Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conservative is best, as this thread has shown. I'm really happy they've made this change. The liftgate limit works great, too.
Confirmed in same parking garage spot, last nite's firmware update. Good to go.
IMG_9869.JPG

• Love
Reactions: X-Man and Lex
I have two curious questions:
1.) How does the location over-ride work in an under-ground garage with no GPS signal?
2.) Wouldn't it be good if the fwd doors open in the now obsolete "umbrella mode" if it detects rain?

1. Presumably the position is approximated from the last known position when you entered the garage. Don't know for sure though.

2. Why do you think "umbrella mode" is obsolete?

1. Presumably the position is approximated from the last known position when you entered the garage. Don't know for sure though.

2. Why do you think "umbrella mode" is obsolete?
Personally, I don't think it's obsolete and I can imagine some scenarios where it would be useful (e.g. when its raining).
However, it sounds like the feature has been removed. That's probably a better word than "obsolete"

Personally, I don't think it's obsolete and I can imagine some scenarios where it would be useful (e.g. when its raining).
However, it sounds like the feature has been removed. That's probably a better word than "obsolete"

I'll double check when I leave work but I thought if you have clearance it still gives you the full open and partial open options. Otherwise you only get partial open.

It's a real update. (2.24.78) The umbrella mode button is gone too! You must trust the doors! :p Location awareness button functions to override the "careful" low opening mode, for example if you know where you're parking is clear. I'm wondering if the sensors are now buffering low clearance objects and proposing the lower opening based on sensor readings at a set speed or time? Someone is listening to us on this thread ;) Other new feature is driver's door now opens when you double tap the key fob to unlock, I was wondering when this was coming, now have to wait for the "triple click passenger door open" function so I'm never in trouble for forgetting to open wifey's door. :cool: (Hope "they" are still listening)

Hmm, still waiting for my update availability notification. Pretty sure the double press unlock & auto-open front door (if option set) came in a previous release as I already have that. will check my version later today.

I stand corrected. The ability to partially open the Falcon Doors when there is no overhead obstruction has indeed been removed. Hopefully it will be added back soon.

Question: on new version does driver door open with FOB even if you don't have PUP? That would frustrate me as its one of the only reasons I paid for PUP.
I have non-PUP, and software update last night. FWD & Trunk open partially now (but I've not tested all cases). My driver door does not open on FOB unlock, I suspect that is only for PUP as others mention, but motors to open are there via screen & handle touch.

Single press "All close feature" is separate topic, needs attention....... it's been with us for before recent update.
Newest Fun Feature also Dangerous

This change has definitely Improved the rear lift gate opening scenario but in my garage it did not at all improve the FWD opening scenario. The scope of detection has not improved so the door still hits my rails on one side (fortunately padded) and the garage door motor on the other side (fortunately just the plastic light cover). What I would like is the ability to constrain opening height in this location. My reading of the release note makes it seem that you still have to trust the door to detect but can override to full open. I simply need to constrain the opening height in this location if the sensors can't detect these obstructions.

I am hoping this comes soon as part of a new release. Then I will be happy with the FWDs in my every day use scenario.

This change has definitely Improved the rear lift gate opening scenario but in my garage it did not at all improve the FWD opening scenario. The scope of detection has not improved so the door still hits my rails on one side (fortunately padded) and the garage door motor on the other side (fortunately just the plastic light cover). What I would like is the ability to constrain opening height in this location. My reading of the release note makes it seem that you still have to trust the door to detect but can override to full open. I simply need to constrain the opening height in this location if the sensors can't detect these obstructions.

I am hoping this comes soon as part of a new release. Then I will be happy with the FWDs in my every day use scenario.
As a stop gap (pun intended), can you place/hang a more obvious artifact in a place the FWD does see and avoid it? Then enable the save this location routine. Then remove the artifacts and maybe MX will remember some possible damage it could not see before.

If it works, you can play with artifact placement to optimize how FWD open in your garage.

As a stop gap (pun intended), can you place/hang a more obvious artifact in a place the FWD does see and avoid it? Then enable the save this location routine. Then remove the artifacts and maybe MX will remember some possible damage it could not see before.

If it works, you can play with artifact placement to optimize how FWD open in your garage.
(2.24.78) is the build I'm talking about