Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy letter left on my windshield over the weekend..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you really give any credence to some poorly written screed left on your wiper?
For the record, I welcome these types of flyers. They will brighten my day. Please stuff them under my wipers at will. Just leave promptly before I get back.

I personally find it outrageous to believe that the oil and gas industry could be behind the actual placement/writing of the flyer. I do think it's a troubled individual, looking to cast blame somewhere that he/she believes blame is due. We here plainly see how wrong they are, but I'm sure it's very real to them. So while quite sad, if you encounter them, there is some marginal chance of it escalating to a level that's dangerous.

I was hiking in the peninsula (off skyline) this weekend and upon returning to my car saw this crazy letter on my windshield... WOW, the extent to which people go to!

[Moderator's note: image contains offensive language.]
View attachment 204707
It is awesome how they combined and embellished so much fake news into a single page document. Maybe the author is the genius behind most of the "news" on facebook. I got this letter on my windshield, you won't believe what happened next!

Reactions: bredi
Probably inspired by the anti-Elon Musk lobbying effort and the extensive ad spending to that effect.
That would amaze me; the lobbying effort was very uninspiring to me.

But, I looked at it from an anthropological point of view. I realized a few gruesome possibilities, that I throw out as theories (but I'm not wed to them as true):
  • Those who are toxically affected by fossil fuel pollution would not procreate as much, so the gene pool has been reduced of those who are anti-fossil fuel pollution over the last 100 years.
  • Similarly, those whose gene pools have a huge advantage around fossil fuel pollution would diminish (and their remaining life would be in some ways worse) once electric vehicles come into being, and gene pools that don't like toxic fossil fuel pollution would increase (and their lives improve). This would be a threat to those who have advantage in their genes in handling the toxic output of burning fossil fuels.
  • The smell of death of burning dead plants and animals may (to me it seems like it must) have an instinctive and logical deathly negative morbid effect on our minds and therefore our society; I would not be at all surprised to find out murder is higher around burning fossil fuels for just this reason. Similar to the above two points, those who profit from this same murder would also be against removing such murder.
  • I would not be surprised to find out ISIS is not only a beneficiary of oil profits and wars but also of the above two points, and that a lot of their deathly evil wellspring is from the above.
The above theories sound like a mental combination of fiction like the Charmed TV series and of science mis-mashed together. That in itself makes me doubt my own theories, but obviously it would take time to really study, time I don't have. For instance, even though this pressure on the gene pool may actually exist (or may not -- I guess very possible yes), and/or the psychology of burnt death may exist (or may not -- I guess somewhat possible yes), there may be as much counteractive forces innate to humanity that make them irrelevant, minimal, or reduced (I guess very possible yes).
It is awesome how they combined and embellished so much fake news into a single page document. Maybe the author is the genius behind most of the "news" on facebook. I got this letter on my windshield, you won't believe what happened next!
Don't throw it on the ground: someone might find it, and start thinking more like it.

Last edited:
That would amaze me; the lobbying effort was very uninspiring to me.

But you are (it seems over the internet at least :p:D) a sane person.

FWIW, I have a mentally ill uncle. He is deeply affected by emotionally charged media, such as claims of extensive corruption and con artistry on the billion dollar level, such as Mr. Musk has been accused of. Those things play into his poor mental state, including his difficulty in separating fact from fiction, and produce rants very similar to the letter -- irrational fear and hatred, steeped in conspiracy theory type stuff. Many of his breakdowns and episodes are triggered by that type of media.

But you are (it seems over the internet at least :p:D) a sane person.

FWIW, I have a mentally ill uncle. He is deeply affected by emotionally charged media, such as claims of extensive corruption and con artistry on the billion dollar level, such as Mr. Musk has been accused of. Those things play into his poor mental state, including his difficulty in separating fact from fiction, and produce rants very similar to the letter -- irrational fear and hatred, steeped in conspiracy theory type stuff. Many of his breakdowns and episodes are triggered by that type of media.
Thank you. And I feel sorry for your uncle. We all sort of try our best to understand reality, and many of us are pretty good at it. But almost all of us have to have some humility.

Wow. Affluent white male tells people how to live.

Why not? I'm an affluent white male. I wasn't born that way (except for the white and male part, of course). I think I have learned some good lessons and I have some valuable advice to offer. Why do you expect me to keep quiet when it comes to imparting advice about how to live, just because I am white, male and affluent?

Please, let's not judge people by the colour of their skin, or by their gender, or by their wealth, but by the content of their character.

Crazy letter.
Are the chemtrails covered on page 2?
At least this letter is written better than some of the crazy stuff in my Nextdoor neighborhood. There's a small set of very vocal anti-fluoridation people who and many of those same folks keep bringing up "chemtrails" and spraying. It almost seems like because they can find it via Google, it must be true. :rolleyes:

One of the same anti-fluoridation folks even went as far as calling the AMA (American Medical Association) and the medical establishment "quackery" and instead believing in "alternative" medicine like homeopathy.

Reactions: Lu Ann
Crazy letter.
At least this letter is written better than some of the crazy stuff in my Nextdoor neighborhood. There's a small set of very vocal anti-fluoridation people who and many of those same folks keep bringing up "chemtrails" and spraying. It almost seems like because they can find it via Google, it must be true. :rolleyes:

One of the same anti-fluoridation folks even went as far as calling the AMA (American Medical Association) and the medical establishment "quackery" and instead believing in "alternative" medicine like homeopathy.

chemtrails.jpg

Robin

In the best case, this is just a prank from someone who wants to see how many people he/she can rile up.
If so, it is likely someone who visits the forum and is enjoying the reaction.
I hope it is a middle-schooler who will grow out of it soon and use the energy and intelligence for something constructive.

If it is a grown-up, I would like to learn how to engage such people constructively.

We do have to live in this world together.
If we can't agree on important stuff, we can try to be polite.
I know it is not always possible - because we have limited bandwidth, much of which is taken up by drives.
Mental drives as well as Tesla drives.:)