Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creating playlist for USB with FLAC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several threads on this subject -- do some searches as I'm not sure if you are a PC or Mac kinda person. Different keywords to use: FLAC, USB, Media Player.

If you are using a Mac, take a look at a free OSX app called Tesla Tunes which has a number of features to deal with deficiencies in Media Player USB support. It works with or without iTunes. Other threads will provide PC context and tools Windows folk are using, but if useful, THIS PAGE on my personal website may get you going rather than culling through many other threads -- my context is Mac+iTunes, but it has most of the known USB issues and some of the workarounds with folder structures, etc may still point you in the right direction so you don't have to go through as much trial and tribulation as many of us have.

Good luck!

So I did a search for posts with USB, FLAC and playlist in the title and this was the only one that came up. Does that mean there is no way to create a playlist that Tesla will recognize for FLAC files on the USB drive?

I'm on a PC.

So I did a search for posts with USB, FLAC and playlist in the title and this was the only one that came up. Does that mean there is no way to create a playlist that Tesla will recognize for FLAC files on the USB drive?

I'm on a PC.
Tesla has never supported real playlists, aka "M3U" files. It's been a continued unacknowledged-by-Tesla requirement from a number of owners over the years.

One workaround is to put the files representing each of your "playlists" into separate folders on your USB device, then use Media Player to access those using Folder view to play them back. That will get you part-way to what you want, however, maintaining playback sequence within each of those "playlists" is finicky at best, and assuming you create copies of some tracks into multiple folders, the other Views in Media Player will show the duplicates -- all of that is discussed ad-infinatum in many other threads here on TMC, one of the more recent is Comprehensive USB Bug List if you're willing to take a deep breath, sit down with a good drink, and read through the musings there. ;) Good luck.