Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unplug any USB devices, and if you're using one for Sentry Mode or TeslaCam, reformat it.

Interesting. I just started having this issue and was wondering WTF is going on... I just installed a USB hub... I think I will unplug it and see if the problem goes away.

If it is the USB hub, am I SOL when it comes to using the hub or is there some way to make it not forget how to use cruise control because I have a USB hub?

Keith

Having this issue on the 2022 Model S. No cruise control available, all surrounding cars are no longer there. Lines and speed signs are present. On the very rare (once a week maybe) occasion while driving the surrounding cars become visible and the cruise works until the cars disappear once more a few minutes later and it tells me to take control immediately as cruise stops working. Do have an appointment on the 28th.

Looks like my problem was the USB hub. Since I unplugged it I haven't had any issues with cruise control. I don't know how it is possible for a USB hub to interfere with the cruise control system and I understand that other people in this thread have different issues causing their cruise control problem... I am just grateful that someone mentioned it as a possible cause or I would still be tearing what little of my hair remains out of my head in frustration.

Keith

Definitely some software interference with the USB port/drive. Tried removing the usb drive from the glovebox location and you guessed it, cruise was back up as well as visualization. Inserted the original Tesla brand usb drive that came with the car and things get all screwed up again. Removed the drive and rebooted the car, still does not work even with drive not installed this time around. Hmmm, looks like I will be keeping my SC appointment this 28th.

Looks like my problem was the USB hub. Since I unplugged it I haven't had any issues with cruise control. I don't know how it is possible for a USB hub to interfere with the cruise control system and I understand that other people in this thread have different issues causing their cruise control problem... I am just grateful that someone mentioned it as a possible cause or I would still be tearing what little of my hair remains out of my head in frustration.

Keith
If I were to take a guess, there is a bug/issue in the kernal driver for the USB device... And there could be a DMA (Direct Memory Access) write between the FSD computer and the infotainment computer or wherever the USB controller resides etc, so there could be some contention going on there... Just a wild guess on my part tho, but it's one of the only ways how I could see something like this could cause the issue.

Reactions: JonB65
Damn it! It happened to me again even though I removed the USB hub. It seems like a software glitch. All the cameras are clear, there is no "x y z camera blocked" message... it just doesn't allow cruise control or AP for no damn reason!

I am hoping that it was a software glitch and I just downloaded a new update... hope that fixes it.

Keith

PS: one of the worst parts about it is you don't know it is f'ed up until you start driving and go over 20 mph. If I sat down in the car and it said "cruise control unavailable" I would get out and take my wife's car with it's dumb cruise system that always works flawlessly.

I’ve been having this same issue past few weeks, and feel like it started with 2022.8.3. For me the “Max” speed will appear, then immediately go away. Does this on a perfectly normal highway. 2021 Model Y LR.

Adding video:

Last edited:
I’ve been having this same issue past few weeks, and feel like it started with 2022.8.3. For me the “Max” speed will appear, then immediately go away. Does this on a perfectly normal highway. 2021 Model Y LR.

Adding video:
Yes, this is exactly what my car is doing. I've scheduled a service for May 6. Sometimes, after 10-15 minutes of driving it will stay on and work fine. Very frustrating!