Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy letter left on my windshield over the weekend..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Throughout the 80s I worked in the IBM mainframe world. I recall so many computer professionals choosing not to work on PCs—they were considered toys.

In 1990 I sat in a bar with a girlfriend and her new cellular telephone, I remember thinking those big clunky things will never catch on.

EVs will flood the market, much quicker than most think. Imagine the world in just a few years. This technology is a black swan.

Reactions: scaesare
Throughout the 80s I worked in the IBM mainframe world. I recall so many computer professionals choosing not to work on PCs—they were considered toys.

In 1990 I sat in a bar with a girlfriend and her new cellular telephone, I remember thinking those big clunky things will never catch on.

EVs will flood the market, much quicker than most think. Imagine the world in just a few years. This technology is a black swan.

Everyone is capable of plugging their phone into the wall. Not everyone is, or will be, capable of plugging in a car. Nice to see this thread pop up again.

The infrastructure to plug in (for those that can't plug in) will multiply and be available with easy access once the need for that arises.

Often times we want to have rock solid solutions even before the problem manifests. These are relatively easy problems to solve and will get solved one way or the other as the need arises.

Think of all the gas stations that will have to close :)

Everyone is capable of plugging their phone into the wall. Not everyone is, or will be, capable of plugging in a car. Nice to see this thread pop up again.

In recent years the phones are wirelessly charged. Sure, not everyone does it yet but they could.

The same thing will happen to EV's.

The Porsche Taycan supposedly is going to have Inductive Charging.

In recent years the phones are wirelessly charged. Sure, not everyone does it yet but they could.

The same thing will happen to EV's.

The Porsche Taycan supposedly is going to have Inductive Charging.

It's an option. Most inductive systems seem to lose 10-15% of the electricity across the kinds of gaps that ground clearance for a car creates, and you're adding extra weight and cost to the car to enable it, but it's certainly viable.

OTOH, Tesla and VW have both shown off fully automated plugging and unplugging of conventional cords on their standard plugs, which is just as viable, and won't lose all the extra energy or add weight to the car (but might cost more overall, if deployed to hundreds of thousands of overnight parking places.)

It's an option. Most inductive systems seem to lose 10-15% of the electricity across the kinds of gaps that ground clearance for a car creates, and you're adding extra weight and cost to the car to enable it, but it's certainly viable.

OTOH, Tesla and VW have both shown off fully automated plugging and unplugging of conventional cords on their standard plugs, which is just as viable, and won't lose all the extra energy or add weight to the car (but might cost more overall, if deployed to hundreds of thousands of overnight parking places.)

In my 3+ years of experience with owning an EV I'd say one of the biggest issues has been unreliable connectors, and charging stations being vandalized. This is usually with L2 stations that don't deliver a whole lot of power.

For L2/Home charging I think wireless charging makes sense. It keeps things away from vandalizes, and away from pickups that like backing into charges.

For Supercharging networks I'd prefer to see an external assistant robot, and not a snake charger.

Imagine what a Supercharger Attendance robot could do. It unplug/plug a car in, and it could help a car navigate autonomously to a different spot. It could also keep criminals away. It could also help keep it from getting ICE'd by yelling at anyone who parked there, and didn't plug in.

Maybe add the ability to clean windows, and to clean cameras like the backup camera.

For Supercharging networks I'd prefer to see an external assistant robot, and not a snake charger. [...] It could also keep criminals away.
terminator-genisys-endoskeleton-sixth-scale-hot-toys-feature-902662.jpg

The writer of this note strikes me as a potentially dangerous person. If anyone catches him and his license plate.number on a dashcam, there might be a way to get him to back off. Gently, of course: this guy Is a nut case.

Last edited:
I worked Saturday, at the end of the day I went to my car, parked at the four company provided EV charging spots, someone had placed traffic cones in front of each car.

A subtle statement. Nevertheless, a statement. I’ve taken everyone willing for a test ride in my Model 3. I believe that it is incumbent on early-adopters to demonstrate the technology with a open mind, the excitement is palpable so is the resentment.