Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash Test Results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An X already rolled over in a real life accident, so there goes their marketing pitch.

I'm surprised how the Model S didn't score very high in the Euro NCAP testing.

The US testing by NHTSA is pretty much a joke so the NCAP test is more meaningful.

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
@KZKZ it looks like it was lack of Autonomous emergency braking (AEB) when the car model SA was tested in 2014. No doubt it would do better today.
I don't think that anybody has ever claimed that it's impossible to flip a model X. Just that it's hard.

It's more than that which hurt the Model S NCAP crash test results.

Adult Occupant protection only scored a 82%. The Safety Assist that you mentioned was at 71%.

The side pole test for the passenger was rated as "Weak" The front offset test for driver and passenger only received "Adequate"

In comparison, other vehicles scored the following in in Adult Occupant protection:

Prius 92%
Volvo XC90 97%
Jaguar XE 92%
BMW i3 86%
Nissan Leaf 89%
MB C-Class 92%
MB GLC 95%
Model S 82%

Based on the Euro NCAP testing, the Model S is a laggard, not a leader when it comes to crash test results.

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze and ssq
With 3 pts for the AEB the MS would have scored 92% for adult occupant.

Where does it say that or how did you figure but 92% score?

What happened to the Model S being touted as the safest sedan available?

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-10_6-46-20.png
    upload_2016-8-10_6-46-20.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 46
Where does it say that or how did you figure but 92% score?

What happened to the Model S being touted as the safest sedan available?

It has the best rating on the NHTSA crash tests.
NCAP has some other tests that it scores lower on. As noted, lack of AEB knocked the S' score down at the time it was tested.

The IIHS also does its own testing, which includes rollover and small overlap. Small overlap is a recent addition so a bunch of the current cycle of cars score poorly on it. The rollover test is one reason why the Prime won't have the solar roof option in the USA.

Euro NCAP testing no doubt has contributed to cars being safer, but it has come under criticism recently, mainly because the tests don't simulate real world crashes well and because the tests themselves are so well established, the car manufacturers are putting more emphasis on making the areas of the vehicle they know will be tested safer.

In a recent TV doc here in the UK, they looked at the left hand drive and right hand drive variants of a particular car and the results were very different, but this wasn't communicated to potential customers.

They also commented that the US tests were much more realistic, particularly when they pointed out NCAP doesn't carry out an offset vehicle to vehicle impact test.

This could very well lead to the Model S, X and 3 receiving quite different safety ratings in the U.S. and Europe. Can't say I'll be losing much sleep over it though, particularly after seeing some of the real life collisions involving Teslas.

Euro NCAP testing no doubt has contributed to cars being safer, but it has come under criticism recently, mainly because the tests don't simulate real world crashes well and because the tests themselves are so well established, the car manufacturers are putting more emphasis on making the areas of the vehicle they know will be tested safer.

In a recent TV doc here in the UK, they looked at the left hand drive and right hand drive variants of a particular car and the results were very different, but this wasn't communicated to potential customers.

They also commented that the US tests were much more realistic, particularly when they pointed out NCAP doesn't carry out an offset vehicle to vehicle impact test.

This could very well lead to the Model S, X and 3 receiving quite different safety ratings in the U.S. and Europe. Can't say I'll be losing much sleep over it though, particularly after seeing some of the real life collisions involving Teslas.
At the same time many consider the small overlap crash test to have very little to do with reality.

An X already rolled over in a real life accident, so there goes their marketing pitch.

I'm surprised how the Model S didn't score very high in the Euro NCAP testing.

The US testing by NHTSA is pretty much a joke so the NCAP test is more meaningful.

I think the extremely low number of deaths per miles driven is more meaningful than NCAP for actual drivers, but maybe I'm crazy.

I'm not disagreeing that Tesla's vehicles are safe, but I wonder if some of it's safety record is due to it's price and styling.

Because it's a high-priced vehicle, it is immediately out of the price range of certain (potentially, high-risk) drivers. Also, due to it's price, owners may be more cautious while driving it. In the same way, the styling might not appeal to younger, more riskier drivers, especially a SUV.

For example, while it may be common for a teenage male to be drag-racing a Honda Civic, you probably won't see too many doing that in a Model-S or Model-X.

Last edited:
Reactions: RIZE
I think the extremely low number of deaths per miles driven is more meaningful than NCAP for actual drivers, but maybe I'm crazy.

The fatality rate for the Model S is actually not very good. There are a lot of vehicle models on the road that have driven a lot more fleet miles than the Model S, yet haven't had any fatalities, zero, none.

I think the low NCAP crash test results for the Model S is unfortunately another example of the Tesla hype that doesn't reflect reality.