Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Fan #1: Cruise should release as much dash cam footage as they are legally able to. If their account of the incident is accurate, the footage and data should back it up.
Me: Tesla should also release as much footage and data as they are legally able to. Up to this point they have prevented the release of video and data in almost all reviewed cases (Electrek) even at the legal request of the owners who are also asking "If Tesla's account of the incident is accurate, the footage and data should back it up".​
Tesla Fan #2: Tesla can't release any owner video footage without their permission, so it's irrelevant.​

yo fear Tesla fans after fearing God!
The same applies to the owner data too. Tesla only made it public it in the case you cited due to a Chinese regulator request and provided it to state run media as part of their interview:

The US doesn't have an equivalent dynamic (in terms for state run media and things like regulators having you "drink tea").

The month later Tesla developed a platform for Chinese owners to request their own data (similar to the US one) and as I linked, they also provided free EDR software.

Tesla also makes it easy for owners to record their own footage from the car, which plenty of owners have used to post videos of incidents.

As mentioned, privacy laws prevent Tesla from releasing such footage and data anyways to the public (the owners certainly can and have done so though!).

The point by OP is we don't have anywhere near the same level of insight into Cruise incidents.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's hard to piece together what happened just based on statements. It's not entirely clear why Cruise would have continued going forward on the green if it saw there was still a pedestrian still in the cross walk...

Programming philosophy: Cruise might not want to waste time and be honked for being too cautious. Thus it practices "go around crossing pedestrian". That works as long as the scene is predictable. In some cases, the pedestrian trajectory might abruptly change as in this case.

Yeah, it's hard to piece together what happened just based on statements. It's not entirely clear why Cruise would have continued going forward on the green if it saw there was still a pedestrian still in the cross walk.
She was not in the crosswalk.

Interesting how fanbois make demands of Cruise, yet don't do the same for Tesla with FSD.
Tesla has been consistently proven to drip feed distilled 'data' that suits the Tesla safety narrative.
Cruise has an exponentially growing paid robotaxi service. Fill your boots!!

Interesting how fanbois make demands of Cruise, yet don't do the same for Tesla with FSD.
Tesla has been consistently proven to drip feed distilled 'data' that suits the Tesla safety narrative.
Cruise has an exponentially growing paid robotaxi service. Fill your boots!!

You can't have your "FSD Beta is not autonomous" cake and eat it too. If FSD Beta is not autonomous, then every vehicle with FSD Beta active has a human driver behind the wheel that is responsible for everything it does.

Because Cruise has no driver, they are subject to greater regulation and scrutiny.

Unless, of course, you're claiming that FSD Beta is autonomous, and that Tesla has the world's largest AV fleet. That would make you the fanboi.

That directly contradicts Cruise's earlier statement to SF Chronicle:
"According to Cruise, the pedestrian was in the crosswalk. The San Francisco Police Department said it could not immediately confirm that information."

So still hard to tell what really happened even with a third party account of what happened in the video.

But if she was not in the cross walk, the ending position of the car makes more sense.

It shows how unreliable media statements can be however.

Last edited:

Thanks for the latest updated info clarification. That explains why the Cruise stopped too far from the crosswalk.

Lots of times, a driver is not ticketed for hitting a jaywalker.

However, a good driver would be able to scan and detect a jaywalker on the road.

A good programmer would make sure the car slows down when a jaywalker is detected.

The bad programmer and lousy driver is the one that killed the jaywalker:

The Cruise vehicle actually ran her over. Even if she was knocked into the other lane from another car the Cruise vehicle did not stop before it hit her. She was under the rear of the car. The car did not detect a person lying down in the road while traveling at low speed.

The Cruise vehicle actually ran her over. Even if she was knocked into the other lane from another car the Cruise vehicle did not stop before it hit her. She was under the rear of the car. The car did not detect a person lying down in the road while traveling at low speed.

Yes, Cruise ran over a pedestrian. But the question is whether it was meaningfully avoidable. If their description of the events are accurate, then the vehicle was physically incapable of coming to a complete stop prior to striking the pedestrian, and braked as much as possible.

This is why the details of this situation make all the difference. Could an attentive human driver have saved this woman her additional injuries?

You can't have your "FSD Beta is not autonomous" cake and eat it too. If FSD Beta is not autonomous, then every vehicle with FSD Beta active has a human driver behind the wheel that is responsible for everything it does.

Because Cruise has no driver, they are subject to greater regulation and scrutiny.

Unless, of course, you're claiming that FSD Beta is autonomous, and that Tesla has the world's largest AV fleet. That would make you the fanboi.
Yes, Tesla 'FSD' is not remotely near autonomous & to claim otherwise against Cruise, is the most laughable of false equivalency

Yes, Tesla 'FSD' is not remotely near autonomous & to claim otherwise against Cruise, is the most laughable of false equivalency

Thanks for agreeing with me that your attempts to draw Tesla into this thread are laughable. When Cruise does something wrong and your only argument is "But Tesla..." then you've already lost. FSD Beta has absolutely nothing to do with this accident.

Reactions: Yelobird
Yes, Cruise ran over a pedestrian. But the question is whether it was meaningfully avoidable. If their description of the events are accurate, then the vehicle was physically incapable of coming to a complete stop prior to striking the pedestrian, and braked as much as possible.

This is why the details of this situation make all the difference. Could an attentive human driver have saved this woman her additional injuries?
Kind of sad that threads keep getting hijacked to use logical fallacies like whataboutism and ad hominem attacks ("fanboi") instead of discussing the subject at hand.

Cruise appears to have temporarily added safety drivers back to their AVs. No official announcement about this yet, but it's the first time I've heard of Cruise vehicles with safety drivers in months:

I predicted this might happen. It is not surprising. Cruise has had too many serious issues which only got worse. At first, it was just a couple stalls so people thought Cruise would weather it. Then the stalls got frequent and started blocking first responders. Then we got a couple collisions. And now a woman who was hit by a car, gets run over by a Cruise AV. The problems became too big to ignore anymore. Cruise was simply not ready to go driverless yet, at least not at the scale they were trying to do.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Cruise appears to have temporarily added safety drivers back to their AVs. No official announcement about this yet, but it's the first time I've heard of Cruise vehicles with safety drivers in months:

I did some poking around. My source tells me there are are still some Cruise driverless cars in SF. So I think Whole Mars may be jumping the gun when he says "all". Perhaps all the cars he has seen had safety drivers but that does not mean that all Cruise AV in SF have a safety driver. I doubt Whole Mars has checked every single Cruise AV in all of SF. So it is likely that Cruise has drastically reduced the number of driverless cars but not eliminated driverless entirely.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I did some poking around. My source tells me there are are still some Cruise driverless cars in SF. So I think Whole Mars may be jumping the gun when he says "all". Perhaps all the cars he has seen had safety drivers but that does not mean that all Cruise AV in SF have a safety driver. I doubt Whole Mars has checked every single Cruise AV in all of SF. So it is likely that Cruise has drastically reduced the number of driverless cars but not eliminated driverless entirely.
No problem in the longer run. Still moving forward

I wonder how many people were sitting around Cruise SF HQ on alert, waiting to be deployed? Perhaps Cruise is in the process of hiring and training drivers and installing them in cars as the drivers come online.

Reactions: diplomat33
I wonder how many people were sitting around Cruise SF HQ on alert, waiting to be deployed? Perhaps Cruise is in the process of hiring and training drivers and installing them in cars as the drivers come online.
There's always been a security driver hidden in the trunk. Cruise realized the driver didn't drive so well from there, so they moved them back behind the wheel.

• Funny
Reactions: Doggydogworld