Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crack in pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Just noticed two small cracks within the back half of my P3D+ pano roof (Sept. 18 delivery). You can’t feel the cracks as they are within the glass it appears (can’t feel it from inside or out when touching). Obviously, and especially given location, it’s not resulting from a rock impact. See attached photo. Anyone else? NP

Attachments

• 423562AC-1D6F-4E0B-AA9A-C1182F753477.jpeg
    423562AC-1D6F-4E0B-AA9A-C1182F753477.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 37C593B3-BA71-451B-BA07-578708809983.jpeg
    37C593B3-BA71-451B-BA07-578708809983.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 32808FAC-2CA0-4899-B7CC-5B2CAD7E3AB2.jpeg
    32808FAC-2CA0-4899-B7CC-5B2CAD7E3AB2.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 124
I think you’d have a hard time proving that’s a design issue. Seems a bit of a peculiar place to crack. Maybe someone hit it from inside? Or maybe something hit it from outside? You wouldn’t have to feel anything for it to be impact damage either.

On my old STI, I was driving under a tree and some pine cone or something fell out of it and dented my roof, for example. I was stopped at a stop light when it happened. Clunk! Wasn’t thrilled...

I think you’d have a hard time proving that’s a design issue. Seems a bit of a peculiar place to crack. Maybe someone hit it from inside? Or maybe something hit it from outside? You wouldn’t have to feel anything for it to be impact damage either.

On my old STI, I was driving under a tree and some pine cone or something fell out of it and dented my roof, for example. I was stopped at a stop light when it happened. Clunk! Wasn’t thrilled...

Yeah but there is no sign of impact. Nor can you feel anything. An impact would have left an outside mark. Ian’s the lines are perfectly matched and symmetrical. Seems like an odd coincidence. No?

Yeah but there is no sign of impact. Nor can you feel anything. An impact would have left an outside mark. Ian’s the lines are perfectly matched and symmetrical. Seems like an odd coincidence. No?

I agree with your assessment that it's not caused by an impact but rather by manufacturer's defect.

The defect spreads out from the heating element: some look like a line, others look like small round bubbles.

Notice that I am no expert and the last time, Tesla didn't agree with my assessment either.

You might need to go to a Tesla approved body shop and ask for an expert opinion in writing and show that to Tesla.

If that doesn't work, bring your proof (Consumer Reports, body shop expert letter) to small claim court.

Good luck again!

I have actually. Several times over the winter months. But just noticed now.

So I just got my Model 3 back from the service center. They replaced the back half pano roof glass, no questions asked. No charge. Said it was a known defect. They did a good job. Can’t tell it’s been replaced. They did induce two very small tears in the lining near the glass in the process, but I think I will leave it alone for fear of fixing it creating other issues. See attached. Sometimes it’s better to leave well enough alone. Plus, when you don’t zoom in on it with a camera, it’s not really noticeable. Overall though, I’m pretty amazed at the quality of the service I got. Especially when you consider that the service center was overwhelmed. These guys work hard!

Attachments

• A7DA76B6-4B39-4D34-9E9E-12DE08199A31.jpeg
    A7DA76B6-4B39-4D34-9E9E-12DE08199A31.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 78
Hey all. Just noticed two small cracks within the back half of my P3D+ pano roof (Sept. 18 delivery). You can’t feel the cracks as they are within the glass it appears (can’t feel it from inside or out when touching). Obviously, and especially given location, it’s not resulting from a rock impact. See attached photo. Anyone else? NP

Wow, that’s a really strange one. I doubt you’ll have issue under warranty. But it may be a long wait.

Some owner posted that someone from a Tesla said the robots set the glass in too hard. Your failure makes me think it’s defective glass, defective design, to thin or something.

In some ways I hope the back log is due to Tesla realizing there is a design issue or QA issue on the glass itself and fixing it.

Wow, that’s a really strange one. I doubt you’ll have issue under warranty. But it may be a long wait.

Some owner posted that someone from a Tesla said the robots set the glass in too hard. Your failure makes me think it’s defective glass, defective design, to thin or something.

In some ways I hope the back log is due to Tesla realizing there is a design issue or QA issue on the glass itself and fixing it.

See my update later in the thread. They replaced rapidly, no questions asked.