Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash. Ouch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17 months and not a scratch on my X, and then yesterday I got sloppy and cut a corner too sharply. Either that or the curb jumped out and bit my wheel.

Rim Doctor appointment already set up.

Don't you hate that first ding?

2020-09-15 10.34.55.jpg

17 months and not a scratch on my X, and then yesterday I got sloppy and cut a corner too sharply. Either that or the curb jumped out and bit my wheel.

View attachment 588774
I went just over 18months before my first rash. Then 2 days later my wife really went curb surfing. At that point I got it fixed for $125. Can't even tell.

• Funny
Reactions: Qbenjamin

View attachment 588774
Oh be very careful....I cut a corner too tight with my S two years ago...high curb....$6,000 of damage later....and there was no body damage...

I hate low profile.... well I won't go off on that tanget here. Renting cars in the UK and Ireland a couple of years ago they all had low profile tires. No clue why. The first thing that would happen is the GPS would do something weird and I'd pull over on the narrow streets to safely fiddle with it. Scratch. After that first day it wouldn't happen. They still make these things call Curb Finders. They're dirt cheap. They're basically springs and wires that easily clip on to the lower part of a fender. They stick out a bit. If you are near a curb they are the first thing to touch the curb. They make a scratching noise.. and you've just save $200+
After a while you'll get used to where the car is in space and you can take them off. I made a note that anytime I travel and might rent a car to bring along a pair. I'm waiting on a Model Y, with regular tires ... but maybe I should get a pair just as a test and proof of concept.
Something else I noticed on my trip. Initially my son and I rented a huge motorhome. Far too big for the narrow Scottish roads. I slapped the mirror on another mirror on a truck parked on the side of the road, didn't break either though. But it was game over for me. Total nightmare. When my son took over, I used the side mirror to see the painted line on the edge of the road. Using positive reinforcement I only told him when he was about 6-8" from that line. Good... you're good.... within 45 minutes he had it completely dialed in. If I'd made a YouTube video 45 minutes long everyone who drives would watch it. So I say Curb Finders and a lot of curb parking and tight corners until you no longer hear the scrape (of the $15 finders), then you're dialed in. I'll order a set and give it a shot.

Reactions: X-pilot
We park at the curb in front of our house, and do a lot of urban parallel parking. Within a week all four rims were uniformly scratched all the way around, consistently enough that it looks intentional. I saw a product that looked like rubber rings that stick to your rims with some adhesive. I couldn't imagine them or the adhesive surviving the immense pressure when mashed against a concrete curb, but also, they look like my rims already look. Haven't lost any sleep over it.

I have a Porsche that has a tire that will protect the rim. In 11 years of ownership I've grazed a curb maybe twice and both times the tire protected the rim.

I had my Model 3 about a month and took one on the rim. Taken a couple more since. It's like this car attracts curbs, and there's absolutely no protection for the rim.

Reactions: X-pilot