Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had just come of the highway, but there was no crack when parked. Upon returning, there is a 7 inch crack. There is the tiny tiny tiny divot to suggest a possible small impact.

1600 miles on the car today with sad news. Yes only a bit sad - its only a car after all. Wondering if others have experienced similar crack? I guess i have no alternative but go to Tesla to fix. Last time I had a dealer replace windshield - the wind noise never got back to baseline. :(

I had just come of the highway, but there was no crack when parked. Upon returning, there is a 7 inch crack. There is the tiny tiny tiny divot to suggest a possible small impact.

1600 miles on the car today with sad news. Yes only a bit sad - its only a car after all. Wondering if others have experienced similar crack? I guess i have no alternative but go to Tesla to fix. Last time I had a dealer replace windshield - the wind noise never got back to baseline. :(

Windshields are often covered with no deductible under your insurance policy. Check with your insurer, of course, but this may not be as bad as you fear.

Windshields are often covered with no deductible under your insurance policy. Check with your insurer, of course, but this may not be as bad as you fear.
Usually depends on the laws in your state, which sometimes specify $0/$50/$100 windshield replacements. In states like Ohio without those protections, it just counts as a regular comprehensive claim.

Looks like there are no specific protections in Washington state :frown:: State Laws on windshield replacement repair

Edit: While unlikely, I wanted to note your insurer might do it voluntarily, so it's worth a look at your policy documents.

I had a very similar issue after a couple weeks of ownership. Very small mark/divot just on the glass (close to A pillar). Only noticed once it spread. Got it 'repaired' and sure enough didn't grow any more... instead it split and grew! Here in Alberta, the only insurance I was offered was a 3rd party glass policy, which I carried on all other cars, but they wouldn't actually cover the Tesla with it, they don't cover 'exotics' like Ferrari's and Rolls-Royce's.. While it is nice driving what some would equate to a RR... i'd rather have the coverage!

One local store couldn't get glass for it. Tesla hasn't responded when I asked for advice/recommendations, and frankly I haven't looked into it much past that. Fully expecting to pay $1000 if I do something about it, and with no SC nearby, it would have to be done by a local company.

Looks like there are no specific protections in Washington state :frown:: State Laws on windshield replacement repair
Yup, in Washington you're almost guaranteed to pay it out of pocket (depends of course on your deductible limit).

Is replacing a Tesla window more complicated/expensive than a "normal" car? If not, it should probably run ya somewhere aroune $300-$500.

Buddy of mine has had terrible luck with his SUV this year... 3 windshield replacements due to debris hitting the window in less than 12 months. He's spent about $1,000 this year on windshields. :eek:

Is replacing a Tesla window more complicated/expensive than a "normal" car? If not, it should probably run ya somewhere aroune $300-$500.
No more complicated, but they use RF-shielded glass, which is expensive, and last I checked no 3rd parties were making replacement glass. Usually you can buy "OEM Glass," which comes from the actual glass manufacturer (PPG, etc.), is the exact same quality and would be cheaper than Tesla's "Dealer Glass," but no one has been able to find the actual OEM. Either Tesla's making their own, or their OEM isn't selling directly to consumers.

Expect to pay about $1000-$1200, unfortunately. My quote about a year ago was $1200, but there seems to be some variation between SCs (shipping costs?).

Edit: OEM/Dealer glass is confusing industry terminology. An example: Honda uses PPG windshields. If you buy the windshield from Honda, it's "Dealer Glass" and has the Honda logo on it. If you buy the windshield from PPG it's the exact same windhshield, but PPG paints their own logo on it and charges less. That's "OEM Glass."