Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh what..one cannot get out of Model X on street side without potentially decapitating a cyclist...that's a serious reliability issue that Tesla must take responsibility for. ;)

I hereby take the opportunity that has arisen to coin the term falcon'D.

Falcon'D(verb)- the act of getting hit by or hurt oneself and in extreme cases decapitation by Tesla FWD.
Usage - "Oh look!! TitanoX just falcon'd @ssq !"

Reviews and improvements are welcome. I shall also post pictures of my garage's central beam to discuss the possibilities of "FWD crunch".

Ouch! I hope I don't run into that problem, my rails are kind of low. I don't think I can move it higher, can I?
It looks like you can get several inches by getting rid of the center motor and using a Liftmaster 8500, and getting new tracks that are single on top (not double), and putting them all the way to the beams like this:
IMG_0192.JPG

It looks like you can get several inches by getting rid of the center motor and using a Liftmaster 8500, and getting new tracks that are single on top (not double), and putting them all the way to the beams like this:
View attachment 174727

But I got this beam thing, I am not sure what is inside of it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 3.40.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 3.40.22 PM.png
    965.7 KB · Views: 115
Anyone care to review my garage with respect to FWD-crunch ?
I lost my friggin measuring tape but from previous measurements I recall that it will be tricky to have the car parked so that the FWD just avoid the beam. And no I don't like backing into the garage (I suck at reversing :/) so that's ruled out. Planning to swap out the current setup with a side mounted jackshaft opener which in turn helps get rid of the center torsion rail. So with the current opener and rail gone I should gain about 9 inches of vertical space. The side rails will also be raised so the door in its open position is above the beam's lowest plane. So netnet the beam is the bottleneck.
Edit: The X will be parked beside this BMW 5, with the X being on the left side as you currently see in the last picture.

20160430_103347.jpg
20160430_103136.jpg
20160430_103055.jpg

Last edited:
People aren't mentioning width enough. The FWDs need space to open out too. Unless you have a good amount of space on both sides of the car in the garage, you'll be unloading before you get in garage and letting car park itself.

My garage height is fine, but my driver side FWD is about 16" from wall and can't open enough for anyone other than a smurf to get out. So, when I have all my kids in the car (with car seats), I have to unload outside garage.

Just put insulation/foam on your rails with tape and don't worry about it. The doors move so darn slow, they won't get hurt at all by touching the foam.

I am lucky, and my FWDs sense the rails. BUT, in a parking garage today, one of them would have hit concrete beam that was lower than the ceiling had I not been there to stop it.

I love the convenience/access of the FWDs, but do think the sensors were poorly placed and, largely, not capable of working well in situations where they're most needed. Likely not a retrofit, but a v2 change.

@ssq Your garage looks like it will be fine, but watch that horizontal beam. Looks like you'll have plenty of width to just use the "umbrella" mode on he FWDs and you'll be fine. That beam is also big enough that I think the sensor on top of the X will pick it up.

• Helpful
Reactions: ssq
@ssq Your garage looks like it will be fine, but watch that horizontal beam. Looks like you'll have plenty of width to just use the "umbrella" mode on he FWDs and you'll be fine. That beam is also big enough that I think the sensor on top of the X will pick it up.
Thanks, and sure hope so. I was hoping I don't need to make any changes. With the garage door open, the door itself will be a good sensing surface. What I am worried about in the current setup is that the front 5-10% edge of the FWD will be underneath the beam, while the X is parked. Whether the sensor can cover for an area beyond the FWD and avoid it's edges hitting things.. well.. the first test will be a stressful one for me.

I just bought the type of foam you put around pipes, cut it in half, and put it on my garage rails. Never had to use it, but I suspect it would work fine. Also use door bumpers on garage wall - but I bought those for my S. Driver door hasn't had any issues sensing the wall.

Given the photo documentation, I fully expect Tesla to pay for all damage incurred.
It would be nice to hear from OP what TM has to say about liability of repair. Who pays?
They may for good will purposes but I doubt that they have any liability. I expect that they have all the disclaimers about owners responsibility for the safe operation of the doors

I'm happy to report that only that small glass section needed replacing, and Tesla did not charge me for it. The receipt noted "one time goodwill" for the $0 charge rather than "warranty."

Almost everything in my car is now working as expected. The only two issues I still have are the unwieldy 2nd row seats and the inability of the Model X to pick up where I left off when listening to music on a USB thumb drive (or via Bluetooth on my phone). Hoping for a robust firmware update in the next couple of months!