Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CT Owners - This is about as easy as it gets to contact your state senator ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't say I'm entirely surprised. When writing my first letter to my legislators I tried to think of clever arguments that would sway me if I were in their position and however rational they were (consumer choice, free market, environment, etc) I couldn't think of one that was better than the dealership argument: we give you money for agreeing with us and will support the other guy if you don't. Not enough people in CT care about this bill to oppose the dealerships.

I can also understand this position from the dealership perspective. Its not that they feel threatened by having to compete with Tesla, its that they are afraid their own manufacturers will follow suit and nix the need for them, the middleman. They know people hate them and would rather go to chevy.com and order their cars. This is a bit of a slippery slope argument but its compelling to them none the less.

Its a terrible situation that I'm not sure will be fixed by next year's bill. Makes me wonder what was different in NY where they did seem to get over this issue. At least CT is a small state and the NY store is just an hour away from me.

I think our only chance is Tesla becoming more mainstream. Everyone (and I mean everyone) I talk to about my model 3 reservation asks me why I didn't just go to Milford to order my Model 3. No one realizes selling Teslas is even illegal, never mind a bill like SB3 existing. Until that changes I fear similar bills will continue to fail. My guess is sometime around 2019 at the earliest.

I agree with a lot of this - I've always thought that dealerships should have left well enough alone - they had laws in place protecting the relationship with their manufacturer. So why pervert the laws in such a way that if (read 'when') they lose, they lose the nice cozy protectionist box they've been sitting in? Manufacturers are ready to sell online - you can design and price out a vehicle today on just about every website, just can't purchase it. So of course they're worried. Consumers will choose & it's likely they won't choose the dodo bird.

But none of it explains why GM is behind so much of the activity we see going on. It feels personal, like they've lost sight of the business goal and are just determined to win at any cost, while ignoring the long-term impact on their reputation. I am honestly dumbfounded by their actions.
---
But as to your point that people aren't going to care enough... we have to help them care. What I mean by that is while letter writing is necessary, a good way to connect with your legislator, the public doesn't see that. Legislators can write nice replies and never let you know they voted the opposite of the 100:1 letters they received. You only know they voted in opposition to your position.

Publicity. Letters to the local paper. Participate at National Drive Electric Week in September & let people know they can't buy a Tesla locally. Anything that makes it clear what public opinion is - and then show up show up show up for hearings. Shine a light on the vote.

Reactions: Nikxice and Lanny
TESLA COMMITS TO BUILDING REGIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER IN CONNECTICUT IF LEGISLATION ALLOWING DIRECT SALES PASSES THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY

(MILFORD, CT) – Following a recent poll that found overwhelming support for bringing Tesla to Connecticut, Tesla Motors today announced that they will open a regional distribution center in Connecticut if the legislature passes Senate Bill 3 to help meet the increasing demand for their vehicles. The facility would add more than 150 jobs on top of the 25 jobs per store that the company will build if allowed to bring their direct sales model to the state.

“Tesla is prepared to make a real and lasting commitment to Connecticut,” said Will Nicholas, Government Relations Manager at Tesla Motors. “We want to invest here. We want to create jobs here. And we want to serve Connecticut customers. The jobs created by this facility, in addition to the jobs created at each and every store, are good paying jobs with good benefits.”

Specifically, Tesla is willing to commit to building a New England Distribution Center employing up to 150 personnel within the next 18 months if the State enacts a law that enables Tesla to own and operate five stores.

Cumulative employment at these six facilities will reach 275 jobs for Connecticut residents. These are high quality jobs with salaries ranging from $40K to $100K, full benefits, and opportunities to earn equity in Tesla. Sales personnel are full time employees of Tesla, earning primarily salary with only a marginal commission supplement. Service personnel are highly trained and qualified and are paid on an hourly basis to ensure customer satisfaction in contrast to general industry practice of compensating personnel on a job basis. Distribution personnel are also salaried personnel.

Recently, Tesla released a statewide poll that surveyed 600 likely Connecticut voters and found that the vast majority supported allowing Tesla to do business in the state. Of the residents surveyed, 76% were in favor of such legislation, and 63% indicated opposition to a potential cap on the number of stores Tesla Motors could build throughout the state. Tesla’s efforts to bring sustainable transportation to Connecticut found support among registered Democrats, Republicans, and Independents alike.

The company estimates that each showroom could create 25 jobs and contribute $8-10M in direct economic impact, in addition to nearly $1.7M in sales tax revenue.

About Tesla

Tesla Motors' (NASDAQ: TSLA) goal is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transport with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures electric vehicles, as well as renewable energy storage.

###

• Informative
Reactions: Lanny
Connecticut residents, it ain't over till it's over. In Maryland, our direct sales bill passed with literally five minutes to spare in the legislative session. It was a race to beat the stroke of midnight and the race was won!

Never give up. Keep the pressure on. Call your representatives!

In this TV interview, a spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers discusses the Connecticut "Tesla bill."
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers discuss Tesla in CT

This is a very frustrating interview. At the end the representative admits that he doesn't think that there will be any financial impact on the current dealership model if this bill passes but yet still opposes it. He says its not fair to have two systems of car sales at the same time as his main argument against. Someone needs to tell this guy its not fair to stop any company from selling cars people want to buy.

In the beginning of the interview he also is asked if Tesla sales are only done online and says "you've got to ask Tesla if that's how they do it" and then later in the interview mocks the Tesla sales method as out of touch by saying essentially where are you going to get a car you bought online serviced? (and he says it as if its 1997 and everyone is still afraid of buying something from amazon.com) or where are you going to take it for a recall? I was looking for the interviewer to remind him there is such as thing as a Tesla service center right in Milford but he never does!

In this TV interview, a spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers discusses the Connecticut "Tesla bill."
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers discuss Tesla in CT
The AAM guy's main argument is that they want a level playing field, and they don't like the way the bill makes a separate set of rules for electric vehicles, so why not delete that part of the bill? Allow any manufacturer that doesn't have franchised dealers to sell directly.

The traditional manufacturers might go for that, so they can sell direct like Tesla, but the dealers clearly wouldn't. The ensuing battle between traditional manufacturers and their dealers would be a much bigger news story than the "Tesla bans" and it would bring the whole issue out in the open.

Of course, the dealer lobby is why the limitation to EVs is there in the first place - to keep the playing field tilted as long as possible.

I'm starting to think that the future vision of roads full of electric autonomous driverless vehicles shuttling everybody around on demand is wrong. The future is actually going to be roads half full of that, and the other half will be Tesla Ranger flatbed trucks, tens of thousands of them, running to and fro to accommodate a million Tesla customers denied access to local Tesla service because of protectionist dealer laws.

The 'three store' request was prior to the insane number of Model 3 reservations - in light of that, 5 stores makes much more sense.

I wonder where the 5 stores might be. One store we know but its fun to speculate on the remaining

1) Greenwich - Confirmed, Tesla has already bought a building (opening pending bill passage)
2) Hartford/West Hartford
3) Milford - upgrade of already existing service center
4) Westport - seems obvious given the wealth here
5) The 5th is hard to speculate as the above 4 cover most of the state pretty well. Perhaps New London, Danbury, or even another in Fairfield county such as Stamford.

My point is I think Tesla could get away with less than 5

I'm starting to think that the future vision of roads full of electric autonomous driverless vehicles shuttling everybody around on demand is wrong. The future is actually going to be roads half full of that, and the other half will be Tesla Ranger flatbed trucks, tens of thousands of them, running to and fro to accommodate a million Tesla customers denied access to local Tesla service because of protectionist dealer laws.

Actually, despite our ridiculous sales laws in CT, we do actually have a service center already located in Milford, CT. This is where CT residents can take delivery of their new car as well as handle any service related issues. They are just not permitted to sell vehicles or even talk about pricing to prospective customers.

I wonder where the 5 stores might be. One store we know but its fun to speculate on the remaining

1) Greenwich - Confirmed, Tesla has already bought a building (opening pending bill passage)
2) Hartford/West Hartford
3) Milford - upgrade of already existing service center
4) Westport - seems obvious given the wealth here
5) The 5th is hard to speculate as the above 4 cover most of the state pretty well. Perhaps New London, Danbury, or even another in Fairfield county such as Stamford.

My point is I think Tesla could get away with less than 5

I agree - 5 seems more than necessary - even with Model 3 volumes. We are a very tiny state geographically so the need for additional locations seems unnecessary. Westport and Greenwich are overkill. Greenwich is all of 10 miles to the Westchester Mall in NY. Westport is a whooping 19 miles to Milford. Of course, given that these and their neighboring towns (New Canaan & Darien) are some of the wealthiest in the nation it could be justified.

Danbury, Manchester or New London would be my guess if pressed. Manchester would be nicely located for a distribution center as it is about equidistant to NY and Boston areas. Just a thought.

We are a very tiny state geographically so the need for additional locations seems unnecessary. Westport and Greenwich are overkill. Greenwich is all of 10 miles to the Westchester Mall in NY. Westport is a whooping 19 miles to Milford. Of course, given that these and their neighboring towns (New Canaan & Darien) are some of the wealthiest in the nation it could be justified.

My first reaction to the Greenwich one was similar, its 10 minutes away from the White Plains one. I think they should have split the difference between greenwich and Westport and put the store in the Stamford Mall if they wanted a presence in Fairfield County.

Sent by Tesla (bolding added by me):

Dear Tesla Supporters of Norwalk and Darien,

As you may have heard, Senate Majority Leader Duff has moved SB 3, the "Tesla" bill to the foot of the calendar, which means it's not likely to be called for a vote this session. This action comes at odds with a recent poll that shows that 72% of likely voters support Tesla and its ability to operate freely in the State. And the turn of events is surprising, given that Duff was the supposed champion to support Tesla and has now fallen victim to special interest pressure from General Motors and the auto dealers:

Tesla, facing failure, raises the ante

Furthermore, Tesla had planned to open as many as five (5) stores and service centers along with a regional distribution center. These facilities would help current Tesla drivers receive (speedier) service and parts and educate new customers on the benefits of driving electric.

Please write or call Majority Leader Duff and encourage him to consider the investments and jobs Tesla will create in Connecticut to support its current and future customers. This legislative progress will help Tesla move forward with its mission to accelerate Connecticut's transition to sustainable transport.

Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff
[email protected]

Thank you in advance, and always, for your support and advocacy!

Be well,
Will Nicholas
Government Relations Manager

Reactions: Nikxice
Apparently Senator Duff believes he should be kept in the loop concerning Tesla's business plans. Certainly Tesla didn't dream up a 'Hail Mary' Connecticut distribution center idea on Monday morning. The Monday, May 2nd announcement by Tesla was probably planned well in advance, timed to bolster the expected Senate vote this week. Instead it seems Tesla was blindsided by Duff, who pulled the plug on SB-3 during last Saturday's session. The letter Bonnie posted today unfortunately suggests Duff has also caved into the auto lobbyists.

The CT Senate has a few options. They can let the bill die again. They can renew the legislation in the future, where eventually it will pass. They can wait for federal action that will mandate there be no restrictions on Tesla sales. Those three options come with the possible loss of the proposed distribution center to another state. The smart action would be to get behind the bill and pass it! The benefits would include the hiring of over two hundred employees, plus the immediate financial and logistical advantages that would be gained by allowing Tesla to sell in state.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Guys/Gals, for those of you who are wondering what can be done other than contacting the local senators.

It is also important to pitch the story to the national media. Historically speaking, national pressure has had a huge impact at getting compromises going even when odds were against Tesla.

In the case of Connecticut, the national media seems to have sadly mostly ignored the ordeal. I only see about 4 pages worth on Google News. And even then most of them are small outlets with only decent sized picking it up being Jalopnik and just recently Autoblog.

I tried pitching the story to some outlets but so far no/little bite. So some assistance on that front would help. This of course can be done by people outside of CT as well.

Though I fear with Tesla earnings coming out, it might flood the news cycle leaving the issue in the back burner. :(