Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep off but prevent roll backwards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have autopilot hardware, then pressing the brake firmly while stopped will engage the hold feature, which will keep the brakes on until you begin accelerating even if you remove your foot.

If you have a pre-autopilot car, then the car will automatically engage hill hold while on a sufficiently steep slope, which will keep the brakes engaged for up to two seconds (I think) after you release the brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
If you have autopilot hardware, then pressing the brake firmly while stopped will engage the hold feature, which will keep the brakes on until you begin accelerating even if you remove your foot.

If you have a pre-autopilot car, then the car will automatically engage hill hold while on a sufficiently steep slope, which will keep the brakes engaged for up to two seconds (I think) after you release the brakes.

Just picked up my new Model S yesterday. Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I will try it out on the way home.

Yeah, hold was added in software version 7.0 and I didn't know if I'd like it at first but now its the norm. Just a tiny bit of extra pressure and the H comes up, it holds, etc. Otherwise you can stop as usual, even use the breaks some, and feather off without hold. Works really well.

Careful when you get 100% use to it daily and then get in other normal ICE cars, especially since they creep forward, etc. Hate using other cars now without the hold, etc. ;-)

I wish that Tesla would automatically hill-hold. My Audi would automatically engage brake based hill-hold if I'm on a hill and the ABS sensors detect the car starting to roll back.

Mine does that. As long as you use the brake pedal to stop, hill-hold will be active. You can see the gray H, and the brake lights on in the IC display. Now, if you remove your foot before you completely stop, it may cancel out. I tended to release the brake just as I was coming to a stop to smooth out the inevitable jolt. Sometimes, especially if stopping uphill, that will cause hill-hold to not engage. But easy to learn to not do that.

Mine does that. As long as you use the brake pedal to stop, hill-hold will be active. You can see the gray H, and the brake lights on in the IC display. Now, if you remove your foot before you completely stop, it may cancel out. I tended to release the brake just as I was coming to a stop to smooth out the inevitable jolt. Sometimes, especially if stopping uphill, that will cause hill-hold to not engage. But easy to learn to not do that.

I think you're right — it's based off how hard you stop with the brake. I guess I had bad experiences using light braking to come to a stop during parking maneuvers, and having the car roll backwards as a result of slowly coasting to a stop and reversing direction…

The Audi system doesn't care. Even if gravity is what causes your car to move back while in Drive or move forward while in Reverse, the car automatically stops that movement with the brakes until you press the accelerator enough to overcome it.