TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Crackling and popping sound coming from vents on start up

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by omar, Apr 20, 2018.

1. omar

omar Member

Hello all,

After the car has been idle for a little while, I notice a crackling/popping sound coming from the vent area when I go to start it up again. It happens as soon as the car is on. The air or heat isn't on and it still makes this noise. This happens every time I leave the car outside in the sun or warm climate. It goes away after a couple of minutes but I thought it was strange.

Has anyone had this issue?? Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  2. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

You should upload a video or audio recording of this.

• Like x 2
  3. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

#3 Moderatefan, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Have you done the de-bugging for any unwanted mics in your vents? Do you belong to any known terrorist organizations?

Just going through my standard troubleshooting routine for the crackling sounds.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. omar

omar Member

Yeah, good suggestion. I should use the video when I take it in as well. I figured it'll be hard for a service center to recreate this issue.

5. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I have something similar to this as well. Also, when i first got the car my passenger vent would make a similar clicking sound when splitting the air stream from 1x to 2x. Took it to the service center and they found that the flapper was loose, so it could be something like that.

• Like x 1
  6. omar

omar Member

Nice to hear it was taken care of! Thanks!

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Maybe the worker on the factory line dropped a screw or something that is hitting the fan blades? Or maybe dropped an M&M? :p

• Funny x 1
  8. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

I found a paper cup in the defroster vent tube on my Triumph, and a small screwdriver actually welded to the floor of the boot (trunk), but that was British Leyland in the 1970's.
    Robin

• Funny x 2
  9. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

he said it's crackling and popping. I think these are the more likely culprits:

upload_2018-4-20_15-4-6.png

• Funny x 2
  10. drawfour

drawfour Member

He didn't say it was snapping though.

• Helpful x 1
  11. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Brits.

12. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

The cracking and popping was to get the attention of snap. So he knew where to go to make them a happy family again.

• Funny x 1
  13. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Just noticed a noise coming from my vent also. It sounds like speaker static but the sound is not on. I can tell it’s from the vent. Anyone else?

14. omar

omar Member

My car is in service right now for that issue. They told me they are replacing something under the dash. Take a video of it and take it in to a SC.

I'll let you know more info when I get it back.

15. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Mine is definitely AC related. When climate is off it goes away. Actually it seems to only occur at fan speed 7-8

16. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I have a rattle noise that develops only at 7 and 8 as well. Mine's not linked to A/C, just the fan.

17. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

#17 Darthbenji, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Ahhh I didn’t try it without AC. I will. I did screw around a bit more and it’s only on 7 with the full air blowing from the main dash vent. If I split it to the dash and floor it goes away until I turn the fan up to 10. It also goes away if the air is directed to the floor only. Basically anywhere below the center line on the display and it’s gone.

Edit: just went to check if it happens without AC. Now it doesn’t happen at all. Baugh.

18. 5yJeff

5yJeff Member

Did you get this resolved? Started happening to me yesterday -- called it in, they're in the process of escalating/researching.

19. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

A couple days later the AC failed completely. I brought it in and reported the crackling and AC. Since the crackling wasn’t all the time and they said they couldn’t reproduce it. Having said that, now that the ac is fixed it’s never come back.

20. omar

omar Member

Nice info! I got my car back from service center. They dampened the noise but it's still there unfortunately. Maybe I'll ask them look into the AC.