Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO facelifted volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has insight as to CPO stock volume and it's normal cycle. I've been passively watching for a number of months now in anticipation of a P90D purchase. However, ever since the new year, the volume of facelifted P90D's has been very low. I know the exact configuration I am looking for and nothing has matched up for a few months now (wish I would have pulled the trigger.....)

So the question comes down to, is there an impending lease flood or should I broaden my search to third party and private sales? I did find a couple of exact matches this way, and now with the option of getting X-Care, third party is a little more palatable. Thoughts?

I read a few times this conspiracy theory that Tesla is holding onto some of those P90D facelifted returns to keep demand of the post facelifted models up. The first time I read this, I thought they were joking or being sarcastic. But then I read it again on another thread.

Not sure if there's any truth to it, as it doesn't make sense to me.

I was in your shoes the past 2 weeks after my P85 was totaled. Wanted to upgrade to a P90D with new front facia. They're a huge whack-a-mole. I found 2 black ones for low $6xxxxx, as I was browsing the pictures, they were gone! I eventually ordered one from Carvana just to find out 2 days before delivery they lost the keys and cannot deliver. Jumped up that very second and found a silver one for $62k and put the deposit immediately LOL.

My suggestion is to keep refreshing that inventory list every 2 hours and jump on the first one that catches your eye- deposits are transferrable anyways ;)

I have been following P90D stock (facelift only) for over 8 months and I have also noticed that the availability of these cars is nearly non-existent now. However, 8 months ago, there were TONS of them available as CPOs. I also think that Tesla is holding them to flush out stock of pre-facelift cars.

Did exactly that a few weeks ago. My main issue is the majority of all cpo’s are lacking the sub zero package. As of last night. There are 8 total P models, 4 of them 90’s, only one 90 had the sub zero, and it’s the wrong color ☹️

Only thing I can see regarding withholding stock is it helps them retain value. If Tesla can control the product, they can raise demand.

I also think that Tesla is holding them to flush out stock of pre-facelift cars.

Yes, heard/read this here before. But I'm really puzzled on why? I think the guys that want the facelifted look, will wait for them. Why not offer them now. The pricing differences (to me) already make choosing hard. I mean, I started off by looking at 85D, then for a lil more, I can get a 90D, or even a P85D. Oh well, for a little more I can get a P90DL....might as well throw in a lil more and get a facelifted P90DL. Finally, started seeing some of the amazing deals on P100D's people were getting here. Now I'm looking at cars twice my original budget. Thanks a lot Tesla! jk Anyways, just thinking out loud. Wifes rubbing off on me.

Only thing I can see regarding withholding stock is it helps them retain value. If Tesla can control the product, they can raise demand.

I can see that. I wonder if anyone has seen this happen? Returned their lease to Tesla, and then no movement on that car? I'm sure CarFax would show new ownership if someone has purchased or if it was auctioned off. Again, just thinking out loud.

Yes, heard/read this here before. But I'm really puzzled on why? I think the guys that want the facelifted look, will wait for them. Why not offer them now. The pricing differences (to me) already make choosing hard. I mean, I started off by looking at 85D, then for a lil more, I can get a 90D, or even a P85D. Oh well, for a little more I can get a P90DL....might as well throw in a lil more and get a facelifted P90DL. Finally, started seeing some of the amazing deals on P100D's people were getting here. Now I'm looking at cars twice my original budget. Thanks a lot Tesla! jk Anyways, just thinking out loud. Wifes rubbing off on me.

Can't tell you how many times I've just started looking at inventory 100D's just because they are in stock. They have all the options I'm looking for, plus can find in the color I'm after.

A couple of quick points to make... Firstly, the term "CPO" has been EOL for months now so we really should refer to these as used cars since Tesla went to lengths to expunge the term CPO from all of it's websites. I don't want newly interested shoppers reading these forums to confuse Tesla's used car offerings with what they would find as a CPO from other manufacturers. Not a huge deal but I think we'd be better off long-term transitioning from referring to these used cars as CPO's as CPO's they are not.

Secondly, I have also been watching the used (since they were called CPO's in fact) offerings from Tesla since the middle of last year. I even commented in other threads how the overall # of used Model S cars available has been in decline and quite drastically as of late. Many had various theories but my guess is that the "solution" to the nightmares people have been experiencing (I have had all of the reported problems across three separate transactions over 6 months through Tesla) is to just no longer offer used Teslas.

Personally, I think that's a terrible idea and there's boat loads of profit to be realized from used car sales if it's managed properly but right now, Tesla needs to think of their reputation and name first and foremost. A knee-jerk reaction to people questioning the stability at the highest level is to simply cut out what is probably their largest source of negativity and resources. I have a feeling that in the months to come we'll see an uptick in the number of Model S cars at auction and being sold at traditional dealerships.

I pulled the trigger on a car I had my eye on for some time that was perfect for me but I was waiting for the price to come down to a magic number. I missed out on several cars playing this game but it finally paid off... and not a moment too soon as I've noticed fewer and fewer cars available that match my criteria even in the weeks since I placed the deposit on the car I took delivery of late last night.

I really don't think they're intentionally holding inventory to try to increase the resale value of a select few nor do I think they're trying to manipulate quarterly cash #'s as others have postulated. If anyone has seen what it costs to keep used cars on hand it's alarming and the LAST thing I've ever seen any used car dealership do is try to sit on cars longer. They'd be out of business in short order. Money isn't free and when you're talking thousands of $50k cars (avg) sitting around not for sale that's a massive cost that compounds daily.

A couple of quick points to make... Firstly, the term "CPO" has been EOL for months now so we really should refer to these as used cars since Tesla went to lengths to expunge the term CPO from all of it's websites. I don't want newly interested shoppers reading these forums to confuse Tesla's used car offerings with what they would find as a CPO from other manufacturers. Not a huge deal but I think we'd be better off long-term transitioning from referring to these used cars as CPO's as CPO's they are not.

Completely agree, but in this case the use of the term CPO is simply to designate used from Tesla. As my OP was regarding thoughts on Tesla inventory vs 3rd party. Maybe we should use TIPO instead? Tesla Inspected Pre-Owned

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Completely agree, but in this case the use of the term CPO is simply to designate used from Tesla. As my OP was regarding thoughts on Tesla inventory vs 3rd party. Maybe we should use TIPO instead? Tesla Inspected Pre-Owned
Works for me if we can get it to catch on. It's a more accurate descriptor and could save a fair bit of confusion moving forward.

(realistically they don't actually inspect jack snap in most all cases but that's a conversation for another day:D)

:D I here that. I started my initial search way back when it was a true CPO program. Wasn't ready to pull the trigger at that time and was really let down when it went away.

Now that it is no longer, something like this Model S / 2016 / Red - 28d9f | Only Used Tesla is exactly what I'm looking for and much more enticing. Just need to do some more research in X-Care
We got a couple of the CPO cars and just picked up another TIPO last night that is quite similar to your P90D only a P85D and much, much less expensive. ;-) Same process and same warranty as the CPO it's just that now the term doesn't imply any reconditioning has been done cosmetically the way other manufacturers approach CPO vehicles. So it still exists as it always did just with a different label so buyers don't show up assuming a car that looks perfectly new for half price of what it would be if it was indeed new.