Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked my rear windshield (and possibly roof), cost of repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. My 1 week old 2018 Model S and I just got the tint done today too. Something got lodged between the roof and the trunk and I didn't realize when I pressed the button to close the trunk. I'm going to replace the trunk glass, but do I need to replace the glass roof too? I'm not sure if the crack is going to get bigger or if its ok to just leave it.

Does anyone know the cost of replaceing the trunk glass? what about the roof glass?

feeling all kinds of sadness right now.

EfT0A9T.jpg

I believe I saw a post where someone paid 700 dollars for the rear glass, just for the glass.

As for the roof it’s around 1100 all in according to this thread
Rock chip in all glass roof

Sounds like it’ll be cheaper to go through insurance.

thanks for that link. was trying to do as many searches as I can, I did also find a post of someone saying $700 for the rear glass.

Now as for the roof, I wonder if the crack is going to expand if I don't do anything to it. Its located on the edge right where the seal is, which means this part should be stronger than if i had a crack in the middle of the glass

thanks for that link. was trying to do as many searches as I can, I did also find a post of someone saying $700 for the rear glass.

Now as for the roof, I wonder if the crack is going to expand if I don't do anything to it. Its located on the edge right where the seal is, which means this part should be stronger than if i had a crack in the middle of the glass
If it were me and I wasn’t going through insurance I’d just leave it and see where it goes. After all it’s laminated glass unlike the back window, so there’s no danger of it shattering.

Of course given that it is the entire roof, the glass can't be assumed to be structurally sound anymore and may not provide adequate protection in a rollover. Was it me, I 'd bite the bullet and have them both replaced at a Tesla approved Body shop or service center. I wouldn't even put in an insurance claim for what will probably be a $2000 bill....

Of course given that it is the entire roof, the glass can't be assumed to be structurally sound anymore and may not provide adequate protection in a rollover. Was it me, I 'd bite the bullet and have them both replaced at a Tesla approved Body shop or service center. I wouldn't even put in an insurance claim for what will probably be a $2000 bill....
I doubt the glass provides any more protection than a windshield would. The structure of the model s and more specifically the reinforced pillars is what makes the model s’s roof so strong

Reactions: mswlogo
Of course given that it is the entire roof, the glass can't be assumed to be structurally sound anymore and may not provide adequate protection in a rollover.
The glass contributes essentials nothing to the structural safety of the car in a crash.

Agree with the others - if you’re filing an insurance claim get it all fixed. If not, wait and see plus a stop by a glass shop to see if they can fill it and minimize the risk of spread.

I had a rock chip filled in my all glass roof some 90,000 miles ago, has held wonderfully since then.

Ugh. My 1 week old 2018 Model S and I just got the tint done today too. Something got lodged between the roof and the trunk and I didn't realize when I pressed the button to close the trunk. I'm going to replace the trunk glass, but do I need to replace the glass roof too? I'm not sure if the crack is going to get bigger or if its ok to just leave it.

Does anyone know the cost of replaceing the trunk glass? what about the roof glass?

feeling all kinds of sadness right now.

EfT0A9T.jpg
Aww man -- sorry to hear. Seeing how easily something can get stuck in there during opening/closing -- I'm even less of a fan of the glass roof now.

I had a golf ball hit my rear window this summer; had it replaced at Tesla SC, and it cost $1016.00. They ordered the glass and a local glass subcontractor did the work there. Took the better part of a day. Part took ~6 weeks to arrive. Sorry the news isn’t better..........

I had a golf ball hit my rear window this summer; had it replaced at Tesla SC, and it cost $1016.00. They ordered the glass and a local glass subcontractor did the work there. Took the better part of a day. Part took ~6 weeks to arrive. Sorry the news isn’t better..........
Wow. 6 weeks. I was hoping the parts situation was getting better with growth.... Guess not.

I come back to report:

Concern: Customer states: Rear glass cracked. Correction: Liftgate Glass (Remove & Replace) Price 399.75 Adjustment 0.00 Subtotal 399.75 Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity Unit Price Price Adjustment Subtotal Backlite, MS(6005898-00-K) 1.0 605.00 605.00 0.00 605.00 Parts Subtotal 605.00 Pay Type: Customer Pay 1,004.75

So parts: $605
Labor: $399.75
Total: $1,004.75

The good news is part is in stock and ready for me to come in. the bad news.. that was an expensive mistake for something to get easily lodged between the trunk and the roof

I come back to report: Total: $1,004.75

Wow that seems like a good deal.
A few months ago I was moving our S from one side of the garage to the other and didn’t notice I’d triggered the geofenced HomeLink and backed into the closing garage door and broke the rear window. Tesla Rocklin said it would be about $1500 though didn’t look it up in their system. Got it fixed at the local local discount auto glass place for $1200 and the non OEM glass is definitely wavier, especially lower down.