TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Creaking sound in Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by minsup23, Oct 12, 2018.

1. minsup23

minsup23 Member

I drive a Model 3 and noticed yesterday that the Model 3 has a "creak" sound when I accelerate from a stop position. Sometimes I can hear it when I brake suddenly. I did borrow a Model X while my car was getting paint repairs. I know the answer is to take it to a SC but they are pretty swamped and was wondering if anyone knew if it was a simple fix that I can perform.

I also have to take it in for paint problems that are new. There is also a weird rattling sound coming from the right side when the wind is fast. Otherwise, I do love the car and can't appreciate it much if I got my music or podcast playing loud. It's particularly noticeable when i am driving the family around.

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. srkerd

srkerd Member

I have the same on my P3D+. Just want to follow the tread. Although I only noticed it on acceleration from a stop and not when breaking.

• Like x 1
  3. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

I hear a rattle intermittently by driver side front window. At first I thought it was speaker crackle but then I muted audio and still hear it. You could call it a creak with a little rattle thrown in.

• Like x 1
  4. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Last night I did a quick drive across town, on mostly quiet streets and heard the same, mostly on harder acceleration and less so on deceleration. The sound comes from the back, I'm guessing from a suspension component. It really does sound like it's a 15-year old car with a busted suspension going over bumps.

• Helpful x 1
  5. minsup23

minsup23 Member

Glad I am not the only one! Hopefully someone knows where it is coming from and why it is such a common occurrence.

• Informative x 1
  6. srkerd

srkerd Member

this might sound silly but I feel my suspension sits high for a P3D+ and I wonder if there are some shipping spacers installed on the suspension they forgot to take out and that is making a noise... I haven't inspected the suspension though...

7. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

I've been trying to figure this out too. The rear of mine is 1/2" higher than the front. I wish I knew what components are exclusive to the P3D+. Hopefully service will let me know one day.

8. minsup23

minsup23 Member

I have an AWD, nonperformance.

9. IgorS

IgorS Member

I had a creaking sound that I found was coming from the aero cover on the front driver wheel. Only noticeable with the window down. It seemed secure on the wheel, but the creaking was reproducible when i pressed on the cover. A week ago the cover fell off during driving. Tesla promised to replace it. At least the creaking is gone.

• Funny x 1
  10. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Thank you for the tip. I just received my lug/center caps today and took the covers off. I’ll test again tomorrow.

11. Orwell

Orwell Member

There have been P3D+ shipped/built with normal springs. You might want to check against another local P3D+.

12. Orwell

Orwell Member

Some people are reporting noise from CV axle.

13. tyfosho

tyfosho Member

Mine has a metal on metal rattle/creaking noise that I found to be the cover on the passenger side that’s at the same place as the charge port. I’m still not sure how to fix it though

14. lux_cars

lux_cars Member

I have similar creaking/rattling sounds coming and plan to take it to the SC at some point.

15. Nandrews508

Nandrews508 Member

Getting the same "door creaking" sounds from the back of my P3D+ when accelerating and have scheduled a service appointment to address.

16. Nandrews508

Nandrews508 Member

Update: Service took care of it. They just had to re-torque the suspension and the noise was completely eliminated. Fixed it and got the car back in the same day :)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  17. minsup23

minsup23 Member

Nice. How long was the car in the SC? I was told it was a fit issue like a loose clip in the back. The guy felt it was coming up from too high a position to be the suspension

18. minsup23

minsup23 Member

Found out just now it was something from the splash guard. Nothing with the suspension. Kind of weird but going to pick it up now

19. Nandrews508

Nandrews508 Member

Just for the day - maybe 6 hours or so.

20. dclam1975

dclam1975 New Member

I had a metallic creaking sound near the driver side of my Model 3 especially when I go over bumps. I took it into the SC last Friday and got my car back on Wednesday. I was told that the VIN plate on the dashboard was not screwed down correctly.