Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO vs. Non CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mikeisnomech

Where is that chart from?

tesla-info.com, on the detail page for every car they show a similar chart for that model. They're also the only site I've found that lists both Tesla Used/CPO and used not from Tesla. It would be cool if you could click an individual dot and it take you to that car but I guess you can't have everything.

I think most would accept that buying from Tesla has the warranty advantage whether you call it "CPO" or not. I think we know whats broadly meant.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Interesting, I wonder why?
I assume because other manufacturers use the term CPO to label cars that they recondition and certify that they've been inspected and meet certain higher qualifications. Tesla was been long criticized for selling cars labeled CPO that have damage and other cosmetic issues that other manufacturers would remedy prior to certifying. My guess is that after enough complains they decided to simply drop the name so nobody can imply they've been reconditioned. The actual used car warranty remains the same nearly word for word aside from the intentional omission of all previous mentions to the term "CPO"

tesla-info.com, on the detail page for every car they show a similar chart for that model. They're also the only site I've found that lists both Tesla Used/CPO and used not from Tesla. It would be cool if you could click an individual dot and it take you to that car but I guess you can't have everything.

I think most would accept that buying from Tesla has the warranty advantage whether you call it "CPO" or not. I think we know whats broadly meant.
It's not called CPO so it's incorrect to keep calling it such as many get the wrong impression as to what this entails.

• Disagree
Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I bought a CPO and considered going thru a third party.

The 4 year Bumper to Bumper warranty was what sold me on a CPO.

You can’t purchase the Tesla extended warranty if you buy from a 3rd party.

The MCU is very expensive, door handles are another expensive part to replace (if you go thru Tesla). Having that peace of mind was worth the hassle of going thru the CPO process.

3rd party pricing was also higher than the CPO pricing when I was looking (Aug 2018)

The CPO process is a pain but in the end I was happy with my car.

You actually can. We are the only 3rd party warranty that can be purchased for Tesla's that works around Tesla Service/Mobile Service

Mirrors Tesla's ESA Coverage
$100 Deductible
24 Hour Roadside
Rental
Trip Interruption

We are partnering up with dealers around the country (that sell Tesla's) so they can provide X-Care with the transaction. If you are looking at a car with a dealer that isn't part of our network, then you can get it directly from us.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Reactions: PhilDavid
It's not called CPO so it's incorrect to keep calling it such as many get the wrong impression as to what this entails.

The important thing about buying a CPO from Tesla is to make sure the CPO cars is in good condition and not damaged. :p:D

Lots of people on the forum have bought CPO cars in great condition and from what I have seen Tesla has made changes to deliver cars in better condition that they used to.

It's great that the X-care warranty is now available for Tesla cars because you can get a great deal on a CPO Tesla with 2 year warranty and then add X-Care to increase the warranty duration.

• Love
Reactions: XCare EV
Reading all the responses from people purchasing a Tesla whether it be a CPO car or new is pretty scary. You find nightmares in new or used purchases and on the other hand, some people have had great experiences. It's very concerning to someone like me contemplating buying a Tesla. I've looked around and I'm not positive what the 4 year CPO warranty covers. Is it a bumper to bumper? Does anyone know what is excluded?
I just started this process today as I found a 2016 85D that looks decent. It has a couple of scratches, but overall seems to be in very good condition. The warranty that Tesla provides is a full bumper to bumper warranty (4 years/80k km) that is exactly the same as a new car warranty. In my specific case the car has 53K km on it, so I'm good till 133K km or when it turns 7 years old in 2023. The warranty that Tesla provides almost makes the decision a no-brainer.

I just started this process today as I found a 2016 85D that looks decent. It has a couple of scratches, but overall seems to be in very good condition. The warranty that Tesla provides is a full bumper to bumper warranty (4 years/80k km) that is exactly the same as a new car warranty. In my specific case the car has 53K km on it, so I'm good till 133K km or when it turns 7 years old in 2023. The warranty that Tesla provides almost makes the decision a no-brainer.

That’s the first time I heard that the 4 year warranty on a “cpo” car to be bumper to bumper. I agree that is a big game changer. I just wish the pictures they send you were better or if you could at least travel someplace to see the car. Everything looks different in person.

Reactions: Denila
That’s the first time I heard that the 4 year warranty on a “cpo” car to be bumper to bumper. I agree that is a big game changer. I just wish the pictures they send you were better or if you could at least travel someplace to see the car. Everything looks different in person.
It depends on the car. Used cars sold by Tesla have EITHER a 4yr/50k mile OR 2yr/up to 100k odo warranty. The car has to be received by Tesla with under 50k miles on the odometer and less than 4 years from in-service date to qualify for the 4yr/50k mile version. Those that are over 4 years old and over 50k on the odometer are given a 2yr or up to 100k on the odometer warranty. Each listing will say at the bottom under the stock photos what version of the warranty it includes. This is why it's SO important to save a screen capture of listings you're interested in owning. You'll also get emails with some of this information but it's important for you to have proof of what you bought in case there is ever a discrepancy.