced range. To anyone who'll immediately jump and say 'bUt gaS CaRs decrease in MPG over time too should they report it too': Measuring and reporting the mileage of individual gas cars by a dealer is impossible because it's done by the EPA. All Tesla has to do however is to charge the car and just LOOK at the screen of the car, that's it. Second, gas cars, esp. premium ones don't live and die by their mileage EV's do. Remember that for a Model S, the price difference between shorter and longer ranges (10-20% range difference) with everything else being equal could be as much as TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

- They report all cars as having maximum performance EVEN THOUGH IT MEANS THEY'RE REPORTING NUMBERS OF MORE RECENT CARS. They report all P90DL's as having 2.6 second 0-60, even though that's only possible for later P90DL's with the V3 battery and the 2015 P90DL's they sell could barely ever do 3.0. This is exactly the same as, say, Audi upgrading the engines of R8 in year 2016 but then advertising the prior models (2015 and earlier) as having the newer, better engine with hugely increased HP even though the old cars aren't capable of it.

- Your deposit that you are required to put down is not refundable (I know they make a lot of exceptions)

- They've recently started posting pictures of the car which is a good thing but that's literally all you have to go by before putting down your order. It's impossible to get more information.

- When you arrive they try to make you sign the papers before you ever see the car, unless you're like "wtf, no"

- The cars are not in very good shape generally

So you think MOST people care more about the cosmetic standard than the extended warranty? People should feel free to chime in, but I think warranty is way more important. If purchased separately a warranty is $4k+ and can save an owner many thousands of dollars and give peace of mind. If cosmetics are important, you can always call and ask for more photos.
What people care about most has nothing to do with using proper terminology. It's a Tesla used car & not a CPO. End of story.

Actually using the term CPO helps minimize confusion. Then we know it is purchased used from Tesla, not some other dealer or private party.
There have been plenty of acronyms thrown out that will more accurately describe what these cars are by others. I don't have a horse in that race so I don't really care what acronym people add to the annoying alphabet soup that is Tesla conversation. Seriously, we're so hell-bent on saving 6 key strokes these days that it's absurd. That's all the insistence on incorrectly using the term "CPO" for a non CPO car is ultimately. Laziness. There's no other explanation.

Tesla doesn't refer to it as CPO but it's a CPO program for sure.

blah blah blah

Then why doesn't Tesla call them CPO?

Simple answer: Because they're not CPO.

Longer answer: Because there is zero cosmetic repair or refurbishment consideration. None. You're buying a used car with an extended warranty. That's all they are and people who are seeking this information need to know that. Continually referring them incorrectly as CPO cars serves only to confuse those who are newly in the market thinking they're CPO cars when they aren't.

A certified pre-owned car or CPO is a type of used car.

Most often late-model, they differ from other used cars by having been inspected, refurbished, and certified by a manufacturer or other certifying authority. They also typically include an extended warranty, special financing, and additional benefits.

Certified Pre-Owned - Wikipedia
The important step that was omitted when they officially discontinued the CPO program has been highlighted in the quote above. This is the meat and potatoes of what most consider a CPO program to be and w/o it they're simple used cars with extended warranties so this is why it's important we not call ALL used cars CPOs because somewhere out there is someone reading this pricing used cars from Tesla that fully believes they can buy a $80k car sight unseen because Tesla will inspect the car and repair or refurbish any cosmetic issues they find afterwards and make it right. Meanwhile Tesla is saying this isn't the case. Most of us have seen the condition some of these cars are in. This is recipe for disaster that's easily avoided.

This is exactly why continuing to erroneously call them CPO does a tremendous disservice to anyone newly in the market for a used Tesla and goes far deeper than a simple semantics difference between those who already know the difference. Using proper terminology isn't difficult and goes a long way to making these conversations more palatable for those not as versed as we consider ourselves to be.

I am kinda glad I am not related to you, honestly. Discussing any single topic with you at family gatherings has to be an absolute nightmare.

Do you understand the word “nuance”? Or the word context? Or just plain normal human conversations where words and expressions are thrown around in different ways and people just kind of understand what the other person meant even though the word they used wasn’t 100% fitting and it didn’t have to be 100% accurate?

If someone refers to Tesla cars as CPOs, it doesn’t necessarily mean they naively assume it’s the same as Audi CPO. Does it matter how we call it? We all know what we mean here and if someone doesn’t, it will be obvious. And for lord’s sake, it’s way easier to type CPO than pre-owned or preowned or whatever. It’s even easier to pronounce. To hell with this constant terror of insisting on literal words and meanings coming from you.

CPO on this forum is more like a slang word for Tesla used cars these days and we all roll with it. What’s the problem?

Should we rename Tesla Motors Club to Tesla Online Forum just because Tesla isn’t really “motors” anymore and club isn’t the word that really describes this place? The hell...
The more he posts, the more this post rings true.

Then why doesn't Tesla call them CPO?

Simple answer: Because they're not CPO.

Longer answer: Because there is zero cosmetic repair or refurbishment consideration. None. You're buying a used car with an extended warranty. That's all they are and people who are seeking this information need to know that. Continually referring them incorrectly as CPO cars serves only to confuse those who are newly in the market thinking they're CPO cars when they aren't.

So your inexplicably passionate crusade against the term CPO only stems from there not being any COSMETIC repair / refurbishment attached to it?

... does any car company promise you a cosmetically flawless car with their CPO program? I know for a fact that Audi and Porsche don't. (I am almost sure the others don't, either, but those two are enough to prove my point.) And yet they all call their programs CPO? Even though it doesn't fit the standards of some obnoxious person from the internet? The heresy.

Look at Audi's CPO checklist. https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/CPO/2018-09-Audi-CPO-Inspection-Cert-Checklist-V2.pdf

There isn't even a section named "exterior". Audi guarantees you nothing.

CPO means the following things.

1. Everything has been inspected and found to be in working order.
2. The drivetrain/internals of the car haven't seen considerable amounts of stress and would not be expected to suddenly give up.
3. Consumed stuff like the battery, brakes, oil, tire tread, etc. are all acceptable levels (not necessarily new)
4. The vehicle has at least 1 year of bumper to bumper warranty.
5. It's not a 3rd party dealer selling the car.

Tesla promises all of those things. It is a CPO program. They certify that the vehicle has undergone inspection and has been found to be in working order - that is your C. They're all pre owned cars so that's your PO. There you go! It's CPO. I don't care what they call it. It's a CPO program. We good?

The funny thing in all of this is that Elon just didn't like the "CPO" acronym and in particular that the term "pre-owned" is fluffy marketing-jargon when we can just use the more simple term "used" instead. It actually had nothing to do with the "certified" part. He'd probably OK with "Certified Used" cars. :)

See: Acronyms Seriously Suck - Elon Musk
I feel like you have a vested interest in the CPO name :)

I’m taking the underdog side and agreeing that the CPO name and Elon’s tweet to switch to used was as the same time that a few customers received piss poor condition vehicles and the CPO program had included cosmetic refurbishing (my 2013 CPO was restored to like new in 2016). These made the known press sites and an easy and cost saving fix was to cut the reconditioning all together. It also lined up well with a wave of lease returns about to flood in.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to shop around for an extended warranty car from tesla? Call fremeont sales office? Any one know how to circumvent the $2000 fee? I was looking forward to taking a trip to grab a car and saving some cash

CPO doesnt mean cosmetic refurbishment in any brand.

Incorrect. Porsche specifically includes cosmetics, here's a quote from the Porsche CPO brochure which is available on their website:

"It begins when your dealer selects a Porsche that meets the standard for the CPO program. The vehicle then undergoes a rigorous 111-point mechanical and cosmetic inspection performed by a factory-trained Porsche technician.

Then the vehicle is reconditioned to our meticulous mechanical and cosmetic standards. Any necessary repairs are made using only Genuine Porsche Parts. That means you can rest assured that your vehicle is 100 percent pure Porsche.

Then and only then do we grant it the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned seal and back it up with a Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty."