Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking sound in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's , the text message from the service center:

In regards to the repairs on your Tesla, our technicians are recommending we perform a suspension torque check on your vehicle to ease the creaking noise. This is recommended annually as general maintenance. The cost is $227.5 to proceed. Please let me know if you would like us to go ahead with the servicing and if you would like a list of any other annual maintenance than we recommend. Thank you!

In other words they recommend I spend 227 bucks every year to torque the suspension. This is not listed on their website as annual recommended maintenance like cabin filter, tire rotation, etc.

Hopefully their list of annual recommended maintenance doesn't keep growing.

The suspension not being torqued properly is no freakin maintenance. I had mine in for that a number of times.

Torqueing solves it for a while but there’s a structural problem there, it’s far too prevalent and recurring.

The suspension not being torqued properly is no freakin maintenance. I had mine in for that a number of times.

Torqueing solves it for a while but there’s a structural problem there, it’s far too prevalent and recurring.
Thanks TeeEmCee. Did the service center charge you or at least covered it under warranty? Annual suspension retorqueing as recommended maintenance just seems odd. I've owned many cars and never had this as a recommended annual service need.

Here's , the text message from the service center:

In regards to the repairs on your Tesla, our technicians are recommending we perform a suspension torque check on your vehicle to ease the creaking noise. This is recommended annually as general maintenance. The cost is $227.5 to proceed. Please let me know if you would like us to go ahead with the servicing and if you would like a list of any other annual maintenance than we recommend. Thank you!

In other words they recommend I spend 227 bucks every year to torque the suspension. This is not listed on their website as annual recommended maintenance like cabin filter, tire rotation, etc.

Hopefully their list of annual recommended maintenance doesn't keep growing.
Oh, would be nice to know what nuts need to be retorqued, and how high, for those who want to DIY it.

I am currently sitting in the service center here in Columbus Ohio. They brought me in earlier than my appointment because they were sure they knew what it was. They believe it's a bushing from an upper control arm. They are looking at it right now, but I will post back if I find out it's something different.

So I am also having this very annoying creaking sound coming from the rear passenger side when braking at low speeds. Took to the SC and they have said:

Concern: Customer stated that he can hear a mild creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a
stop
Carried out a road test with another model 3 can confirm same noise coming from the model 3 tested. Inspected vehicle
suspension and brakes with no faults found. Vehicle is currently operating as designed.
Correction: NO LABOR PERFORMED

The service engineer said lots of M3s are suffering from this problem and said it is operating as designed.

So I am also having this very annoying creaking sound coming from the rear passenger side when braking at low speeds. Took to the SC and they have said:

Concern: Customer stated that he can hear a mild creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a
stop
Carried out a road test with another model 3 can confirm same noise coming from the model 3 tested. Inspected vehicle
suspension and brakes with no faults found. Vehicle is currently operating as designed.

The service engineer said lots of M3s are suffering from this problem and said it is operating as designed.

So they are saying the vehicle is creaking by design? Not acceptable.

Find another owner that doesn't have the issue and ask the owner to help you out and take it to the SC for the service guy to compare. Then ask if the quiet car is NOT operating as designed.

stop

So, it's those of us with no creaking that should be worried?

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66 and WilliamG
I drive a Model 3 and noticed yesterday that the Model 3 has a "creak" sound when I accelerate from a stop position. Sometimes I can hear it when I brake suddenly. I did borrow a Model X while my car was getting paint repairs. I know the answer is to take it to a SC but they are pretty swamped and was wondering if anyone knew if it was a simple fix that I can perform.

I also have to take it in for paint problems that are new. There is also a weird rattling sound coming from the right side when the wind is fast. Otherwise, I do love the car and can't appreciate it much if I got my music or podcast playing loud. It's particularly noticeable when i am driving the family around.

I had a metallic creaking sound near the driver side of my Model 3 especially when I go over bumps. I took it into the SC last Friday and got my car back on Wednesday. I was told that the VIN plate on the dashboard was not screwed down correctly.
Last night I did a quick drive across town, on mostly quiet streets and heard the same, mostly on harder acceleration and less so on deceleration. The sound comes from the back, I'm guessing from a suspension component. It really does sound like it's a 15-year old car with a busted suspension going over bumps.
Same problem with my dual model 3
15000mi

There are 3 other TESLA in my family
None of them make this noise.
Service appointment Nov.20
I’m betting on a suspension issue

currently sounds like the junker I drove in college. Drives a lot better though.

Just
So they are saying the vehicle is creaking by design? Not acceptable.

Find another owner that doesn't have the issue and ask the owner to help you out and take it to the SC for the service guy to compare. Then ask if the quiet car is NOT operating as designed.

just brought mine to SC today and they are replacing a control arm
Hopefully details to follow
(One year old M3)

The creak I discovered today while backing out of my drive, going over a small curb while the steering wheel it angled to the right. Video records several ins and outs from my drive. Last one is the best. More noticeable in reverse than going forward.

I made a better audio recording of the creaking from my rear suspension or some other hardware in that area. Only happens when the steering wheel is cut in either direction. If the wheels are straight there is no creaking sound going over the driveway curb.

Those sounds are not creaks. That seems like a massive clunking noise.

Something that should be tight is not. Could be failed or worn out rubber bushings. Which could explain why some people are having their control arms replaced to fix these noises.

@dwalme my car is a 4/19 build with about 6k miles. Service Center appointment on 12/16. Will report back any findings or fixes. Knowing my creaking/clunking only happens when the wheel is turned will hopefully guide their way to a fix.

I previously discovered my mid-aero shield was not attached correctly. Photo below and sound in this video.

That was a huge find on my own. If Tesla had any competence when I reported noises this should have been an easy to one to check. Once fixed it made a big difference in making the car sound and feel more solid. The noises from that may have masked the noises from the suspension.

The steering wheel was cocked slightly at delivery. At 900 miles I had Tesla align the car and straighten the wheel. They have to take off the mid aero shield to align the car. Did they miss it was not installed correctly at the factory or screw that up when reinstalling?

After experiencing what this car can do I don't want to drive anything else, but I've spent many hours trying to figure out Tesla's poor build and fit and finish issues to eliminate noises. I've forced them to align my passenger front door (2x to get that right), adjust B pillars seals and fix the triangle, all which helped tame the wind noise. Trunk was misaligned. Cosmetic, but crappy to see for the next 10 years. Got them to align it.

Taped down my wheel wells. Could hear the front-left rattling at times. Easy fix, but why does Tesla use plastic liners that rattle?

On my hunt to find mystery noises I discovered the plastic vent under the passenger seat could flop around. Secured that with Gorilla Tape.

What other car manufacturer has customers who will put up with this?

For those whose cars have been "perfect." Happy you won the Tesla lottery.

Last edited: